Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 57 classic pickup

JLHooker

Several years ago I bought a 57 classic pickup from Musician's Friend.I installed it in the neck of an Epiphone LP.The pickup never had enough volume.I had to turn the bridge pickup down to balance them.I still have it and I would like to know if its possible that it might be working on just one side.If that is the case, can it be fixed?

I'd recommend checking the resistance on the pickup to find out. Take it to a luthier if you don't have a VOM, and they should be able to test the output.

I'd recommend checking the resistance on the pickup to find out. Take it to a luthier if you don't have a VOM, and they should be able to test the output.

[/quote

Thanks for the reply.What is the correct resistance for a 57 classic?

check the output of the pickup. Also whats your bridge pickup? compare outputs between the two. perhaps try raising the neck pup closer to the strings as this will also effect output

500k volume pot will brighten it up. but can also loose the warmth that your use to from the neck pup. I changed my bridge to 500k and my neck but soon changed the neck back to 300k for the tone. also check your contact points make sure there are no shorts or bad joints.

let us know how you get on

check the output of the pickup. Also whats your bridge pickup? compare outputs between the two. perhaps try raising the neck pup closer to the strings as this will also effect output

500k volume pot will brighten it up. but can also loose the warmth that your use to from the neck pup. I changed my bridge to 500k and my neck but soon changed the neck back to 300k for the tone. also check your contact points make sure there are no shorts or bad joints.

let us know how you get on

Thnaks for the reply. I had a '57 classic plus as my bridge pickup.The volume difference was so great that I had to turn the plus way down to balance them.Itried moving both pickups up and down.I tried the classic in another guitar with the same results.The classic plus in the bridge of the Epi Lp is ok.

• 1 month later...

Archived