Gibson Brands Forums

20 years ago

Silenced Fred

A classic record that changed my approach to songwriting and guitar playing. Every time I hear songs from it, it takes me back to high school.

While I love the song on Nevermind more, I think In Utero was a more accurate sonic representation of the band. A lot of albums like Nevermind suffered from too much polish. Sonic Youth's Goo is another. Pearl Jam's Ten is the worst, production wise. That light digital reverb on everything is so annoying. Makes the music mushy.

Perhaps, I do love the songs in Nevermind but to me Nirvana is simply a Hard Rock band with a Pixies approach and strip down to the bare core not much unlike bands from the 70's.

I like th album Bleach a lot, I also like how Kurt says in their unplgged version of About a Girl: This is a song from our first record, most people don't own it.

Pearl Jam was on the other hand different, I used to lay in bed with my headphones thinking how they come up with their style.

Never noticed the production thing on Ten, I was too busy trying trying to figure out what Vedder sang but I never did....to this day.

I hear you, I think you may have misunderstood my simple comment.

Alice In Chains took a hiatus for a while, Stone Temple Pilots were broken up for a while, (do you know Velvert Revolver?) the Melinvs are for the early 80's.

All I said is that Pearl Jam is the band from the Grunge movement that lasted and I did not expect that, I was wrong. It is really simple.

I am sure there are other bands but please do not read too much into my comment, Tool? when we are talking about Grunge? sorry, not sure what to say.

sorry man didnt mean to sound pedantic..umm just to clarify you said that pearl jam was the only band from that era (the early 90s) still going and when i said tool ..you said you meant grunge bands so i pointed out there were a couple of survivors ..sorry bro didnt mean to sound like a ****** ...the melvins are still together and touring and early eighties? where did kurt cobain go when he was starting out? he hung out with buzz osborne..but yeah i am startig to sound lame so i will stop..hahaa sorry man didnt mean to sound like some smart *** [smile]

sorry man didnt mean to sound pedantic..umm just to clarify you said that pearl jam was the only band from that era (the early 90s) still going and when i said tool ..you said you meant grunge bands so i pointed out there were a couple of survivors ..sorry bro didnt mean to sound like a ****** ...the melvins are still together and touring and early eighties? where did kurt cobain go when he was starting out? he hung out with buzz osborne..but yeah i am startig to sound lame so i will stop..hahaa sorry man didnt mean to sound like some smart *** [smile]

That's OK I said "that lasted" I know what bands are "still going" after they got together after breaking up.

I knew the Melvins from the early 80's I did not think they were Grunge since that label came much later on per se but I may be wrong, I am not the resident Grunge expert after all, I am 42 so I was there, I just didn't pay a hell of a lot of attention.

IMHO Nirvana are one of a rare bread of bands that if you just strip the music down to just chords on an acoustic guitar and a vocal melody (either sung or played on another instrument), the songs stand up as wonderfully crafted pieces of music. Personally, I am never interested if music borrows from previous movements, or what the latest pop culture 'buzz word' terms is to coin a genre, it is about how well the music is written and how damn good it sounds [thumbup] In this respect Nirvana just had a knack for writing great melodic music.

Matt

I was a Junior in High School. Nevermind changed my life forever. Until that point, the newest album I listened to was Rush Moving Pictures from the early 80s. After Nirvana, it all changed.

First time I heard Teen Spirit was on LSD. My oh My.

Forever

That's OK I said "that lasted" I know what bands are "still going" after they got together after breaking up.

I knew the Melvins from the early 80's I did not think they were Grunge since that label came much later on per se but I may be wrong, I am not the resident Grunge expert after all, I am 42 so I was there, I just didn't pay a hell of a lot of attention.

yeah same i am no expert and i am even older haha but the melvins had a huge influence on these guys.. basically kurt cobain really looked up to buzz osborne who as you say was very active in the 80s..he hung out with buzz and melvins and really would have got his launch from being round those guys ..some great music came from that era..i still remember nirvana being the biggest band at the time pearl jam were huge to of course so a lot of us older dudes will like this era..

I liked most of Nirvana's music, but I really wasn't in to the whole grunge scene too much...That alienated, misunderstood, angst thing.

That whole scene was weird to me. I knew people who had money, but started shopping at thrift stores just to find the ugliest, drab clothing they could find. Too many people were trying too hard to look like they weren't trying [unsure]

Archived