Gibson Brands Forums

The Yardbirds

BobB

I was thinking about the root beginnings of some of the great guitar players. Eric Clapton, Jeck Beck and Jimmy Page were all in the Yardbirds. Has any other group besides the Yardbirds had three guitarist go on to greatness in there own right? (PS: Jimmy Page started out playing bass for the Yardbirds before he played guitar for the group.)

I LOVE the original Yardbirds. BUT...The new incarnation, leaves me confused...they sound like

ever other modern Hard-Rock or Metal band, to me. Terrific players, but not the rawness and

spark, that the original had, regardless of who was on guitar, at that time. Keith Relf was

the signature (vocal'harmonica) sound, of the original Yardbirds. The new version is "Yardbirds"

in name only...IMHO. Led Zeppelin was the (more) natural progression, for me. But even they weren't

really the same kind of band, stylistically. The Yardbirds, were (really) kind of unique.

CB

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers had E.C. ('65), Peter Green ('66) and Mick Taylor ('66 - '69) one after the other.

Errmmm,..... do I really need to add that Eric Clapton left to form Cream; P.G., probably much to JM's relief, took the latter's rhythm section which became the nucleus of Fleetwood Mac; and Mick Taylor left the Bluesbreakers to join the Rolling Stones....

No. I thought not.

Just for a bit of trivia-related fun; Clapton and Green were both 20 when they joined the Bluesbreakers whereas, after three years with the band, Taylor was 20 when he left them.....

P.

I humbly submit Humble Pie - with Steve Marriot and Peter Frampton. Frampton was replaced by Clem Clempson (Bakerloo and Colosseum). And in 1979 Marriott brought back Humble Pie with Bobby Tench (Jeff Beck Group). Certainly not as famous, or as highly regarded, but fine guitarists nonetheless.

I LOVE the original Yardbirds. BUT...The new incarnation, leaves me confused...they sound like

ever other modern Hard-Rock or Metal band, to me. Terrific players, but not the rawness and

spark, that the original had, regardless of who was on guitar, at that time. Keith Relf was

the signature (vocal'harmonica) sound, of the original Yardbirds. The new version is "Yardbirds"

in name only...IMHO. Led Zeppelin was the (more) natural progression, for me. But even they weren't

really the same kind of band, stylistically. The Yardbirds, were (really) kind of unique.

CB

Have you ever listen to Birdland. There a few legends, like Vai and Slash playing on the album. However, nobody can sit in for Keith. I do enjoy the album. Check out the link below

Yardbirds Birdland

And as Stevejoshlay seems to be asleep I suppose I'll have to mention Thin Lizzy.

Eric Bell was fine but then came a right royal purple patch with Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham, Gary Moore (twice) and Snowy White taking up the challenge...

Nor should we forget Phil Lynott had quite an amount of talent himself !

P.

Have you ever listen to Birdland. There a few legends, like Vai and Slash playing on the album. However, nobody can sit in for Keith. I do enjoy the album. Check out the link below

Yardbirds Birdland

Yeah, I have, Bill. Thanks. Good listen, and They're great players...no doubt! But,

when you grew up, on the originals, and got to see them, "live" just a few feet away

(you could go up to the stage, in those days), with both Beck and Page, in the band,

at the same time, and Keith Relf doing lead vocals and harmonica...Man, THAT was/is

"The Yardbirds," for me. That (simpler) "raw/edginess" was great...IMHO.

It was especially rewarding, when they'd get into an extended "groove" or "Rave up,"

as the used to call it, and feed off one another, and the audience, too! Fun Stuff! Saw them,

several times...once in Wichita, at the Cotillion Ballroom, and another time, at the City

Auditorium, in Colorado Springs.

CB

CB

There's a New Yardbirds? Is any original members in it?

OT, it's hard to come up with a modern example like the Yardbirds. Seems Audiences since the 80's aren't as willing to accept an artist solo career. Joe walsh was one of the last guys to go from Successful Bad, to Solo, to Successful Band, to Solo.

You could say The Eagles produced some pretty darn good talent that went on to be pretty successful, but not the magnitude of those that came from the Yardbirds.

There's a New Yardbirds? Is any original members in it?

OT, it's hard to come up with a modern example like the Yardbirds. Seems Audiences since the 80's aren't as willing to accept an artist solo career. Joe walsh was one of the last guys to go from Successful Bad, to Solo, to Successful Band, to Solo.

You could say The Eagles produced some pretty darn good talent that went on to be pretty successful, but not the magnitude of those that came from the Yardbirds.

Not sure, at this time, if Jim McCarty (Drums) and Chris Dreja (Rhythm guitar/bass) are still

doing that, or not. I think they are in the new incarnation! They would be the only "original"

members, left.

I think there's a "Yardbirds" web-page, that has all that history, including the various incarnations,

and memberships.

Later Edit...

Try This: http://www.theyardbirds.com/

CB

I love the Yardbirds. One of my favorite 60s bands ( probably my favorite Brit band of that scene next to the Stones, Kinks, and the Animals ). Over Under Sideways Down, Shapes of Things, I'm a Man, Evil Hearted You, Happenings Ten Times Ago, Heart Full of Soul, and Train Kept A Rollin' are some of my favorite songs of all time. Although all three eras ( as in Clapton era, Beck era, Page era ) are fantastic, I'm particular to the Jeff Beck era, only because of the fierceness and intensity he brought on and because those are the best Yardbirds songs ( IMHO!! ). To me, they were the heaviest band before Led Zeppelin ( The Kinks weren't proto metal, they were proto punk. Hendrix was heavy but he was more blues and "acid rock". Cream wasn't really heavy they were just groovey and thumpy IMHO, almost too talented for their own good ). The Yardbirds is where it all started man! Without them no Zeppelin, Cream ( maybe ), Aerosmith, no Kiss. I say no Kiss only because Ace Frehley would not be here if it weren't for them.

I love the Yardbirds. One of my favorite 60s bands ( probably my favorite Brit band of that scene next to the Stones, Kinks, and the Animals ). Over Under Sideways Down, Shapes of Things, I'm a Man, Evil Hearted You, Happenings Ten Times Ago, Heart Full of Soul, and Train Kept A Rollin' are some of my favorite songs of all time. Although all three eras ( as in Clapton era, Beck era, Page era ) are fantastic, I'm particular to the Jeff Beck era, only because of the fierceness and intensity he brought on and because those are the best Yardbirds songs ( IMHO!! ). To me, they were the heaviest band before Led Zeppelin ( The Kinks weren't proto metal, they were proto punk. Hendrix was heavy but he was more blues and "acid rock". Cream wasn't really heavy they were just groovey and thumpy IMHO, almost too talented for their own good ). The Yardbirds is where it all started man! Without them no Zeppelin, Cream ( maybe ), Aerosmith, no Kiss. I say no Kiss only because Ace Frehley would not be here if it weren't for them.

Woah [mellow][thumbup]

Not sure, at this time, if Jim McCarty (Drums) and Chris Dreja (Rhythm guitar/bass) are still

doing that, or not. I think they are in the new incarnation! They would be the only "original"

members, left.

I think there's a "Yardbirds" web-page, that has all that history, including the various incarnations,

and memberships.

Later Edit...

Try This: http://www.theyardbirds.com/

CB

Thanks CB [thumbup]

If they never broke up, they would have been strong competition for the Stones and the Beatles. On the other hand, I am glad they broke up, because if they stayed together, we may have never had Led Zepplin, Cream and the Jeff Beck Group.

Archived