Gibson Brands Forums

Soliciting advice on impending computer purchase

bluzhammer

dude i got a dell xps 17 about 6 months ago it has very fast sandy bridge cpu with 7200 rpm hard drives 1.2 terrabyte as i use pro tools..i have been very pleased with it very good reliable machine only issue is heat as fast graphics on laptops can generate heat this is only a real problem if you play games a lot but as i dont really play games these days it is not an issue ..

it really depends on your budget and what you after ..are you after a desktop? mine is a desktop replacement it is vary powerful laptop but not as mobile as some..the new sandy bridge and ivy bridge intel cpus are very impressive very powerful..win 7 pro 64 is a good way to go very stable try to get a reasonably fast hard drive they are quite cheap and large these days ..

if you can give me more specific specs that you are after i may be able to check out web find something suitable

after a major meltdown on our last unit, we went with a toshiba laptop. nice, compact and is plenty powerful enough for our needs. stay away from hp, del, and mac, and you should be fine [biggrin]

did i say, mac sux [laugh]

macsucks.gif

high end dell laptops are good coz they bought alienware and use alot of technology on them ..trust me i researched this alot the xps and alienware are very good below that yeah i would stay away from them but the high end gear is excellent trust me i got one it is a beast..its an awesome machine ..just depends how much your budget is i spent 2 grand so i got this and i am very pleased with it..its a beast

oh yeah macs suck [thumbup]

I have been considering a good laptop as a replacement or an all in one desktop, I have an external hard drive I store all my photos on so I am trending away from a tower type setup.

that is the nice thing about the laptops now. if you get 3-4 years out of it, just chuck it and buy a new one if it goes south. just save important things to disc and forget about it.

if you're a gamer, you will want to invest a little more thought, and definitely a lot more money into it. good luck, and just think what you could buy if you save a bunch of money [biggrin]

that is the nice thing about the laptops now. if you get 3-4 years out of it, just chuck it and buy a new one if it goes south. just save important things to disc and forget about it.

if you're a gamer, you will want to invest a little more thought, and definitely a lot more money into it. good luck, and just think what you could buy if you save a bunch of money [biggrin]

definitely maybe a new guitar msp_thumbup.gif

games change it they the most demanding thing for computers the new cpus r very powerful a decent laptop will do a lot a tower did once u can also hook it up to a large monitor to if you want..i got a 24 inch monitor to use occasionally ..sandy bridge cpus have WiDi so u can wirelessly hood up to lcd tv too

I have been considering a good laptop as a replacement or an all in one desktop, I have an external hard drive I store all my photos on so I am trending away from a tower type setup.

thats what i did went with a desktop replacement laptop...any i5 or i7 sandy bridge cpu is good..good brands are asus toshiba dell xps not there cheap laptops just the xps which is awesome...lenovo ..stay away from hp and acer and cheap dell ..asus have a very rep in the info tech industry they make good gear ..toshiba are ok quite good,, but after mountains of research i went for dell xps 17 and have not regretted it ..otherwise i would have got an asus

I have a Gateway desktop computer that I bought 3 years ago and wouldn't recommend them to anybody. I've had to replace a lot parts in this computer because of how they use extremely cheap components to cut costs, I'm lucky I can do the repairs my own self.

I'm on my netbook now, the main home machine croaked yesterday, so I'm off to Best Buy here in a bit. Besides the obvious Appleites, what are some of you guys using at home ?

Two mini macs, an i mac and two apple i phones [flapper]

I wouldn't even mind people thinking I was Scottish and having my surname changed to Mac Sear :)

Matt

I'm an Asus whore. I've used Asus components for years when building my PC's, and they are top notch in my opinion.

In fact, I know Alienware used Asus motherboards in some of their models back when they were good.

Oh, and Macs don't suck.

I'm an Asus whore. I've used Asus components for years when building my PC's, and they are top notch in my opinion.

In fact, I know Alienware used Asus motherboards in some of their models back when they were good.

Oh, and Macs don't suck.

u r right about asus i worked in IT for years and asus have a top rep..i dont like macs as i cant go into the system properly which sucks plus all the pretty pics confuse me as a i trained to be an engineer which means i cant use pretty pics cute interface on macs os

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your computer. Both PC and MAC have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you never have a need to get into the system properties then there is nothing wrong with a MAC. Oh there is that little thing about lack of MAC support from some organizations but in time that will change due to mac's increased sales.

With a PC running windows you have the obvious window's junk to deal with but for the most part it's acceptable - updating systems constantly to close back doors, always updating antivirus etc...

You could get a PC and run Vector Linux... I'm just sayin'

Or you could install a dual boot system and keep windows and have vector or another Linux of your choice.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your computer. Both PC and MAC have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you never have a need to get into the system properties then there is nothing wrong with a MAC. Oh there is that little thing about lack of MAC support from some organizations but in time that will change due to mac's increased sales.

With a PC running windows you have the obvious window's junk to deal with but for the most part it's acceptable - updating systems constantly to close back doors, always updating antivirus etc...

You could get a PC and run Vector Linux... I'm just sayin'

Or you could install a dual boot system and keep windows and have vector or another Linux of your choice.

yeah thats true there good and bad on both platforms windows has got a lot of problems a dual boot into linux is a good idea ..linux is by far the most stable os out there but doesnt have many apps..macs make great systems particularly for artists musicians etc like recording is usually done on a pro level with macs as they dont have the variable issues that pcs have with so many hardware configs and they have that easier interface as many people dont want to be bothered with system access..thats important to me as like to be a geek and have always like having that access since dos

i think microsoft make ridiculous software its cr@p alot of the time and is full of holes they could never make a decent os on their own kernel and had to start using linux kernel which finally meant more stable operations.. they stole macs interface..but i got so used to em and i made alot of money fixing bill gates mistakes [biggrin]

comparing macs to pcs is a bit like comparing gibsons to fenders they are both quite different both have good aspects to them it boils down to personnel preference and what your uses are ..for me its better to use pcs and they are by far the dominant platform ..macs are good for many people ..if my life depended on it i would use linux as its by far the stable and accessible os and the most dominant in wide area networks the web is using tcp/ip which evolved out of unix..though its not an easy os by any means

comparing macs to pcs is a bit like comparing gibsons to fenders they are both quite different both have good aspects to them it boils down to personnel preference and what your uses are ..for me its better to use pcs and they are by far the dominant platform ..macs are good for many people ..if my life depended on it i would use linux as its by far the stable and accessible os and the most dominant in wide area networks the web is using tcp/ip which evolved out of unix..though its not an easy os by any means

You know that Mac OS is really just Unix with a pretty shell, right? Pull up a console, and you have all the accessibility you'll ever need. [biggrin]

I'm on my netbook now, the main home machine croaked yesterday, so I'm off to Best Buy here in a bit. Besides the obvious Appleites, what are some of you guys using at home ?

bottom line blueznammer ..just suggesting if you want to get good lively laptop and dont want to spend too much may be consider a sandy bridge i5 ..if you are going pc usually asus are a good buy there other brands ..like toshiba..maybe avoid dell at that price range unlesss ita an xps..but if you got an asus i5 for a modest amount you should be getting a good well built reliable computer which would be quite powerful ..win 7 64 is a big improvement for microsoft too

You know that Mac OS is really just Unix with a pretty shell, right? Pull up a console, and you have all the accessibility you'll ever need. [biggrin]

true i really dont know enough about macs i was sort of put of by the lack of access..i am sure the access is there if you really know where to go ..yeah for sure if had access to linux kernel that would be very powerful ..thats cool i hadnt heard that before i should try and keep a more open mind i get to set in my ways sometimes

Well, I came home with a Sony, all in one , I - 5 processor, 500 GB, it has just about everything I need. I considered a Mac, but the only advantage I could see to it was graphics and some of the neat little programs , also I had a hard time convincing myself that for an extra 3 - 400 dollars it was any better than the Sony or Asus that I was considering with basically the same same features. Macs look to be great toys. Since I also run a business from home in addition to my ATT&T gig, a Windows based platform seemed more functional.

HNPCD....!!

Sony has a reputation akin to Honda in terms of bullet-proof hardware

Personally I've used Toshiba laptops for the last 10yrs with 3yearly upgrades

Still can't get over feeding U-Tube in stereo into a PA for fun and play-along ability....

V

:-({|=

Archived