Gibson Brands Forums

Soliciting advice on impending computer purchase

bluzhammer

Well, I came home with a Sony, all in one , I - 5 processor, 500 GB, it has just about everything I need. I considered a Mac, but the only advantage I could see to it was graphics and some of the neat little programs , also I had a hard time convincing myself that for an extra 3 - 400 dollars it was any better than the Sony or Asus that I was considering with basically the same same features. Macs look to be great toys. Since I also run a business from home in addition to my ATT&T gig, a Windows based platform seemed more functional.

well done yeah a sony is fine for business and general type use an i5 is a good cpu you should get value out of that ..macs are good for people who use them in those ways in many respects pcs have basically copied them to improve.. all the major studios use macs for recording and apps like pro tools are setup for them which i find a little frustrating as things like firewire dominate the pro level interfaces and firewire is a mac interface that is pretty much been phased out

i think you have made a good choice for ypou requirements i assume you got a sony vaio but an i5 is very good value..i went for an uber beast pc as i want to record so i wanted the longevity and powerful DAW but you have done well i think [thumbup]

HNPCD....!!

Sony has a reputation akin to Honda in terms of bullet-proof hardware

Personally I've used Toshiba laptops for the last 10yrs with 3yearly upgrades

Still can't get over feeding U-Tube in stereo into a PA for fun and play-along ability....

V

:-({|=

toshiba are one of the good brands for sure i came close to getting a sattelite very nice machines they have always had a good rep

Interesting thread....I bought my gal a Toshiba Laptop, she says it's "glitchy".....Any thoughts on the " Leveno " brand ????

Any thoughts from those who build (or have) built their own computer ??? Thanks all........

Good choice you made I believe. For me it's a no brainer because I have too much invested in software that only runs on Windows. Have you priced what Adobe CS5 or CS5.5 cost these days? After buying the computer I would spend nearly a grand on that one software suite alone.

I want a mac just to play around with it.

Speaking of video jams... I sort of like watching Roger's live video feed. I've not heard from him in a long time.

I loved that idea too! Before he moved to Sweden, he had that up and coming band do a live set - and there was a live chat where you got to ask questions about the music! It was a great idea. but I don't think the idea has continued in Sweden.

He is on facebook and would probably love to hear from you! He is by all accounts doing well spending lots of time with his wife and kids and also studying lots of music!

Matt

Archived