Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Rivoli Bass

Ciz

I was watching PBS, and recently saw Ed Sullivan's Rock and Roll. The program included the Beatles, Stones, and many others. The one group that really brought back my band days as a kid, was the Animals. We used to cover many Animal tunes, including "We got to get out of this place". Chas Chandler played an Epiphone Rivoli Bass on it, (or at least that show) what a great sound! I love the fact it's a thin hollow body, and short scale. Though I only play bass occasionally, I'd love to own one, and would certainly purchase a reissue. Anybody think there we'll ever see a reissue?

I was watching PBS, and recently saw Ed Sullivan's Rock and Roll. The program included the Beatles, Stones, and many others. The one group that really brought back my band days as a kid, was the Animals. We used to cover many Animal tunes, including "We got to get out of this place". Chas Chandler played an Epiphone Rivoli Bass on it, (or at least that show) what a great sound! I love the fact it's a thin hollow body, and short scale. Though I only play bass occasionally, I'd love to own one, and would certainly purchase a reissue. Anybody think there we'll ever see a reissue?

You can find them readily at bigger music stores and there generally be one or two listed on Ebay. I picked up a 90's re-issue for $600 which might seem high but this bass feels great, sounds great, and was in immaculate shape. I alternate it with my Gibson EB-2D and my Ibanez AEB-10. I also own an EB-2 Custom that was builkt with two of the fat humbuckers instead of the tinny mini humbucker on the standards. I am not sure of the date of this bass as the serial numbers were replaced with the name ALICE carved in. It has the toggle switch (3 way) instead of the Baritone push button, so I believe its an early issue. In converstaions with Gibson, they have no idea when or for who it was made. Insided label is a Kalamazoo label stamped CUSTOM. It suffer ed a tragic accident which snapped its neck in half and I havent had the dinero or someone capable or swapping the neck out for me. It appears to have had one neck swap already as the set joint looks pretty sloppy which the EB-2's did not have that characteristic.

So start looking and I am sure an Epi will come your way!

Hey Ciz,

Forgot to say... 'Welcome to the Forum'... it's a very cool place indeed... &, per my 'lust list' below, it looks like we are both on the same Rivoli safari... Good luck with that man... & keep us posted [thumbup]

Here's a drool clip to keep ya goin' [biggrin]

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56858-show-me-epi-basses-in-action/page__view__findpost__p__766191

Cheers,

Eggs, "Hand Built to Order" with a professional clientele. "Over the years his customers have included Pete Townshend, Dave Davies, David Bowie, Rory Gallagher, Paul Weller, Davey Arthur (Fureys), Sweet, The Cure, The Levellers, New Order, The Alarm, ..."

I wouldn't even inquire without a spare $7000 in my back pocket.

I'm OUT...

• 2 weeks later...

Eggs, "Hand Built to Order" with a professional clientele. "Over the years his customers have included Pete Townshend, Dave Davies, David Bowie, Rory Gallagher, Paul Weller, Davey Arthur (Fureys), Sweet, The Cure, The Levellers, New Order, The Alarm, ..."

I wouldn't even inquire without a spare $7000 in my back pocket.

That ends GAS just as it was about to start.

Archived