Gibson Brands Forums

Been to a good live show lately?

NeoConMan

I'm going to chick corea with john mcluaghlin in april. Anyone else hitting up that tour?

Yep - they're playing at the Sydney Opera House in February - which reminds me - I must book.

And we are looking forward to John Scofield and Joe Lovano on 28 October.

We enjoyed Marilyn Crispell a few weeks ago - she's a very fine improvisiational pianist who records for ECM.

RN

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely!

BUDDY GUY @ RED ROCKS in late August & FOO FIGHTERS @ RED ROCKS in early September.

Both kicked *** in their own unique way!

I was hoping to catch B.B. King @ the Boulder Theatre this month but the show was cancelled.

buddy is insanely entertaining live. he plays at his chicago bar every weekend in january. i've gotta get there this year. i saw him at ACL 05. one of the highlights for sure.

Better late than never.......... Sorry that thing called work has had me by the @#**$

Anyway, the Kubek show was great!!!! Funny thing, when they finally opened the doors, I found my seat, ordered an adult beverage, and then noticed.......hey there are no drums up there, no amps, no guitars, no bass....you get the idea.

Yep, they were late. So we got to watch them load in and set up. A sound check was done on the drums and that was it. Then they went outside for a smoke and whatever. Too funny.

But when they came in.......they all played and they all played hard. Truly a great show and one of the first ones that I honestly felt that the musicians sounded as good if not better live then on an album.

Kubek really can play....REALLY!!!!..... and Bnois King has the perfect voice for the songs they right and plays a good solid rhythm and when it is his turn for a lead, he too holds up his end of the deal. What was really cool, and I dont know how he did it, Bnois was able to get his Gibson hollow body to sound like a Hammond(sp) organ.

Now Kubek does not play a Gibson but,.......... If you get a chance to see these cats you must go!!!!!

I really like the small venues and $10.00 to get in????? You cant ask for better.....well maybe $8.00 but lets not push it!!!!

GO CHECK THEM OUT!!!!!!!

I should also add, If you get the chance to see Tinsley Ellis, you should do that as well. I also saw his show at The Rythym Room and it too was great!!!!!!

B.B. came to Flagstaff this past summer and I did go to that show......sadly, it wasnt great. They just never got the sound right and through most of the night all you could hear was the horn section.

Even when B. B. would just talk you couldnt hear him..... I am glad that I had seen him before at a better venue.

I also saw SRV at the same venue (Celeberty Theater in Phoenix) some clown actually tried to steal his hat!!!!! as he was walking off stage, he got it, but let me tell you......Stevie also got it back!!!!!!!!!!

Not exactly live - but I sat up last night and listened to our very own Jinder do three numbers live on the radio with the Mercurymen. Go BBC Radio Two Janice Long on Google and listen back, they do the three about 16 minutes in. All playing Gibsons too.....

• 1 year later...

Sir Paul back to back nights opening our new arena in Aug. and Rush in Sept.

The first nights crowd was all the corp. stuffed shirts and freebees. Great show average crowd.They were there for the Historical opening not a rock concert.

The second night you could just feel the buzz in the air and I mentioned to my wife that I think this night has the real music fans

Fantastic show fantastic audience.

Rush was excellent also as they played the entire Moving Pictures album start to finish.

Saw Modest Mouse and Eric Clapton this year, both were great shows. Will be seeing Greg Dulli next month, which will be a tremendous show (seen him 4 times already in different bands so I know what to expect). He will be doing this show with just him, a guitarist, and a bass player so it should be an absolutely beautiful show.

Last week I went to Budapest with my wife and my mother-in-law (her 80th birthday present).

While there I heard the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra play a couple of pieces by Debussy and Dvorak's Symphony #9. They also did one of Dvorak's Slavonic Dances for an encore.

I was impressed with the orchestra and even more impressed with the audience.

Unlike US audiences they really came to listen. During the concert and even in the silence between pieces or movements not a word was spoken, no programs were rustled, no candy or crackers unwrapped and no texting either. And nobody left the theater until the musicians walked off the stage after the encore.

I also heard a lot of "gypsy" music in the cafes, restaurants and on the streets. Some of it quite excellent.

Budapest turned out to be a great city, and I highly recommend it.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I saw Elton John at the ESSAR Centre in Sault Ste. Marie Ont. on July 12.Was a big Elton fan when he was in his heyday but didn't know what to expect.To my surprise on stage with Elton were Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson.They played for 3 solid hours.Elton is still a great performer even if his voice isn't what it used to be.Davey's Les Pauls sounded just like they did in the 1970s on their records.So did the backing vocals.Fantastic show.

Archived