Gibson Brands Forums

issue with the neck and binding of my black custom

awel

Did that just happen, or did you just notice it? Is it a crack?

At some places I can feel it under my finger, I think this is just happening.

do you ever seen something like this?

Yep. I saw a few posted about a year ago. Some of those were a lot worse - separation visible. As I recall Gibson fixed some of those saying it was due the use of improperly dried wood.

Just this summer I saw a post about it on either the LP or SG forum. Can't recall the outcome of that one.

Yep. I saw a few posted about a year ago. Some of those were a lot worse - separation visible. As I recall Gibson fixed some of those saying it was due the use of improperly dried wood.

Just this summer I saw a post about it on either the LP or SG forum. Can't recall the outcome of that one.

So do you think that is serious?

Should I ask the store where I bought it 1 year ago for the warranty to handle it?

So do you think that is serious?

Should I ask the store where I bought it 1 year ago for the warranty to handle it?

Thats probably the best solution if you didnt want to cost and hastle of fixing it yourself

So, is the guitar about 1 year old? That may or may not make a difference.

I also have seen a few times on this forum of cases of the fingerboard separating from the neck. Also, a couple cases of the top separating. (specifically, one case that was confirmed by Gibson and another that was thought to be the same). If the wood pieces are separating, that is an issue regardless of age, and a true defect.

But also, when MOST Gibson's leave the factory and are brand new, they will look like they are perfect in some areas. The headstock will look perfectly flat and smooth, the back may look perfectly flat, ect. But as the guitar ages, the wood will change shape slightly and the seams will become more visable, and in certain areas like the headstock logo, neck joint, binding, there WILL be small finish cracks that may form. Just look at any vintage or older Gibby, and you will see them.

That pic looks like it would be worth checking, and the pic makes it look like it MIGHT be kinda bad (pics can be deceiving). Hopefully, you have access to a COMPETENT luthier, as there are ways to see if it is just the finish or a matter of separation.

If it is just the finish, it could happen in a year or so if you are actually playing the guitar a lot and subjecting it to stresses and climate changes. Even if you never ding it, (like that would ever be a reality) there will be wear. You just keep on rocking the thing, use the appropriate polishes and regardless of age and wear, it will STILL be a thing of beauty.

IMHO, that does not look good..........The cause ??? Could indeed be wood not properly cured.....I know you baby your guitars........

So, it's not "user error", at all............I have seen that before, but, that's the worst I've ever seen......Warranty in effect still ????

If not, that looks like a structual defect...............No warranty needed...........................

I've seen this happen on a couple of Rickenbackers and it was caused by the truss rod.

Bob

Interesting; If a neck's action is fine, what goes wrong with a truss rod to make something like this happen ??.....

Interesting; If a neck's action is fine, what goes wrong with a truss rod to make something like this happen ??.....

The custom went for a setting one year ago, but same string gauges as factory 10s-46, same tunning std, so I don't know why this happened only now after one year.

Tomorrow morning, I will go to the music store, but I don't know why, but I have the feeling that I will face sentences like, the employee:you let guitar down

Me: no, never, if yes ther should be some hit on it no?

Emplyee: so you let the case down with the guitar inside

Me: never

[thumbdn]

The custom went for a setting one year ago, but same string gauges as factory 10s-46, same tunning std, so I don't know why this happened only now after one year.

Tomorrow morning, I will go to the music store, but I don't know why, but I have the feeling that I will face sentences like, the employee:you let guitar down

Me: no, never, if yes ther should be some hit on it no?

Emplyee: so you let the case down with the guitar inside

Me: never

[thumbdn]

When you go, take notes, ask questions, etc etc.........I know you baby your guitars, so, you haven't hurt the LPC yourself.....

Now, Awel, I owned a 1979 LPC for twenty years....It fell, it was kicked over, it was peed on, I shot it, I slammed it down,

it fell in it's case 20 feet into a river (breaking the case), and I threw it out a second story window....The only damage it

recieved (structually) was a SLIGHT seperation of the fretboard at the neck joint of maybe 1mm for three inches; This

never affected the intonation, action, or anything.........So, IF LPCs are still made the same, then, something is wrong.......

I would probably bet more than a dollar it is a finish crack. They will do nothing.

rct

Besides a too quick "cold/hot' "hot/cold' environment, what would cause a crack like this ???

And, what's the best way to fill in and restore the crack ?? You really know your guitars rct......

I've just been around them a long time, and I've pretty much done whatever you can do with a guitar. All of it. Bad and Good!

Difference in relative moisture content of the fingerboard vs the neck plank, one dries further after the guitar is painted, baBAM, line through the finish, up to the top(I can feel it), when they create even a smidgeon of distance between the two of them. If one dries further than the other, it will shrink enough to sometimes cause this. If the two are within some stupid amount of relative moisture content to each other, they can be put together, if not, not. That's how that happens sometimes.

Same goes for maple top and mahogany back.

Sometimes the binding is applied and it is not allowed to cure, curing on the way out the door in a hurry usually on the truck. That can pull on the finish, causing a line through it along the seam, which this one appears to nearly follow but veers off here and there.

Uneven top coats, and this really can happen at that point, along the edges of the neck, we can all imagine how tough that can be to get finished properly. My les paul is only ten years old and flakes somewhat at the same spot, mostly above(farther from me) the 5th fret. If it isn't cured for each coat, and I don't know how many coats these kids are putting on them these days, it can be somewhat soft on top, get a line, you guessed it, right at that seam area. The finish on the neck usually a little thicker, heavier if you will, than on the fingerboard board.

Good news is you can get that out, sometimes, with good old DuPont polishing compound, if it doesn't go all the way down to the actual seam. And even it if does go all the way down to the actual seam, rubbing compound carefully done would take the finish off the edge of the fingerboard and leave it on the neck edge, eliminating the line.

Or, if it was mine, it is easily remedied with a beer before you start, and one after each set. The audience truly can't hear that line!

Good luck with it OP, but I don't think you will get any help from the company. They do not warranty finish in any way, unless that has changed very recently, and nobody has told me that.

rct

I've just been around them a long time, and I've pretty much done whatever you can do with a guitar. All of it. Bad and Good!

Difference in relative moisture content of the fingerboard vs the neck plank, one dries further after the guitar is painted, baBAM, line through the finish, up to the top(I can feel it), when they create even a smidgeon of distance between the two of them. If one dries further than the other, it will shrink enough to sometimes cause this. If the two are within some stupid amount of relative moisture content to each other, they can be put together, if not, not. That's how that happens sometimes.

Same goes for maple top and mahogany back.

Sometimes the binding is applied and it is not allowed to cure, curing on the way out the door in a hurry usually on the truck. That can pull on the finish, causing a line through it along the seam, which this one appears to nearly follow but veers off here and there.

Uneven top coats, and this really can happen at that point, along the edges of the neck, we can all imagine how tough that can be to get finished properly. My les paul is only ten years old and flakes somewhat at the same spot, mostly above(farther from me) the 5th fret. If it isn't cured for each coat, and I don't know how many coats these kids are putting on them these days, it can be somewhat soft on top, get a line, you guessed it, right at that seam area. The finish on the neck usually a little thicker, heavier if you will, than on the fingerboard board.

Good news is you can get that out, sometimes, with good old DuPont polishing compound, if it doesn't go all the way down to the actual seam. And even it if does go all the way down to the actual seam, rubbing compound carefully done would take the finish off the edge of the fingerboard and leave it on the neck edge, eliminating the line.

Or, if it was mine, it is easily remedied with a beer before you start, and one after each set. The audience truly can't hear that line!

Good luck with it OP, but I don't think you will get any help from the company. They do not warranty finish in any way, unless that has changed very recently, and nobody has told me that.

rct

The fact is I want to know if is only cosmetic or if this risk to become worth, that my only worry.

I can live with a finish issue even if again, I cannot understand this on 3000€ guitar.

So disappointed recently with 'high'level Gibson models, there is always something wrong with it. I love all my guitars and take care of all of them so I am upset. [angry]

I don't understand why this wouldn't be covered by Gibson's Warranty... [confused] ...If that happened to one of my Gibby's, I'd definitey would expect a warranty replacement...It looks like it's going to continue to get worse as well...

G.Q.C. calls it a " Moisture absorption chamber normally offered as an option."

To me, it looks structural......If it's not, I'm sure it can be cosmetically fixed............

Evolution (but in bad way)

now the crack is visble also on the other side of the neck! [unsure]

Awel, despite me feeling your pain, I'm not feeling the love for buying a new LPC.........

Something ain't right......You didn't try to stain it with your new blue jeans did you ????? [scared] .....

In jest, of course...........About my '79 LPC, my story is true...It was a tank.......................

How come furniture with different woods doesn't crack like this? The glue should hold the joint. I don't think the wood is seasoned enough and they're rushed out of the factory. I wouldn't stand for a year old guitar cracking. I think it needs a top luthier looking at it and put a report in to Gibson. There have been cases on here about fretboards coming away. How many PRS' etc have this problem? None I should imagine.

Archived