Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
awel

issue with the neck and binding of my black custom

Guest farnsbarns

The same thing is happening on my 56 reissue of 1 year old. All along one side if the neck, started on the other side too, and around the inside of the cutaway. I haven't been able to talk to the local (ish) Gibson service centre because they are closed for a while.

While they were stoking the fires of Heritage, and all the machines with McCarty DNA and Les Paul spit on them, Heritage guitars were hemorraghing fingerboards at the neck joint. Like, all of them. Two of our local Heritage dealers sent back literally dozens of them, and both gave up the franchise. In case you've ever wondered, that's why they are direct, because their initial attempts and getting started up crashed hard. At least, that's what happened around here. You couldn't find a new Heritage in this area if you had to. Rising Tongue it's called. heh. he thed rithing tung.

rct

Hi,

So I went to were I bought it, and the guitar will go to Gibson (I guess the european dealer), the guy there told me that this is surely due to the fact that the place where I keep all my guitars is too dry, and so the ebony fretboard has shrinked a little bit and that has cracked the finish [huh]

but anyway she 's gone for at least 4 weeks :(

Like I told them strange that this only happened with that one.

Guest farnsbarns

Yeah, I suspect I'm going to get that line too. My 2002 standard was in the same room for eight years. My luthier made Spanish acoustic has been there for 20years, my epi Sheraton has been in there for 15years (semi hollow = unfinished bare wood open to air). I hope the situation is dealt with in line with my expectation but I don't intend to roll over. Most important thing is to bring it to someone's attention before something comes off and then get told it was dropped or something.

I've got that same kind of cracking on both my Les Paul Specials, and on my Flying V. My SG Standard doesn't have it. Anyway, I freaked out a little when I first saw it, but a luthier friend of mine assured me it's nothing unusual. Does the crack in the finish stop right where the neck starts to attach to the body? If so, it's probably nothing to worry about (as far as the structural integrity of the neck). -The wood on the fretboard and the mahogany on the neck are different densities, and they are going to move around a little, you know, wood swells and contracts with variations in humidity and temperature. The cracking is (at least on my guitars) just a result of that movement. Definitely keep an eye on it. I wouldn't worry that your fretboard is separating or anything major. I'm not sure if Gibson will cover anything like that.

Guest farnsbarns

On mine the crack continues all the way along the finger board, on to the area where it is attached to the maple cap and also around the inside of the cut away.

I also think it feels less "alive" when played and I think the tone is dulling down a little.

Hi,

So I have update from Gibson European Customer Service, ... they will replace my Custom :)

this is the answer I got:

"Dear Mr Wellens,

Your guitar has been inspected at Gibson Europe. Nitro cellulose lacquer on some guitars shows little lines near the fingerboard or at wood seams after it has been in use for a while. This is a sign of the natural aging process which can be seen on guitars that are still made according in the classical, traditional way of manufacturing instruments. The wood keeps settling during months after production, this is a sign for a very good sounding guitar. Such little lines in the finish are not considered a product flaw and not covered by warranty.

However, we found a different lacquer issue at the heel and body joint of your Gibson. It appears that during production air has been caught in the finish. There were many microscopic air bubbles closed in the finish. This was confirmed as a manufacturing flaw, and Gibson will replace your guitar with a factory new Les Paul Custom as soon as possible.

Please be aware however, that a Gibson guitar ages naturally due to the characteristics of the lacquer we use. Attached to this email we send you an article which you might enjoy reading, if you like to know more background information.

If you have any questions, please let us know. Kind regards"

I am really happy about the serious of their Customer Service.

They rules! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Guest farnsbarns

Hi,

So I have update from Gibson European Customer Service, ... they will replace my Custom :)

this is the answer I got:

"Dear Mr Wellens,

Your guitar has been inspected at Gibson Europe. Nitro cellulose lacquer on some guitars shows little lines near the fingerboard or at wood seams after it has been in use for a while. This is a sign of the natural aging process which can be seen on guitars that are still made according in the classical, traditional way of manufacturing instruments. The wood keeps settling during months after production, this is a sign for a very good sounding guitar. Such little lines in the finish are not considered a product flaw and not covered by warranty.

However, we found a different lacquer issue at the heel and body joint of your Gibson. It appears that during production air has been caught in the finish. There were many microscopic air bubbles closed in the finish. This was confirmed as a manufacturing flaw, and Gibson will replace your guitar with a factory new Les Paul Custom as soon as possible.

Please be aware however, that a Gibson guitar ages naturally due to the characteristics of the lacquer we use. Attached to this email we send you an article which you might enjoy reading, if you like to know more background information.

If you have any questions, please let us know. Kind regards"

I am really happy about the serious of their Customer Service.

They rules! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Good news. Gibson CS does seem to be extremely good. Rare in this day and age.

I'm sorry to read about your problem but delighted to read that you didn't get fobbed off with an 'It's not our problem' type answer.

Good for Gibson CS in this instance.

The wait will seem like a long time but at least you should get a good one from them for all your trouble! I wonder how long 'as soon as possible' means?

Good result, though!

P.

Iv'e always had good experiences with Gibson Customer Service...

That's what I call a good service and a demonstration that Gibson can still cut the mustard!!

[thumbup]

Glad you got it sorted..

I'm sorry to read about your problem but delighted to read that you you should get a good one from them for all your trouble! I wonder how long 'as soon as possible' means?

Good result, though!

No, i have asked and it should be there tomorrow or thursday :)))))

No, i have asked and it should be there tomorrow or thursday :)))))

What if you don't like it?

rct

Iv'e always had good experiences with Gibson Customer Service...

That's what I call a good service and a demonstration that Gibson can still cut the mustard!!

[thumbup]

Glad you got it sorted..

Good for Gibson, and better for you Awel........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......