Gibson Brands Forums

Epi AJ-100

Telechamp

Is anyone else also impressed with the Epi AJ-100 for the measly price of a hundred bucks?.. I recently purchased one of these acoustics as a "beater", restrung it with some D'Addario EXP coated 80/20 bronze strings, and I'm amazed at the quality and tone of this acoustic for the price...

Epiphone_AJ100_DSCN2916PB.jpg

Epiphone_AJ100_DSCN2912PB.jpg

Epi_AJ_DSCN2859PB.jpg

BOys and Girls I do have this guitar. I picked it up for a hundred bucks to take over to the neighbors house and drink beer and not freak out when i drop it or th kids knock it over that type of thing. The guitar sounds great, it feels great and it plays awesome. Guys and Gals its a guitar that is well worth the money and you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

BOys and Girls I do have this guitar. I picked it up for a hundred bucks to take over to the neighbors house and drink beer and not freak out when i drop it or th kids knock it over that type of thing. The guitar sounds great, it feels great and it plays awesome. Guys and Gals its a guitar that is well worth the money and you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

Agree. And I actually got mine for 90 bucks, as I used a GC 10% off coupon when I bought it.. A friend of mine who played it refused to believe I only paid 90 bucks for it..

I have this guitar (currently on loan to mate's son!) - fella gave me it cos he doesn't play. Plays and sounds really good for the price. The AJ200 (now AJ220)is another great value guitar as well [thumbup]

Epiphone definitely does the best "bang for buck" around, IMHO anyway...

• 2 months later...

I'm ordering this Guitar from the local George's Music nearby. I'm very impressed with what I've read & heard 'bout the AJ-100. Very sharp lookin' guitar. Also dig the fact that I can(will) get it in black, although that Sunburst is lookin' pretty sharp.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Those cheap guitars can surprise you sometimes and if you drink enough you won't know the difference anyway.

LOL! I don't drink much at all, and some of these so-called "bargain" Epiphones are just amazing sounding....

• 2 weeks later...

I too have found those AJ-100 guitars to be pretty good having used one for about a year as a stage guitar with a Fishman soundhole pickup. I got mine as soon as they appeared at the local music store about 8-10 years ago. It played nicely and didn't sound too bad. I think it's one the better $100 (or less) guitars out there on the market. I just picked up a 1998 AJ-18 SCE in natural finish and having a bone saddle installed really brought this guitar to life. I also find it to be a very comfortable shape for me to play sitting or standing.

• 5 months later...

For what my opinion's worth, I think you may get a pickle on occasions, or if the guitar's been laying around in odd weather too long, but...

I don't think there is more consistent overall quality in terms of bang for the buck in acoustic, AE or electric Epis. Period.

The reason I mentioned the pickle or odd weather is that on an annual trek to a store that has Epis, a Hummingbird had pretty much all the strings on the fingerboard, yet it was pretty much right outa the box. I think changes in climate hit it big time; I'll wager it was fine in a cupla weeks of tempering to climate, albeit with perhaps a bit of extra setup.

Both with mail order and 'from the store right after the delivery truck brought it,' I've found that where I live, it's best not to mess with a new guitar for a month or so because it seems to do a bit of time-based setup of its own. Yes to playing it if it's playable. Yes probably to putting on different strings, but note that heavier or lighter than factory may also change the tempering effect in your climate which makes a month or so wait something I think is good sense.

But I've seen the same with other brands, too.

m

Archived