Gibson Brands Forums

Help me choose!

bfpirogas

Hi everyone!

I decided to by myself a LP, and I'm between these two:

Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker ( http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute-Humbucker.aspx )

Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute ( http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute.aspx )

I searched a little, and I think (from what i found out, if no correct me) that their major difference is the P90s (60s tribute) VS the Humbuckers (50s tribute). Their price is about the same, so that's not a problem...

I really don't know what to do since this will be my first LP and I don't have that much experience, so every help is appreciated! :D

Good luck with your shopping....

A big question...P90 vs H/B

Worth a pause for thought as they are very different animals

Try to listen to examples of each before deciding

It's fair to say there are more H/B LP's in the world

Yet some players would only have the P90 version...

V

:-({|=

Hello Bfpirogas! I have a 50's Tribute GT with P-90 since the end of last year. Fantastic guitar! So great, I am about to purchase a humbucker edition of it in the coming weeks. The fat 50's style neck is so great! The P-90 are fantastic too - they ain't the kind of single-coils that Fenders come with, they are closer to humbuckers sound-wise, because of the fat coils. I've tried the 60's Tribute as well, and disliked the neck shape and sounds different compared to 50's Tribute with the same P-90s - those orange drop capacitors in the latter do much for the tone. Try them, the neck shape is a critical point, the one which is great for one player, can be hell for another! Cheers... Bence

I know they are pretty different and unfortunately it's pretty impossible to try them myself, cause none of the music stores i've been to in greece has Gibsons... Don't realy know the reason, I guess it's about their high price or something, but that's a huge disadvantage for me...

So all I really can do is listen to videos and hear people's opinions! :-)

I really can't decide from their appearence, cause I think they're both equally beautifull...

I see! I try to help a bit (although nothing is like trying them Yourself). The 50's style neck is round and fat, like a baseball bat cut in half. Comfortable if You have big hands, longer fingers. Great for grabbing it and doing nice bluesy bends. The 60's style is thinner. It's slim, and more suitable for rapid playing. As far as pickups are concerned: the P-90s are more traditional sounding then the humnuckers. Great for blues, jazz and when distorted they are very aggressive sounding, very raw, great for classical hardrock. They are quite noisy. The humbuckers are more versatile: they can be used for almost all genres, and because of the opposed polaritiy of windings they are noiseless. Search Youtube for demos of both pickups - there are many. Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the replies!

From what I got so far I probably choose the 50's, It kinda feels that way... Their versatility, and the lack of "noise" (that P90s supposed to have) is probably what will please me the most, even if somehow I feel none of the two will be a "bad" choice...

I'd also like to ask you, I read somewhere that 60s tribute is supposed to be limited edition (only produced during 2011)... Is that true? Does the same thing apply for the 50 tributes as well? Cause I'd be very tempted to own a limited gibson... :P

Hello again! Yes, all Tributes are limited edition instruments. I've heard rumours that 625 pieces were made of 50's Tributes in each of the five color options. But noone has officially confirmed this. 50's Tributes went out of production in December last year - that's sure. Now only the Thomann's exclusive Humbucker versions of them are in production. (I am about to buy one in honey [wink]) Cheers... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

Archived