Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's fate

brannon67

What do you guys feel about Gibson's fate? Some people on here are ready to dismiss Gibson, and drop them all together, because they say Gibson has lost their way. Are some of you ready to drop Gibson, sell your guitars, buy another American made guitar, etc? Im curious on your thoughts about this matter.

Wasn't a thread that basically tackled this topic just closed ..??

But, to answer the question, as long as Gibson will be making great guitars, I will keep on buying them, pretty simple.

If I boycotted all products from companies that may have done wrong in the past then I would have an empty house ...

IMO Gibson has some of the best sounds in guitar music

And IMX their current quality is excellent

I am no die hard Gibsonite and have several other brands in my collection

But there is genuine history and innovation in their background

My favourites (never got into their acoustics)....

ES 335, ES 175, ES 330, Firebird

Plus an Epi or two....

V

:-({|=

I am in agreement with you Euro Aussie; I have the same view concerning musicians actors and writers. Their personal lives (and belief systems) are not my concern, I am just interested in what they have produced/continue to produce. If I rejected every artist who did anything 'wrong', I think my books DVDs and music collections would be very sparse indeed!!

Ewwww - they must just be full of Cliff Richard biographies and music LOL

Matt

I like Gibsons. Don't care what instigators, bashers, malcontents, those who automatically assume Gibson has done something wrong, or anyone else wants to believe or say. I've heard all the Gibson detractors on other forums. Now I can hear them on here as well. Either way, we make our own choices. There are some great guitar makers and I believe Gibson is one of them.

I like Gibsons. Don't care what instigators, bashers, malcontents, those who automatically assume Gibson has done something wrong, or anyone else wants to believe or say. I've heard all the Gibson detractors on other forums. Now I can hear them on here as well. Either way, we make our own choices. There are some great guitar makers and I believe Gibson is one of them.

+1 [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

In my opinion, whether Gibson imported some fretboards that weren't "finished" by laborers in the country of origin, or the fretboards were finished by laborers in the US, is just silly.

If the point of the law it to protect some trees, where the fretboards are "finished" won't save them.

I have four Gibson Acoustic guitars, so I'm not currently looking for another guitar...but if/when I do, it will damn sure be another Gibson.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Right ON , MY Brother!

LOL...picker....when you get past all the stuff that people love and hate about Gibsons....then it is all about the sound!!! You just can't get away from that sound. I was a exclusive Martinguy for years....but Gibsons....it's all about the sound.....if they could only put it in a bottle.....lol

Political correctness, whether the CEO is a conservative, liberal, anarchist or whatever just don't come into play when I choose a guitar. I don't give a flip what anybody thinks about whether it is OK for me to buy a Gibson or whether I should cast them out of my life forever.

But I do gotta say although I have not had the urge to buy a new Gibson - all of this ruckus is kinda making me want one. Must be that when they outlaw guitars, only oulaws will play guitar kinda thing.

Man, those 160Es looked good on the Harrison HBO doc last night. Part 2 tonight. . B)

Guess you are talking Scorsese, I could be wrong. What a splendid idea with a Harrison film. Many mysterious pages in his book. I have a ticket for the premiere here.

It runs 3:20, I've heard. Can't wait. . . .

(Maybe a glimpse of the J-200 saddle too)

Em7 - Over here it's on cable-HBO in two parts Part 1 was last night and it was very interesting. The interviews included people I hadn't seen remarking on camera before - George's brothers, Voorman and Kirchherr, etc. Part 2 is tonight. Can't wait.

From where I sit, I don't think Gibson has lost their way at all, but the opposite. What is happening to Gibson is happening to a lot of companies and us as individuals, and I applaud them for using their rep and good name to bring attention to it.

As for the future of the brand, I have to think this may be significant depending on how it plays out. Gibson has to compete on the open market against other brands, and to be made in USA presents an issue of both how much they cost and the quality you get in return. Gibson already has issues keeping the cost down on the final product and keeping quality and desirability up, and I think if the price goes up too much they may have a rough time competing with other brands that are either made elsewhere or of better quality.

Besides the current lawyer cost and the cost from the loss of wood, The ability to OBTAIN wood and the risk involved could have an impact on the cost of doing business. As it seems right now, with the govt. on them and the threats against them, there may be significant risk for them: how much they will choose to spend to lessen the risk or how much they might be punished in the future is something they have to be aware of.

Man, those 160Es looked good on the Harrison HBO doc last night. Part 2 tonight. . B)

1962 J-160E Fuller Reissue

1962J-160EReisue.jpg

Unless they started to do really bad stuff with their guitars and support, to me, "they are PRESUMED INNOCENT" until and a court w/ evidence convicts them otherwise.

I missed the show, don't have HBO but would have loved to seen it. Maybe it will be available on Netflix soon? I'll just have to play this "toothpick" to drown my sorrows. It only needs a ceramic saddle to really sound spot on. I'm too cheap to spend $175 for one that may be ragged out or cracked. Oh well, I can play like either of them so what's the dang diff? :rolleyes:

Aster

Archived