Gibson Brands Forums

next buy hummingbird/J200

Corky

Hi all,

Got a J-45 but I'm looking for an electro-acoustic now, had a play with a J200 but the action seemed a little high for me a spoiled the demo, my other option is the hummingbird which I havn't tried yet but in the meantime what are your thoughts?

BTW I play a mix of rhythm and finger style pop/rock/indie, I would say I'm intermediate level.

Thanks in advance for your input. [thumbup]

Both are iconic guitars and both suitable for your style and both brilliant, tough choice !

I think best would be to play side by side and figure which rocks your boat the most.

If it was a HB TV then I would say get this one for sure, but if both were standard its a real toss up.

The only guide I oculd give you is that out of the box, brand new I find mahogany sounds a little better, warmer and basically 'ready to go'. With maple as its a harder wood I find it benefits from a few years playing to soften up the edges and generate the warmth.

Just play both and go with your guy, best way !

Good luck.

Hi all,

Got a J-45 but I'm looking for an electro-acoustic now, had a play with a J200 but the action seemed a little high for me a spoiled the demo, my other option is the hummingbird which I havn't tried yet but in the meantime what are your thoughts?

BTW I play a mix of rhythm and finger style pop/rock/indie, I would say I'm intermediate level.

Thanks in advance for your input. [thumbup]

I've said this before..... I was going to buy either a J200 or Doves In Flight. I LOVE the natural Maple on the J200....not thrilled with the cherry red on the DIF. The DIF "fits" me better, (5'5"). The J200 needs someone with longer arms, (aside from Little Jimmy Dickens). When I found a natural Maple DIF, I fell in love....and it hasn't let me down.

Later on, I started looking for a H'Bird. I got the Koa model, and I really like it....and I find I play TOTALLY differently on it than on my Doves.

Thanks for your thoughts, going to visit a large dealer next week so, I'll have a good go with a few!

Your know what you alike when you hear 'em, but given you already have a J45, a maple guitar would give the great RAT factor (range of available tone). Plus, Id give J200s a nod for being more balanced, hence more versatile.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am now the proud owner of a J200 custom,

auditioned a few options and I could not put this one down, the stunning looks are only topped by the sound.

Really head and shoulders above the standard j200.

My fingers are killing me right now otherwise I would be playing it and wouldn't have the time to type this!

I'm sad to say I had to trade my J-45 for it though, really loved it but I got a great deal and it softened the blow to my bank account!

Will update my avatar if I put the J200 down in the near future.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

For indie/rock the J200 might have the edge. My friend had a HB TV (which I loved) and went through an AJ and a J45 before settling on a J200 Standard. Perfect for that classic indie sound - I'm thinking The Verve and Oasis. The HB never quite had the punch for that - although it was a sound/look that I loved.

Either way, both guitars are awesome and you won't be disappointed! Enjoy!

Dave

Hi guys,

I am now the proud owner of a J200 custom,

auditioned a few options and I could not put this one down, the stunning looks are only topped by the sound.

Really head and shoulders above the standard j200.

My fingers are killing me right now otherwise I would be playing it and wouldn't have the time to type this!

I'm sad to say I had to trade my J-45 for it though, really loved it but I got a great deal and it softened the blow to my bank account!

Will update my avatar if I put the J200 down in the near future.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

CONGRATZ!!!! PICTURES!PICTURES!PICTURES!

Archived