Gibson Brands Forums

Panic attack from spending what I don't have!

ksdaddy

Actually my parents encouraged me to do that.

"Go play chicken in the traffic, and be a brave little boy!" they'd say. My parents were always so supportive like that, always boosting my confidence.

They spoiled me, too. I always had the latest electronic toys, and they even let me play with them in the bathtub! And they must have known I had a good time in the tub and felt bad for me when bath time was over because when I'd come out of the bathroom all bundled up in a towel, they always had such long faces!

There was a rottweiler next door and my mom always let me go play with him but first she always rubbed a piece of raw steak all over my neck. She said it would keep the mosquitoes away. Boy, I had fun with that dog and I learned how to run real fast too. And climb trees.

Sounds like we had similar childhoods KSD. There were no leash laws when I was a kid, dogs and baby boomers all over every neighborhood. Thanks to your timely post, I finally figured out why my mom always combed my hair with a pork chop before letting me outside. It had nothing to do with the wind messing it up!! How did we ever survive? Have you ever tried getting through a revolving door with a spear stuck in your head!! It ain't no picnic, brother!

that will be a wonderful guitar when you've worked your magic with it, KS. I have a soft spot for those Tune-O bridges in Doves and SJ200s :-) it has some bewitching mojo too. I would love to hear how it sounds when you've finished it. Any chance of pics and maybe a wee Youtube vid of the beautiful, battered ol' bird in action?

I have serious Dove envy now!

I have serious Dove envy now!

Jinder, I thought you had a Dove endorsed upon you by Uncle Bozeman?

And why is the cool guy hiding the headstock up his sleeve? Could it be a copy or a magic trick gone wrong?

KSD, since pin talk is illegal on this thread, have you considered which strings you will use? 16's? (Good Day JT!)

Non-JCM fans would probably like to imagine the headstock being shoved... never mind.

Pins? haha! I'm thinking about changing the saddles in the tune-o-matic to stainless steel.

Or brass.

We could open up a thread on the merits of each, yes? Powder cast vs. forged? Let me bone up on Young's Modulus of Elasticity first.

I jest. I'm a jester.

albert, I was indeed bestowed a Dove from Uncle Bozeman, along with a stash of J45s and a couple of Hummingbirds, between my band and I. We experimented extensively with which guitars of the endorsement stash suited which member of the band (we're a three-piece, and all acoustic players, so a correct blend is vital), and we found out that the Hummingbird and Mahogany J45 suited my playing best, whilst the Dove was perfect for my bandmate Gavin, along with his existing RW J45. I am utterly in love with the look of the Dove, though, and will eventually get my mitts on a Custom Shop 60s RI with the Tune-O-Matic. I have no idea why, but I find the Tune-O sounds tremendous on the Dove, and helps quell the very boomy (in a nice way) character the standard Doves have, making it a bit more middly and mellow, whilst still huge.

With regard to my other bandmate, Simon, he uses a J45 Hog, and handles most of the lead work with it. All our main stage guitars are Modern Classics with stock pickups, and our tone, both recorded and live, is IMMENSE. A lot of it is down to the choice of guitars to achieve the right blend, but I think for a pro-level working instrument, the Modern Classics are impossible to beat. We love ours to bits and will be taking them all over the world this year without a second thought. I am constantly being told by soundmen that my Hummingbird is the best sounding and easiest to EQ electro they have ever heard, and I would certainly agree that I have yet to hear anything to top it, personally. Night after night, it delivers the goods with style and bags of character.

Okay rant over. I'm just loving my guitars today! They deserve it.

Jinder - when you fly, how do you ship the acoustics?

Only ask 'cause I have seen the airside baggage handling rams, drops and throwing contests wreck hard-cased acoustics (mine!) and I have seen many cased guitars booked in to a seat as a passenger. I guess, with multiple guitars, you can load guitar cases into large foam-lined flight-cases and cargo handling won't damage them - but that has to be almost as costly as booking seats for them.

What do you guys do - for that matter, how many guitars travel with you on tour.....

“No reason to get excited,”

The thief he kindly spoke.

“There are many here among us

Who feel that life is but a joke."

Archived