Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Whogo

Help me identify this Epiphone?

. . .and I can't remember where, but I collected this photo. Maybe from Ebay? Anyhow, I don't recall the model name, although I seem to remember that it was described as having been made in Japan around the late seventies.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

(First-time poster--and I hope to be returning some more!)

post-36425-087882400 1318085064_thumb.jpg

Hey Thanks poopcicle!

I may have answered my own question. . . .

It's an Epi NVJ, which I thinks stands for "Nouveau Jazz," and was part of a the "Nouveau" series of guitars from the late eighties, I believe.

Anyhow, I'm interested to learn more about them, if anyone knows anything (or owns one).

Greg

I know next to nothing on this and I am probably about to state the obvious but I would wager a guess of Emperor Regent or something in the family!

looks close.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNBURST-Epiphone-Emperor-Regent-2006-Great-condition-/270808436552?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0d70cf48#ht_500wt_1413

I agree.

I have never heard of a Nouveau series, though that's not to say that there wasn't one...

But it looks very close to the Emperor Regent except for the tailpiece.

I agree.

I have never heard of a Nouveau series, though that's not to say that there wasn't one...

But it looks very close to the Emperor Regent except for the tailpiece.

The cutaway is a different shape from the Emperor Regent. I'd love to see more pix of this rarity. Can you post more? Headstock, back, etc?

Thanks!

I'm skeptical that it's an Epiphone - Emperor Regent or otherwise. Besides the wrong tailpiece and pickguard (relayively easy to change) the fretboard markers (NOT easy to change) are something I've never seen in either of the Epi history books, the Blue Book or Vintage Guitar Price Guide. I'd say it's a nice copy of a Gibson L-5 by some other manufacturer.

EpiphoneNuveau.jpg

Yeah, it's an Epiphone. Here's a headstock shot of another one:

NVJhead.jpg

Should have one in hand soon, so, check back for details ; > )

I'll also provide a full history of the model.

Greg

OK, I stand corrected. I'll have to drag out those history books again to see how I missed this.

It looks like a VERY nice guitar...

Yes, it is probably a Nouveau. My epi Spotlight was part of the nouveau range, and look at the headstock.

some of the nouveau range were American built, and some...certainly the solid body electrics were Japanese blanks that were shipped to the states then fitted with hardware and electrics and set up in the US ... I can't remember what factory or factories....the nouveau range was late 80's.

S7000096.jpg

P1020036.jpg?t=1318206389

Yes, it is probably a Nouveau. My epi Spotlight was part of the nouveau range, and look at the headstock.

some of the nouveau range were American built, and some...certainly the solid body electrics were Japanese blanks that were shipped to the states then fitted with hardware and electrics and set up in the US ... I can't remember what factory or factories....the nouveau range was late 80's.

The American range was Nouveau By Gibson and was considered Gibson guitars. When they started making the bodies and parts in Japan they changed them over to the Epiphone line. I'm not sure of the factory either. I think I have that info somewhere at home.