Gibson Brands Forums

05 standard vs 07 classic

hickorynotch

I am stuck between a 2005 tobacco standard or a 2007 classic antique. I don't want a chambered model but would rather have the non-weight relieved or swiss-cheese. I have attached 2 pics. The classic has binding around the head stock but I couldn't find anything about these. Any info would help. Wife wants me to go with tobacco but I love the classic. I don't have the opportunity to play them. Thanks.

post-36433-046732400 1318109232_thumb.jpg

post-36433-032473000 1318109274_thumb.jpg

That's what I am scared of. The shop told me over the phone the classic weighed 7.5#s. I thought for sure that meant it was chambered. I thought I read somewhere the standards were drilled. Idk. I wish I could hold them and play them. Would be will much easier.

The Classic Antiques are great guitars and were only made for a short time.

They are in fact chambered.

7.5 lbs. sounds right.

The 2005 Standard would be Weight-Relieved,(Swiss Cheesed)not chambered.

Usually around 9 lbs. or so.

Good info here:

"Les Paul-101"

This is what a weight-relieved Les Paul would look like:

1998LPstandardradiograph.jpg

That's what I am scared of. The shop told me over the phone the classic weighed 7.5#s. I thought for sure that meant it was chambered. I thought I read somewhere the standards were drilled. Idk. I wish I could hold them and play them. Would be will much easier.

Good info.......Today's Standards ARE chambered......Except for the Standard Trads......

I will def get less lip from the wife if I open the case and she sees the tobacco ;). I know I can't go wrong with any Les Paul so I am not too worried. I will post a pic when the one I choose arrives. Prob going to order 2005 standard because of the non-chambered weight relief.Mon. Thanks for your thoughts.

Classic Antique's are chambered. Love the binding around the headstock. You don't get that too often with a Standard or not at all. '57 Classic & '57 Classic + pickups, 60's slim tapered neck profile. And of course, the beautiful Flamed Top. [thumbup] Love mine, will never part with it.

Archived