Gibson Brands Forums

I fell in love with an R8

Angellus

yesterday (Saturday 8th Oct) I went to a Gibson / GAK.co.uk guitar town show. Got to go on the Europe Gibson Tour bus, see and play the Firebird X etc great time!

amazingly they had a few custom shop left hand models, a ES-335 Dot in cherry [woot] amazing guitar though needed a good setup, and a 1958 VOS plain top les paul in iced tea! (R8) [love]

I knew the Reissues would be great but I wasn't expecting this, picked it up and noticed it was very light and at first i was like oh....chambered (not a big fan TBH) then I plugged in and played and was blown away! the articulation and ease of play was almost like the thing played itself. couldnt put it down, I sat there an played for a good hour (luckily I was the only lefty) and I was like a kid in a candy shop!

compared to the Traditional I had the airy tone and perfectly balanced strings sang out and would cut through any mix whilst still maintaining the deep les sound. it made my les paul traditional sound dark and damp ! well worth the extra £1,000 on the price tag!

Unfortuantely I was unable to buy it and lost sleep last night! absolutey gutted especially as in left hand this is an uncommon guitar to find!

question for any Reissue owners, what are the CTS pot values for your volume? im planning on converting my Nashville to an ABR-1 to try to gain the string balance on my Trad (i know i cant make a Trad an R8)

for those that haven't tried a VOS Reissue, if you get the chance go for it!

would like to try a non-chambered Reissue though and see the difference

So, the R8 you played was chambered? I had a CR8 for a while but sold it. Great sounding guitar.

All historic LPs have 500k tone, 500k volume pots. Your Traditional has 500k tone, 300k volume pots.

Faber sells an ABR that drops right onto the stock Nashville posts but you don't get the benefit (to some) of the studs going directly into the body.

Faber sells an ABR that drops right onto the stock Nashville posts but you don't get the benefit (to some) of the studs going directly into the body.

agreed, it will have to be high quality maple dowels to plug the holes or the Callaham. Great guitar still on my mind now, and how poetic that its chambered when I have previously aired my concerns on chambered guitars after trying out a handful of studios and 08' standards.

Would be interested to try a non chambered Reissue. I noticed that there was no mention that it was chambered in the description at the show but I noticed it immediately and asked the Gibson rep who confirmed it.

• 1 month later...

It's not chambered, just a real choice piece of mahogany. And if it is, I don't exactly like the VOS label being used for something that's not vintage spec.

it is chambered, but I must say the best chambered les paul I have ever played and I'm not a fan of them.

CR8 = Chambered Reissue 1958

R8 = Reissue 1958

however most retailers in the UK strategically drop off the C.

it played amazingly but, I would want a solid one not a chambered

But an R8 won't have a flame top..

How could you 'love' something so plain?eusa_whistle.gif

the one I played was labelled a plain top but was nicely figured, the gibson rep just said that it happens sometimes and you can get lucky as it depends on what they have in stock. TBH im a lefty so its mainly gold tops and ebony that are easily available sometimes you can find a burst but its not like we have anywhere near the choice as you righties! [crying]

it played amazingly but, I would want a solid one not a chambered.

Why, Angellus?

I'm really curious as to why 'chambering' would make any difference to your opinion of a guitar which is "amazing" as a player's instrument.

P.

Why, Angellus?

I'm really curious as to why 'chambering' would make any difference to your opinion of a guitar which is "amazing" as a player's instrument.

P.

to be truly honest the first Les Paul Chambered I played was truly awful. Lack of response, lack of soul and light as a feather. It did not react in any shape or form to my Traditional. it was like a schecter.........dull...

the CR8 on the other hand, wow I would have bought that guitar on the spot if I had the expenditure! good job I was the only lefty there that day because i sat and played that CR8 for a good 2 hours like a weirdo!

does that make me a hypocrite? perhaps, although now in my mind im wondering if its only the customs shop LP's that are good chambered? but so many of you say otherwise, I guess what I gotta do is go play another chambered LP and fight the self imposed stigma I have regarding them. Problem is finding a lefty!

so going back to the original question, I guess after having such a great experience with my Traditional that I love to bits and take to the recording studio all my live gigs and my go to guitar when I teach and play at home, i would weigh up my experiences and ask for a non-chambered R8, for purist reasons or at least until I play 2 good chambered LP's in a row

i think in general its a stigma because of historical reason and because quality in my parents generation is related to weight, like a pawn broker to gold, and I feel that has been imparted on me. thats my honest no BS answer [confused]

I think in general its a stigma because of historical reason and because quality in my parents generation is related to weight, like a pawn broker to gold, and I feel that has been imparted on me. thats my honest no BS answer [confused]

That's a fair answer. No BS is always best. [smile]

P.

Archived