Gibson Brands Forums

Orianthi and Tal Wilkenfeld

BobB

Orianti has worked with Michael Jackson, Carrie Underwood and Steve Vai. Tal Wilkenfeld has played bass with Chick Corea and Jeff Beck. I would love to see these gals playing in the same group.

I met Orianthi in LA last year, damn, she can really shred [wub]

I met her a few times as she comes from My hometown which is tiny and a very tight nit music community. My old lead guitarist and Orianthi actually went to school together and played in some local cover bands together. Shes pretty down to earth too which is a plus.

Guest farnsbarns

I've seen Tal playing bass with Beck on tv several times and have always been impressed. That Steve Vai wankcaster wankathon is aweful to me, I can't stand those long strings of egocentric twiddley bits and look at me posing. I know a lot of young people love it, I just hope they grow out of it and learn to value thoughtful phrasing and emotion in music over the ethos of how many notes can I play between this beat and the next.

I've seen Tal playing bass with Beck on tv several times and have always been impressed. That Steve Vai wankcaster wankathon is aweful to me, I can't stand those long strings of egocentric twiddley bits and look at me posing. I know a lot of young people love it, I just hope they grow out of it and learn to value thoughtful phrasing and emotion in music over the ethos of how many notes can I play between this beat and the next.

Steve... Is that you?...

I'd hate to see one type of music replaced with another. Suppose Steve Vai started playing more like you favorite guy, would he be any good at it? If he started playing like SRV I'd be thoroughly disappointed even though I prefer SRV to Steve Vai anyday. It wouldn't do the Blues any good and it wouldn't do Vai any good.

Besides, I like to be blown away every once in a while. I'd rather listen to The Band for hours, but watching Steve Vai and his Guitar Acrobatics is amazing. There's no question that all that Wanking is impressive as hell. Different sort of entertainment than SRV, but entertainment nonetheless.

Guest farnsbarns

I'd hate to see one type of music replaced with another. Suppose Steve Vai started playing more like you favorite guy, would he be any good at it? If he started playing like SRV I'd be thoroughly disappointed even though I prefer SRV to Steve Vai anyday. It wouldn't do the Blues any good and it wouldn't do Vai any good.

Besides, I like to be blown away every once in a while. I'd rather listen to The Band for hours, but watching Steve Vai and his Guitar Acrobatics is amazing. There's no question that all that Wanking is impressive as hell. Different sort of entertainment than SRV, but entertainment nonetheless.

I agree but I'd like to see Vai go back to playing like he did for Frank Zappa.

I love Tal Wilkenfeld, Ronnie Scott's with Jeff Beck is on every now and again, and I always flip to it. I think it's safe to say... [love]. Don't know Orianthi though, I have heard loads. I just never got around to actually listening.

I'd rather listen to The Band for hours

[wub][thumbup]

That being said, Robbie isn't terrible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEo4gRqUiU4

Archived