Gibson Brands Forums

Remembering Lennon

j45nick

John Lennon would have been 71 today, had he not been taken from us in so violent a way almost 31 years ago.

It's a long a winding road that leads us to your door.....

God bless you, John. May your gentle, weary soul rest in peace.

I thank you for reminding us.

I think it is hard for folks under the age of 60 to really understand what Lennon and the Beatles mean't to us. They did not just change music - they changed everything. Nothing was the same after they appeared on the Sullivan show. Kids started fighting with their parents about getting haircuts and begged for a pair of Beatles boots. I recall my acoustic sitting in a corner while I sat with the Sears catalog drooling over those Silvetone Gretsch look alikes (many of us did not know a good guitar from a can of tuna so it did not matter that they were not the real deal). As those guitars made their way into our hands, a thousand garage bands were launched.

I don't think we ever imagined a world without the Beatles in it. And that world is now a lesser place without John Lennon in it. No matter how many years pass, we will always miss him.

Yes, thanks Nick. Happy B'day to John.

I spent a couple evenings watching Sorcesse's Harrison doc which put me in mind of all things George - I've been playing through his catalog. It's a ways to December 8, and George's anniversary is coming in November, but looking at both events I find it terribly sad what happened to both of them at the end of their lives - John shot death in 1980 outside his home, and George almost taken from us in 1999 by an intruder using a knife to attack George at his home, Friar Park - then passing from cancer 2001.

RIP John . . . . . . . . RIP George

Lennon, the greatest of Them all...

Now I remembrer the moment I learned about his death. I was a soldier - recrute in the Bulgarian army at this time and all night I was a stand guard. It was a cold winter and there were much snow. In the morning when I got back in the guardhouse the captain of the guard told me that Lennon was shot and died last night - well I wanted to come out and shoot the dog outside with my kalashnikov mashinegun... It was one of the shocking days of my life... In that moment I realised that even the stars are mortal and that the man I adored - Lennon will never make a new song........

What a surprise for me when about 13 years later I heared on the radio songs I had never heared befor sung with John Lennon's voice..... It was the first album of Julian Lennon. Pitty - he has no the power of te father, only the voice ;-)

RIP JOHN! WE LOVE YA........

Think he got married on Lennon's b-day so he'd never forget his anniversary? Crafty.

Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that angle.

I got married on Thanksgiving. I always have to check the date, but I don't forget the day. We've agreed to treat Thanksgiving as the day, no matter what the date. Keeps things simple.

My favourite Lennon lyric:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Ain't that the truth!

There are no guarantees for tomorrow, so do it now. I "retired" for the first time at age 45, and my wife and I took six years off and sailed around the world in a boat I built. Sort of put my career on hold, but I'm glad we did it while we were still young enough.

Don't just sit and make plans: go for it!

Delivered 3 Lennon songs with my keyboard-player on my friends bar yesterday.We shared the evening with a younger act and started around 23 pm.

He asked and we had to say yes. Been a fan since 6 years old. . . .

At his 60th birthday I sang The Word in front of a big electric band. My girl-singers were on stage too and I had persuaded them to bring their old wood-flutes. We ended the number in a whirling tempest, then made a instant break where the girls blew the theme in total silence – smash back into severe rock. Hail JPGR. . .

I was a kid in the 60s so the Fabs touched my life from an early age.

To say I love The Beatles would be an understatement and to say I am obsessed with John Lennon would be so close to the truth.

I recently sat through the Anthology DVD as a lead up to John’s Birthday. I make a point of playing all the Beatles LPs once per year normally as winter approaches which is the time of year I do most recording, it sort of gets me in the mood.

The Beatles always have and always will be part of my life.

Thank you John and George who are sadly lost and departed. And of course Paul and Ringo.

Madman Greg

Archived