Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Viola strings

harhjn

I bought an Epiphone Viola bass this summer which I'm very happy with. I got a set of replacement strings at at the time of purchase, but as these are long scale I doubt if they will fit. I have searched the web on what would be the right strings to get, but I'm confused as both medium and short scale strings are suggested. Could someone please tell me if the Viola bass should be fitted with short, long or medium scale strings? I'd also like to know what gauge the stock strings are if anyone knows.

best regards Harald

It all depends on your style of playing and the way you like your strings to sound. There are so many types of bass strings nickel plated steel, pure nickel, stainless steel, flatwound, groundwound/pressurewound and coated. Then there's the way the string ends are wrapped with conventional being the wrap goes right to the ball end, taper wound where one wrap rides over the saddle to the ball end and exposed core where the core of the string is in direct contact with the bridge. The taper wound and exposed core strings won't make any difference with your Viola because the smaller winds or lack there of don't ride over the bridges saddles like the way they're meant to give any benefit in tone and playability. If you're looking for a brighter clearer tone I would suggest roundwound strings, my favorites being GHS nickel plated steel boomers which also come in a short scale version. Flatwounds will get you in that dub bass territory or very similar to a McCartney style tone. Pressurewound seems to be the in between, they're similar in characteristic to a roundwound with a bit of the top end removed. Plus they are really smooth and easy on the fingers if that's an issue for you. If you're looking for the brightest of the brights goes with stainless steels but be warned they can be hard on your fingers if you're not used to how rough the windings are on some sets. As for gauge or thickness of the strings remember the Viola has plenty of bottom end as it is so there's no need in putting on a set of heavy's, myself I would go with something along the lines of 40, 54, 76 96. Just about every manufacturer makes short scale bass strings in all different gauges. The only bass string I wouldn't recommend would be D'addario's, but that's only because I don't like their tone.

Above all keep in mind one set of bass strings may sound great on one bass and sound lifeless on another, so you may go through a couple of sets before you find the one's you're happiest with. Good luck.

Thanks for the great information gentlemen!

I just purchased a Viola Bass (Epiphone) and was wondering when it arrives will I need to take it to my guitar shop for set up, or will it come ready to play?

One review I read claimed their bass arrived with the intonation not quite right?

Please advise on your experiance when you got it at home or took it home.

Can I adjust it my self?

Thanks for the info on the strings!

If you have little or no experience with set up, you absolutely want to have your Viola bass checked for intonation before leaving the store.

You can adjust it yourself BUT the entire bridge can move on the body so there's a lot more ways to get it wrong than right.

But don't fret (pun intended), with time and patience you'll get comfortable with the available adjustments.

Really nice bass for the money, enjoy.

Archived