Gibson Brands Forums

Best Debut Album for Rock Guitar?

Californiaman

I voted Led Zeppelin because the songs and the guitar were strong, the Van Halen songs are fun, but to my ears not classic in the way the songs on Led Zeppelin 1 are. As wonderful (and ground breaking) as Van Halen's playing is on their debut album, I don't think it has aged as well as the other selections in the list.

I almost choose Randy Rhoads and his work on the Blizzard of Ozz but Jimmy Page plays in so many styles on the debut album it just won my vote over!

Matt

I would have to say the first Sabbath album as well.

nobody sounded like that before them and while others have tried to replicate the sound, they've all fallen short or some other influence in their background came out and took them in a different direction. They did almost single handedly invent a new genre.

as for the debate about Appetite - I say no matter what one's opinion of the albums after it, it is still their debut album and it inspired many a guitarist (myself included) to pick up a guitar. The poll asks about best debut album for rock guitar, not the band's total recorded output.

For those that already played guitar, this album also renewed interest in Gibson (especially the Les Paul Model). While I understand that the guitar Slash used was actually a well made fake I find it hard to believe that it took so long for Gibson to give Slash an endorsement deal considering what this album did for their sales... even long after he bought himself some genuine Gibsons they seemed to shun him because the guitar that created all the buzz and was renewing interest in their products was not built by them at all. Although I will admit, it is quite ironic that they finally did give him his endorsement deal and even went as far as creating reliplicas of his non-gibson COPY.

But that album entirty was Tom Scholz. He did everything on it.

It was good. But it was a one man recording session.

That's not even close to being true.

Barry Goudreau contributed a lot of guitar playing.

But that album entirty was Tom Scholz. He did everything on it.

It was good. But it was a one man recording session.

I couldn't agree more. However their first album has been considered one of the best of the 70s. I saw them back in 77 and was very disappointed. They were a studio band for sure.

I couldn't agree more. However their first album has been considered one of the best of the 70s. I saw them back in 77 and was very disappointed. They were a studio band for sure.

You must be lying, because when they got up on stage and got ready to play people came alive.

"Are You Experienced" changed the game! Just listen to his peers talk about the first time they heard that.

J

Have to agree... the UK rock scene was worshipping Hendrix before he came back to the US and when he arrived back on US soil for the first time, the hippies didn't know what to think. here was this guy on stage bring sounds that were never before heard from a guitar and they all went running for cover and had no clue what hit them... those people whose first experience with Hendrix was a live appearance before his album was getting exposure had the best acid trip of their lives and weren't even sure Jimmie was for real. LOL

"Are You Experienced" changed the game! Just listen to his peers talk about the first time they heard that.

+1

Has to be!!! None of the others have been such an influence, even to this day, to so many different guitarist in so many different genres!

Almost everyone's listened to Jimi and wanted to play like him at some point... No matter what your musical preferences are!!!

of those listed i went with lz. there are others i consider to be better, but you know what they say about opinions and arseholes [biggrin]

Without them we'd bloat and die?

They're best not aired in public?

European ones are more informed than American ones?

Chances are you'll hear one by the end of the day?

[confused][biggrin]

Archived