Gibson Brands Forums

Need a Good Acoustic Amp

Greg Curtis

I would look into an amp that is designed and voiced specifically for acoustic guitars. Some of them even have an XLR mic input channel built into them. There is a major difference in the tone circuitry (voicing) between an amp designed for acoustic guitars and one designed for electric guitars. I've never been satisfied with the sound of plugging an acoustic guitar into a "electric" guitar amp.

Looking for a nice acoustic amp for my new J45. Was thinking maybe an AC-60 or a Fishman but don't have any experience with acoustic amps. Should I be looking for one with effects or not? Help me out here guys..

Hi Greg

Nice to meet you, if you want an amp that sounds just like your guitar but louder (i.e not affected with any artificial 'help' from the amp) then I recommend the Vox AGA 150. It has a two channels and one is valve; it also has a decent eq system.

I have a clip of a demo I did for youtube on my classical guitar, but it sounds equally at home with a steel strung guitar (I use a Gypsy jazzer through it too!). I am really pleased with it...

Matt

Add my vote for the Marshalls as EuroAussie does. I used to have an AS50 and despite trading it for a Fishman Loudbox 100, I'd recommend them any day. The Fishman is fabulous and suits me better than the Marshall especially on the vocals. My Fishman friend is getting a fair amount of gigging at the moment and is doing sterling service.

suggest you also look a these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjsQxxPe8rc

Madman Greg

Isn't that a little ripper!

I saw a guitar mag raving about the electric guitar ones, but I didn't know there was an acoustic guitar one. It also has the volume control on the headphone out that I wanted!

I guess the days of sitting on your Fender amplifier with your drink on a coaster, you capo, tuner and spare picks, car keys next to you.....are LONG GONE.

BluesKing777.

Isn't that a little ripper!

I saw a guitar mag raving about the electric guitar ones, but I didn't know there was an acoustic guitar one. It also has the volume control on the headphone out that I wanted!

I guess the days of sitting on your Fender amplifier with your drink on a coaster, you capo, tuner and spare picks, car keys next to you.....are LONG GONE.

BluesKing777.

They do sound good. There is a bass version coming soon, which will suit me good space wise.

The only pitfall I would point out is the amp does have phantom power for condenser mics, but its only 12v, so will not work with every mic. But provided you know you can get a mic that will work with 12v.

Madman Greg

Went to GC yesterday & played my J45 thru a few acoustic amp & really liked the new Fishman Loudbox Artist amp so decided to buy it. 120w, 2 channels, DSP effects chorus, delay etc, 8" woofer & 1" tweeter. Weighs in at about 25 lbs. Played with it some last night & sounded really nice with the J45 & my Larrivee L-03R. Like to thank everyone for their help & suggestions. Very much appreciated guys.

I play my Gibsons (92 Starburst & 04 Montana Gold J-200) through a Roland AC-60 and it sounds amazing. It is an incredibly light weight, yet powerful amp. The padded bag that comes with it is also nice when packing the amp for travel to gigs.

I often play my acoustics straight through a Yamaha Stage Pass 500 PA system with good results.

Archived