Gibson Brands Forums

Canadian Bands

neilpanda

I was going to mention Max but I didn't think anyone here would have ever heard of him.

The only way I know of him is when I saw him open for Rush on the Moving Pictures tour.

So Take off hose heads

It's actually Kim Mitchell, Max Webster is the band that we formed in '73.

oh by the way, Rush + Max Webster - Battlescar...great tune [thumbup]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, I told you the only I know of "them" is when I saw them open for Rush in Chicago. But they left an impression as I remember them after 30 or so years.

See, I told you the only I know of "them" is when I saw them open for Rush in Chicago. But they left an impression as I remember them after 30 or so years.

well, Kim still puts on a great concert nowadays. his voice is is still in tact, and the guitar skills surely are too [thumbup]

I opened for Kim Mitchell at a couple of shows a few years back. My wife and myself had the opportunity to sit and chat with Kim for some time. My wife loves him and his music. She had a picture autographed much to her delight. Super nice guy and very humble. Monster player too.

Why are Canadians better at americana music than americans are?

Because Americans have this issue with anything that's been around longer than 4 years. They call it Old and label it with silly names, then start making fun of it and those that play it. Then they wonder why new music isn't as good as old music [confused] . Frustrating Lot!

You have to skip about 20 seconds in because it starts with Rough Hands but this has good sound quality:

When I'm at the computer I listen to a lot of the streams from Canadian radio stations. I'll honestly even listen to the popish songs and indie bands there like the Stills, Tokyo Police Club etc. Tons of great Canadian bands.

Had to toss in one more, saw these guys live and they really put on a great show. The lead singer's mohawk is epic. It was about a foot taller when I saw them.

Nathan already listed City & Colour but I figured I'd throw in another one

Going to see him Nov. 14th

I opened for Kim Mitchell at a couple of shows a few years back. My wife and myself had the opportunity to sit and chat with Kim for some time. My wife loves him and his music. She had a picture autographed much to her delight. Super nice guy and very humble. Monster player too.

He's got his own radio show on Toronto's Q107 in the afternoon, which I listen to (the signal is very clear here in Buffalo). See here. He is hysterical and you can tell he's very down to Earth. My favorite part of his show is "Damn I Wish I Wrote That." He is an incredible guitarist and doesn't get the credit he deserves IMHO.

Some great bands come from Canada and though they're not recognized so much in th U.S. many have a huge following in the U.K. and Europe.Some of them are: The High Dials,Sloan,Two Hour's Traffic,Amos The Transparent,Jeremy Fisher,Tomi Swick, Hey Rosetta and Kujo.A lot of our bands like the Guess Who and Rush have been mentioned but a lot of our musicians made up a large part of other bands such as The Mamas and Papas ,Steppenwolf,The Band,The Lovin' Spoonful and Blood Sweat and Tears.

Two of my favourite Canadian bands that are special to me are Chilliwack and the Headpins.Newfoundland's own Brian "Loud"McLoed was an integral part of Chilliwack and founder and lone musician of the original Headpins. The Headpins was a brainchild of Brian's who wanted to create a heavy metal like band with a female vocalist fronting it. He went into his home studio and wrote and played all the songs to make up the album.

He then brought on little known female vocalist Darby Mills to do the vocals.Shortly after the album was released it went platinum and Brian was left scrambling to find musicians to tour and play at the numerous awards shows that they were invited to play at. This was no mean feat as Brian was such a brilliant musician especialy on guitar,keys and drums that it was difficult to find musicians of his caliber at such short notice.Anyway he pulled it off somehow but people kept saying that the live act wasn't as good as the album ,not realizing the reason why.

Sadly Brian died of a brain tumor several years ago truly a great loss to Canada's music industry.

Archived