Gibson Brands Forums

74 Humminbird...thoughts?

Josh James

Hey,

My name is Josh and I usually post over in the lounge. Just wanted to get the acoustic peeps opinions on this 74 Hummingbird and whether it is a instrument that may be a good live guitar. It has some damage, but I went up and played it and it sounds great. Anyhow, here she is My link

Thanks for any help you can give, I truly appreciate it!

Josh

I agree with EA. If your sure it's structurally fine and sounds good, go for it. Judging strictly by the advertising, the price doesn't sound bad-at-all, and if it sounds like you describe, it's a winner. I'd personally be very intrigued by a guitar like this, but I would need someone more knowledgable than myself to take a good look at with me. I wish you the best in your decision.

Glad to read you got your eyes and hands on it, and played it. That's especially important with Norlin era acoustics.

From the website: "There are several cracks but the guitar is structurally sound." - I'd rather read about several cracks that have been cleated and repaired, and are stable. If you're going to be hauling it around to gigs, I'd be a bit concerned about exposing the cracks to the temperature and humidity changes encountered when gigging.

If that doesn't concern you, as has been said, if you like the way it plays and sounds - make an offer.

I bought a Historic J45 that had a crack that had been cleated and repaired. Have not had any issues with it but it stays at the house.

My advice to you would be to slow down and look a little harder. I have been in your shoes many times and you appear to want to jump on something quick. Look around a while and you will find more people that wouldn't mind trading a Gibson acoustic for an LP. We all get tired of things and want a change now and again.

You might want to make a offer but that is way too much for a midfifties Norlin era Gibson. My midfifties J45 Deluxe has a repaired crack and it has no negative impact. But it is still an over built dog. Keep looking and you'll find a much nicer model for the same amount of money.

You might want to make a offer but that is way too much for a midfifties Norlin era Gibson. My midfifties J45 Deluxe has a repaired crack and it has no negative impact. But it is still an over built dog. Keep looking and you'll find a much nicer model for the same amount of money.

The mid 50's were not the Norlin era. The true Norlin era starts sometime in 1969. Mid-50's Gibson acoustics are still among the best built, IMHO.

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts. I'm just going to keep my eye out for a while longer. I'm sure I could sell the LP and then get a used Gibby coostic and have a bit left over. I have priced a 93 Standard at around 1600-2000, depending on finish and shape.

Josh

Josh,

I think that you've made a good decision to think and look around. You'd be hard press to find a worse year for Gibson acoustics than 1974 and a worse example of acoustics from that year than a Hummingbird. I ought to know: that was my first old Gibson. I use "old" instead of " vintage" not simply because 1974 doesn't seem old enough to be vintage, but because to me "vintage" connotes something good, which my 1974 Hummingbird definitely was not.

Archived