Gibson Brands Forums

Walk the walk and talk the talk...

Flight959

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i had a session with Back In Black today, and for the first time i got through it. Some f... ups here and there, but i'm happy. Some more attention on details in the lead stuff, but slowly i'm getting there.Never gonna be the perfect note for note guy, but if i find a way that is useble thats ok. Used Karaoke.com drums, played in a Rhythm track with my Gretsch. And in the vid i use my Sg Original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiEYRMj4J0M

Here's one with the guys. We played in a couple of songs, just for fun. On this one the studio guy wanted something different in the 3 parts between verse and choruses. That went pretty bad i think, but i like the song. And we are working on a cooler soloparts. We had this cool female singer joining us, very cool in the 2 choruses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF32MtVg7-M

Just finished recording. A Remark You Made by Joe Zawinul and Weather Report off of Heavy Weather.

A Remark You Made

Bravo, and again. Very impressive indeed. One of my favourite WR pieces and a classic. That's quite a thing to do on guitar.

I can hear that you've listened very closely to the original, including the sax and keyboard lines - what chart did you use for the chords?

I love Weather Report to this day - one of my favourite bands - I've bookmarked your page.

Well done and thankyou, this is inspiring.

Bravo, and again. Very impressive indeed. One of my favourite WR pieces and a classic. That's quite a thing to do on guitar.

I can hear that you've listened very closely to the original, including the sax and keyboard lines - what chart did you use for the chords?

I love Weather Report to this day - one of my favourite bands - I've bookmarked your page.

Well done and thankyou, this is inspiring.

Thanks for the positive feedback. It definitely was an undertaking for me. My guitar instructor transcribed the chords and lead parts. He is amazing because he hears stuff that I don't. He had the entire piece transcribed in about two weeks (17 pages of music, and of course, the double bar repeats were only written once and the improv parts were not written). It took me over 6 months to learn it all so that I could play both parts all the way through from memory. You gotta love a piece of music to spend that much time on it.

sellen! Just listened to your stuff. Loved it. Nice work!

Thanks man!!

I heard your stuff as well. And like "jdgm" wrote-very impressive [thumbup]

Have long have you had an instructor?

Started once a couple of years ago myself, but i felt the instructor was more into showing of his skills than learning me. So i gave it up

Started once a couple of years ago myself, but i felt the instructor was more into showing of his skills than learning me. So i gave it up

I started lessons around 2003 from an excellent instructor who graduated from the Atlanta Institute of Music. The only time he played, other than demonstrating concepts, was when he was accompanying me during improvisation. I took lessons from him on and off for the next eight years. He taught me enough so that I now know how to teach myself. At this point, I think learning songs is more important than learning theory. But learning theory makes learning songs (and making them your own) a hellovalot easier.

I appreciate the positive feedback. Sorry if I told you more than you wanted to know.

I started lessons around 2003 from an excellent instructor who graduated from the Atlanta Institute of Music. I got serious about the guitar again around 1995, and after a while, found myself stagnating. He gave me a great mix of songs and theory. He taught me good practice habits, and this helped motivate me to play. The only time he played, other than demonstrating concepts, was when he was accompanying me during improvisation. I took lessons from him on and off for the next eight years. You just gotta find the right teacher to get the maximum benefit, and allow yourself some time away from the instructor to practice/apply what you've been taught. He taught me enough so that I now know how to teach myself. At this point, I think learning songs is more important than learning theory. But learning theory makes learning songs (and making them your own) a hellovalot easier.

I appreciate the positive feedback. One thing that I would change about the song I did is in the improvised section. In an improvisation, you have to build it and add dynamics to it. I just started off and finished about the same way, and it totally lacks dynamics. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to get it finished, because the improv section was the last part that I did in the recording. Maybe some day I'll go back and redo that part.

Sorry if I told you more than you wanted to know.

Seems like a great instructor.

Yea it can always be better, and i think we always will feel it that way.

As long as there is progress im happy, it's just a hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

@ sellen couldn't find your vid. you removed?

@ zig wow. it sounded so clean both the playing and the recording. very cool.

@ badblues damn, dude...I felt the pain of your bad day. you get the feels all in there.

@ mister I like how you sang that song. it reminded me of the singers of the 50s. very well paced and patient and...sway

I made a cover...I never do them. The audio track is ever so slightly off, but meh...you get to see how little I am and how high my voice can go at like a minute and a half, lol ^.^V

http://youtu.be/Iy9aKbVaK60

I made a cover...I never do them. The audio track is ever so slightly off, but meh...you get to see how little I am and how high my voice can go at like a minute and a half, lol ^.^V

http://youtu.be/Iy9aKbVaK60

Izzy, with you it is possible to make a new Fleetwood Mac :) . The only, the dress-impress must be, maybe, a slightly different :unsure: .

Izzy, with you it is possible to make a new Fleetwood Mac :) . The only, the dress-impress must be, maybe, a slightly different :unsure: .

Lol, yeah, I sort of dress for comfort...I may put on a t-shirt next time I make a vid...maybe. [flapper]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived