Gibson Brands Forums

Microphonig bridge pickup?????????????

presvis

Hi

I have a gibson custom les paul 1991. I recently swapped the bridge pickup for a seymour duncan distortion sh-6. I noticed with medium gain it makes a weird feedback/squeal/microphoning sound and i dont know why. ( i put a golden pickup cover on the new pickup to match the old one). Any ideas and suggestions??????? Thank you

I have shorten the springs in order to get them back in . because i was trying without success because they were too long. bu they still have tension..

Shortening those springs could be your issue. Compressing those springs to get back on is tricky, but they are long like that for a reason. If they do not have enough tension on them, they can and will make noise. And, they need a lot of tension.

I had the same issue occur with a Mexican Telecaster I put a Seymour Duncan humbucker in. I trimmed the spring because I could not get it back on. After several issues, and a trip to a tech, the resolution was to put the right length springs back in to get the right tension on the pickup mount. Then my squealing went away. It's amazing what vibrating spring will produce.

Shortening those springs could be your issue. Compressing those springs to get back on is tricky, but they are long like that for a reason. If they do not have enough tension on them, they can and will make noise. And, they need a lot of tension.

I had the same issue occur with a Mexican Telecaster I put a Seymour Duncan humbucker in. I trimmed the spring because I could not get it back on. After several issues, and a trip to a tech, the resolution was to put the right length springs back in to get the right tension on the pickup mount. Then my squealing went away. It's amazing what vibrating spring will produce.

Thanks Man .

A few things to look at:

[1] Is the pickup cover touching the side of the pickup ring? The springs and screws isolate the pickup from the vibration of the guitar body. This is undone if the pickup is touching the mounting ring

[2] is it more microphonic to the touch that the prevous pickup, e.g does tapping the pickup make a louder sound through the amp? if so, is it equally loud when the screws are removed? If removing the screws makes no difference to the amount of microphony, it's probably not a spring issue.

[3] are the coils screwed to the base of the pick up. If so, are these screws loose?

[4] if none of this works, then you probaly need wax potting, as previously described in this thread.

Springs? I've been using surgical tubing for years now. Decades. I thought everyone did.

rct

yes I've used surgical tubing on the bridge position with no problems. sometimes the springs do not compress enough to allow for correct height adjustment and rather than cut the springs i use surgical tubing.

older PUPS tend to have longer mounting legs than the newer PUPS so sometimes you have to be creative during set ups.

I have also cut springs before and not had issues. However I was interested that others have :-k

Archived