Gibson Brands Forums

Noise Supressors

Wolff

I think the Lounge area handles the amp and fx questions or comments well.... The thing that I didn't like about GT (GearTalk forum) was there were too many sections, got confusing and lost the sense of community. Seemed that way to me, but thats just me....

What type do you guys use? I've had a BOSS NS-2 for years and it seems to get the job done nicely.

@Mike - can we have an Amp/Effects forum section plz?

Hi, Wolff!

I have a Boss NS-2 as well. I also use the noise gate that's built into my DigiTech RP350, which works GREAT! <g>

Cat Daddy

• 2 years later...

Hi, Wolff!

I have a Boss NS-2 as well. I also use the noise gate that's built into my DigiTech RP350, which works GREAT! <g>

Cat Daddy

i have a ns-2 also, and i had a rp350 but never knew it had a noise gate? :-k

I use the one in my Line 6 POD combine the noise gate with the built in (non effect) compressor in the POD I have found a REAL happy medium between utter silence from the gate and restored harmonics with the compressor. Definitely not for everyone, I really only use it when I am cranking the crap out of the gain.

I would say try and solve the noise issue first with quality cables, and using a GFCI power strips. Then check your guitars and make sure they are grounded / shielded properly.... that is one the most over-looked areas when it comes to guitars.

Next check the amp... tube amps with a flaky tube can make a buzzy noise, also some amps have a polarity switch that can quite the noise a bit.

1. Is the noise apparent when the amp is turned with no guitar plugged in?

2. Or is there only noise when a guitar is plugged in to the amp?

Keep in mind a noise suppressor never gets rid of the noise... it's still there while your playing and can really hurt the color of your effects.

ISP Decimator - when needed and depending on the guitar - it's easy to use and set and adds no artificial artifects and will clean up single coils without any issues.

I'm surprised more people don't use one also, it's the easiest way to get rid of single coil hum and other noise artifects from overdrive that annoy the hell out of me.

Archived