Gibson Brands Forums

New- Les Paul Classic Plus/Classic Customs

GibSinCity

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, I'll have to get my hands on a Gibson with a baked maple FB to see how it feels and sounds, but I really don't like the look, especially on the Custom.

If baked maple is where Gibson is going, I might have avoid retail and look to the used market. . [glare]

Now I have a serious GAS!!! Had some minor ones recently, like for a 50's Tribute Humbucker edition, also for a blue Melody Maker SG. But this time it's getting very very serious...Maple-boarded Custom?!!?? Natural finish???!? Must have one!!! I will wait a week, just to calm down a bit, and if the GAS is still serious, I'll place my pre-order. [scared]

The darker the rosewood the more I like it. I absolutely hate the 'boards on those two models. It looks so very wrong.

Really, Really Horrible. Seriously, I wouldn't even take one as a gift.

IMO those are look more 'wrong' than the Firebird X.

P.

IMO those are look more 'wrong' than the Firebird X.

P.

yeah i played the firebird X on the gibson tourbus last month. It felt like a toy guitar and is as small as you originally perceived it to be. I'm interested to try a baked maple fretboard if only to identify the differences between the 2 guitars (Baked Maple VS Rosewood) never been a fan of maple glossed boards. I understand the reason for it and I hope the fact that its baked maple helps

If only Gibson would give into the government's bullying and allow India to prepare the fretboard. The "Made in America" badge looks silly, anyway.

india does partially prepair the fretboard. The issue is finishing the rosewood in america and India does not have a problem with it. In order to appease the US goverment Gibson would have to send all their necks over to India and have them apply and finish the rosewood to the maple/mahogany necks. This would mean having to open a factory over in india to do so costing Gibson more which will be reflective in the price we pay for Gibsons.

my suggestion would be to move the factories to canada or mexico and cut out America and the taxes paid to america for making the guitars on home soil.

However this change in topic is for another thread, an exhausted one <_<

This one has a darker board. I have a SG MM in SatinBlue with the baked maple board and it is a great board, smooth and stable. The guitar also has a maple body so it's hard to compare it directly with another SG.

127210697_f.jpg

What about the price 1899 for a custom seem real low, but I guess it's not a custom shop custom.

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and I've had a bad case of GAS most of my adult life. I've owned many Gibson Les Pauls over the years. I also prefer maple or ebony fingerboards. It is just a personal preference. I decided to pick one of these Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus w/baked maple fingerboard. Got it recently from Sweetwater. I really like the guitar including the fingerboard. The feel of the wood on my fingers reminds me of the maple fingerboard on my Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat. I like the pickups too and the Kluson tuners seem to stay in tune well. Though I will likely change them to Gotoh Locking Klusons simply because I like locking tuners. I think this guitar is an amazing value for the price. Think about it, a Gibson Les Paul 'with a flamed maple top' and in heritage Cherry Sunburst for $1900 USD new!? Some of the previously posted images had very pale looking fingerboards. None of the ones at Sweetwater look that was to me (go have a look). I am posting some of the images of my actual guitar taken by Sweetwater. The color of the fingerboard is pretty close to what I see in person. I realize that for a traditionalist, the rosewood may be hard to overcome and I can respect that.

Regards,

Joe

GLP3.jpg

GLP.jpg

Hello Charlie! That's a beauty! Oh my God!!! I am thinking about getting one in antique natural, but really shouldn't spend more money on guitars. I don't know how long I can resist...After all an almost "proper" Custom for half the price...Shouldn't skip this one. Cheers... Bence

Well, I probably have gone a bit "overboard," on posting photos, of my

newest "Classic Custom," but it's such a great guitar! Absolutely flawless,

(at least to these "old" eyes), and the sound, from the '57/'57+ is my idea

of Heaven, tone wise! It really is a great "updated model" Les Paul! [biggrin]

CB

Archived