Gibson Brands Forums

New- Les Paul Classic Plus/Classic Customs

GibSinCity

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, nitefly, To my ears, there is some difference between the two but not much. I used my Fender Princeton Chorus {no chorus, little reverb} to compare them, set the knobs on both guitars at the same levels or numbers and played the same riffs and songs. To me the 08 Standard is a little more mellower than the Classic. This could be in the difference of age, I got the Standard 3 yrs ago and it has been #1 for pretty much everything, so it got a lot of playing, could use new strings too. But the way they are now the Standard has more of a bluesy vibe & sound whereas the Classic has more bite and attack. {maple vs rosewood??} Playability was equal to me, sustain more in favor of the Classic. again older strings & fretboard? or maybe Burstbuckers in the Standard and Classic 57s in the Classic. In the next few days I'll put some new wire on the Standard and run them again {any excuse to play them right?} and post what I hear. I also think the more the Classic is played , it's going to open up some more and I'll have a little change in tone. But the way they stand right now, I would use the Standard for more softer & mellower stuff and the Classic for harder & edgier things probably with a tube screamer. Of course, all this is being heard with 58yr old ears, that has heard a lot music, some LOUD, some soft. Hope this made sense. TC

Hi TC,

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I read your comparisons with much interest, specifically but not limited to the point on sustain as others have mentioned that the Classic has loads. I got an 08 Std in June of this year and love it! Enjoy her! All the best. Nitefly

Oh, that's a good one ThunderChild. I love the Wine Red.

Thanks, I am very happy with it. And really, my fingers can't tell the difference between rosewood and the baked maple. The maple is just one iota lighter than my 08 standard's rosewood. I'll try to get them side by side and post a photo. TC

I can feel a huge difference between rose and maple, to me the burnt maple feels like ebony.

[/quote

I wish I was good enough to tell the difference, :( but the fingers on my left hand are so callused from playin bass & 6 strings for 40 yrs, I really can't feel anything, [crying] except when I play one of my Fenders with the varnished maple fretboard. can you feel the texture or grain? can you explain the difference to me?

ps: I'm not trying to be a smart a--, I would like to know. TC

Hi TC,

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I read your comparisons with much interest, specifically but not limited to the point on sustain as others have mentioned that the Classic has loads. I got an 08 Std in June of this year and love it! Enjoy her! All the best. Nitefly

Hey nitefly, A couple of weeks ago we talked about how the classic compared to the 08 standard. I put new strings on both of them {Elixir polyweb electric regular light .010-.046} and went thru the same routine as before, the response of both guitars was about the same as before. Both were brighter, but I put that down to new strings. The classic just seems to have more bite and attack, the standard's got the mellowness. Both of them sounded great and they feel great playing them, but to my ears there's a difference. Sustain goes to the classic by about 4-5 seconds. Notes were clearer towards the end than the standard, this might be a combination of fretboard, age, and weight. The classic is almost 2lbs heavier than the standard. I could tell there was a difference between them, but not that much. One thing to remember, this was done very unscientific. Weighting the guitars on the bathroom scales, playing each one about 5 to 10 mins. at a time for about an hour and trying to record them on an old cassette deck. There ya go, love them both, think they are both beautiful, can play any kind of music on either one, but to me, two distinct sounds. AS always, just my opinion. GOD Bless TC

First post as a new member of this forum! Very happy to have found this thread....

I am shopping for my first Les Paul (first Gibson too) as a gift from my wife for my 50th birthday. I have played LPs at GC... several Standard Traditional Pro(s) and Plus(s)(liked with 60's neck only), an Ebony Custom ($3800 version... loved), and have yet to find a Classic Custom locally to play... but am anxious to try one after reading this thread. The Ebony Custom truly played like butter... it was Plek'd.... but it also had wide/flat fretwire, which the Pro/Plus did not. I'm sure this has a lot to do with how it felt. Which fretwire comes stock on the Classic Custom?

My first post here and my first Les Paul

DSCF2237.jpg

Well ...... my Wine Red Les Paul Custom Classic arrived today......

DSCF2239.jpg

Yaaaaaaaaaaaa.... to say it lived up to expectations would be an understatement.

DSCF2240.jpg

The sound of the 57's when I got it set right on my Peavey Classic 30 with the new Celestion in it was to die for.

DSCF2244.jpg

Just like what you hear on the dudes from across the pond youtube video......

DSCF2248.jpg

It's a picture to look at! Finish is immaculate!

DSCF2250.jpg

The action is very nice right out of the case with the 10's on it.

DSCF2246.jpg

Usually use Slinky Hybrid but we'll play these for a while and see what happens.

DSCF2244.jpg

What is not to like! Pics Everywhere!

DSCF2238.jpg

First post as a new member of this forum! Very happy to have found this thread....

I am shopping for my first Les Paul (first Gibson too) as a gift from my wife for my 50th birthday. I have played LPs at GC... several Standard Traditional Pro(s) and Plus(s)(liked with 60's neck only), an Ebony Custom ($3800 version... loved), and have yet to find a Classic Custom locally to play... but am anxious to try one after reading this thread. The Ebony Custom truly played like butter... it was Plek'd.... but it also had wide/flat fretwire, which the Pro/Plus did not. I'm sure this has a lot to do with how it felt. Which fretwire comes stock on the Classic Custom?

The silver ones......... lol

Wow I need to get me a wife to buy me a instrument. Welcome and no worries about buying on line. I live in Hill Billy Hell and most of my recent purchases (all three Giby Gtrs) were purchased at AMS and they have a great payment program where the cost if divided into 5 equal payments no intrest and a small fee of like 7 bucks to do the payment plans.

About Classic Custom

Splash-01.jpg

I would also suggest looking at Sweetwater.com Although they do not have as much of Guitar Center's vast array of instructional, songbooks, and accessories they do offer the same extended warrantee already included in the price of the guitar, plus free shipping on any size order, 24/7/365. Which is quite expensive at GC. Not to mention no tax on out of state orders, as long as your not from Indiana.

I'm planning on buying several things there especially my guitar cause I'm a total spaz and well that kind of warrantee coverage will most likely save my proverbial @$$. Plus the little Fender CHampion 600 (5 wat) AMP is $20 cheaper.

What can I say times are tough I'll take what I can get where I can get it.... And well to me shipping is the biggest and most expensive hurdle to clear next to the baseline cost. I just don't want to be gouged for wanting a quality product I can trust!

First thing I noticed when playing the Classic Custom is the fret wire is very tall compared to other Les Pauls. There is some noticeable "fretnoise" also, but it doesn't come through the amp. It is definitely different than any other Les Paul I have played. Despite it's name, this guitar is not in the same league as a true LP Custom. But then again, what guitar is? I think the price of the Classic Custom matches its quality.

Hi all, newbie here.

Stumbles across the forum a while ago and thought I'd take the opportunity of posting a few pix of my beloved Gold-Top Classic.

I don't know too much about the guitar other than it was bought for me by my wife as a wedding present a few years ago. All I know is that it has a real beefy, creamy tone which suits my punky style of play. I think it has stock burstbuckers and i'm sure the headstock number will give an indication of the model year....haven't a clue to be honest. [cursing] ...headstock number is 032829

I hook this LP up to a Laney Lionheart all-tube amp and alternate between a Digitech RP500 and my modded Rat distortion....awesome tones all round.

The Goldtop is a bit of a back-breaker and I'm sure I'll be walking with a hunchback in time!!

If anyone can shed any light on the year of manufacture or other interesting info on this it would be appreciated as I'm just a regular chap who loves great guitar tone.

Cheers

Gazz

post-38909-008164900 1325950124_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a fantastic guitar! I have the LP Classic Plus 50's neck. This and my L6-S reissue guitar are the favorites of my seven Gibson guitars. The LP Classic Plus pickups sound almost exactly like '57 Classics, only louder. Frankly, I was not expecting the great tone from a high output pickup. It was a pleasant surprise.

Gibson got it right!

Archived