Gibson Brands Forums

If You Could Only Own One Guitar for Life, What Would It Be?

JazzGtr

My wife wanting to know why I needed to have so many guitars in my life. "Is it possible to own just one guitar and be satisfied for the rest of my life?" was her second question. Later in the day, I pondered the question with a few beers and realized that her question was more profound. As a musician, what is it that we are searching for in our guitars? Hence, I discovered that her question made me think of another, more important question (good beer).

What would this one guitar be?

Damn!!! I don't think that I could get by with just one...

Think about it... You'd need, at the very least 1 acoustic and 1 electric. For me, that would be a Martin D-41 and my LP R4.

BUT... Keeping with the spirit of the thread, I guess I'd have to go with an L-5 or an ES-175...

I don't think I could get by with just one for all the things I like to do... but my CS-356 has made all other humbucker lust go away for me. In five years of trying to convince myself I need a Historic LP too, I've so far been unable to convince myself that I miss anything that might be missing (if you see what I'm saying). Being able to get close to a little Tele bite and twang on the bridge pickup, a terrific warm and jazzy clean on the neck, and a great bluesy growl with a little overdrive in the chain from somewhere makes it a very versatile jack of all trades to me. I could live without my other electrics if it came down to it.

But my Tele has been tuned to five string Open G for many months now and I sure would miss it!

I have spent 30 years answering that question and my answer is, "can't do it with one." I voted for the 335, but the LP Deluxe sounds completely different, and better on certain material; the Dobro's tuned to G and the '30s Regal to D; one bass is fretted, the other fretless; one flat-top is a fancy custom-built jumbo with flamed back and sides and butterfly inlays, and the other is an old Ventura with a custom bearclaw spruce top and it sounds like a piano.

Les Paul' date=' for sure! The problem is, you can't have only one.

Honestly, I'm still not satisfied...don't know if I can be.

So, rest assure and tell your wife that there are many others like you in this world...[/quote']

The difference between us and alcoholics is, they try to get cured.

Yep. You forgot a serious entry.

ES-339.

I haven't touched any of my other electrics since i got it. In fact, I'm seriously thinking about trading my 91 tele in on an '08 Standard Lester for my daughters birthday because, I swear, I don't think I'll ever play it again.

And it was my #1 for the last 2+ years, gigging 40/50 weekends a year.

The ES-339 is a very versatile, comfortable, tone machine that will do any type music VERY well.

Murph.

There you have it. Trying to distill it all down to a single guitar is vain, unprofitable, and a singularly pointless exercise. If it were that easy, we'd all own one guitar apiece.

I tried and tried to keep my total down to 8, but this morning I retrieved my Fender Classic '50s Precision from the shop where I had traded it in, and now I unapologetically have 9.

All superior axes, each with its own voice, I don't wear the same clothes every day, why should I play the same guitar?

I have a Fender Big Apple Strat from 2001 that is a complete jack of all trades master of none guitar.It has 2 humbuckings a Seymour Duncan 59 + in the neck position and a Pearly Gates + in the bridge.Both these pickups are wound for a little more treble hense the plus.The 5 way switch gives you ,neck humbucker,neck single coil nearest neck,Both humbuckers together,Both inside single coils(a real Strat sounding quack) and the bridge humbucker by itself.No mini switches or push pull pots yet lots of great sounds.If I can only take one guitar this is it.Add a little more treble on your amp and the Pearly Gates Humbucker does a passible Tele.The best part is that the original neck turned out to be a trainwreck so Fender sent me a new neck,one of the ones with the rolled neck edges.It's a real player.

Archived