Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Mandolin

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

Just came across this Mandolin in a local listing and wondered if it was anything that would be a good piece (if in great shape & stuff of course). Didn't know if this is just an entry level Epiphone MIC or maybe MIK or why it has the Gibson TRC on it?

I'm working to find the age & model # from the owner if they know it.

Anything you can tell me about this & maybe what to pay for it, if good quality, would be appreciated. Never had or held a Mandolin yet, but I love the sound. Dillard's, here I come!!! Yeee Haww

Aster

EpiphoneManolin2.jpg

EpiphoneManolin.jpg

From a distance it looks like a cheap MIC item....nothing wrong with that...

There are loads of mandolins out there

Even up to the hysterical Gibson I saw for $25000...

IMO a mandolin or two (electric and acoustic) and a ukelele

Are essential occupants of the self-respecting guitarists'

Toolbag....

V

:-({|=

Thanks for the help. The owner finally replied and it's a 1998 MM-20 EPI. He wanted $175 for it. When I told him they sell new for $149 with frt., he said well, he would let it go for $145 then. I think I'll pass. :rolleyes:

Still do think a Mandy would be nice to have. Any suggestions on what to get?

Aster

I got a Mid-Missouri mandolin a number of years ago as a starter and it continues to serve me well today. Today for various business reasons the company's been reincorporated as Big Muddy Mandolin, but from the ones I've seen everything is still the same as the old Mid-Missouris. They're all handmade in Missouri out of solid woods, and a great value, I think.

• 2 months later...

How is that Mandobird to play. My son pointed it out to me that he wanted it. Looking buy it at a store tomorrow. It's amazing how the whole folk scene with mandolins and ukes are back for the kids in their twenties. My son loves this band called mumford sons, I played him some Kingston Trio and he loved it. Nice to bond with him again.

How is that Mandobird to play. My son pointed it out to me that he wanted it. Looking buy it at a store tomorrow. It's amazing how the whole folk scene with mandolins and ukes are back for the kids in their twenties. My son loves this band called mumford sons, I played him some Kingston Trio and he loved it. Nice to bond with him again.

It's a nice serious instrument...very solidly built, great feeling neck and fretboard...akin to the Nighthawk guitar

Anybody with a bit of violin exposure will find the mandolin easy to move to

My early enthusiasms were Fairport Convention, Bluegrass, Vivaldi etc

Nowadays REM and Rod Stewart probably catch most imaginations.....

V

:-({|=

• 4 weeks later...

Archived