Gibson Brands Forums

Bo Seleckta! (switch)

Hi Guys,

The selector switch on my ebony sg standard is starting to play up, switching to the treble position sometimes causes complete silence, giving the switch a vicious flick with the pleck causes it to crickle back to life again.

I've no (hardly any at all) experience with electronics, a similar thing occurred to the 5-way on my fender squire strat (oddly also to the bridge pickup position), I did a quick fix by just bending the contacts back again giving them a little more elasticity. But it was never really 100% and I don't want to f@ck around with it if you know what I mean.

1st question - it is going to be the selector switch isn't it? Replacing this should fix it yeah?

2nd question - is there much danger for getting a cheap and cheerful swicth like this one from eBay or is this a false economy and should I get an actual Gibson make one OR is there a switch make that you'd always use, that I should get

3rd question - like I said, an electronics genius I'm not, I'm guessing it'd just be a case of unsoldering the existing switch, and re-soldering the new one in, pin for pin - is there anything else a novice should know about this?

Thanks guys

Hi Guys,

The selector switch on my ebony sg standard is starting to play up, switching to the treble position sometimes causes complete silence, giving the switch a vicious flick with the pleck causes it to crickle back to life again.

I've no (hardly any at all) experience with electronics, a similar thing occurred to the 5-way on my fender squire strat (oddly also to the bridge pickup position), I did a quick fix by just bending the contacts back again giving them a little more elasticity. But it was never really 100% and I don't want to f@ck around with it if you know what I mean.

1st question - it is going to be the selector switch isn't it? Replacing this should fix it yeah?

2nd question - is there much danger for getting a cheap and cheerful swicth like this one from eBay or is this a false economy and should I get an actual Gibson make one OR is there a switch make that you'd always use, that I should get

3rd question - like I said, an electronics genius I'm not, I'm guessing it'd just be a case of unsoldering the existing switch, and re-soldering the new one in, pin for pin - is there anything else a novice should know about this?

Thanks guys

Try spraying the switch with contact cleaner from the inside. If you don't have contact cleaner (it is always handy to have anyway) use WD-40 or a similar light oil. If you use an oil be careful not to spray it all over the control cavity and give it a good wipe afterward. Pay particular attention to the little black pointed contacts. Give them a gentle wipe with a clean cloth. See if maybe it is sticking when you flip the switch. If it is gently bend the contact or lubricate it until it doesn't. I doubt that you will need to replace the switch, but it is a pretty easy job if you do. Buy a good quality switch if you need one. You get what you pay for.