Gibson Brands Forums

homemade guitars + Queen

rockitmarty

i was wikiing some info on some of my favorite guitar players the other day and I came across some info ab Brian May (queen guitarist) I didn't know this but maybe some of you do he apparently has a home made guitar called the red special and he certainly plays the hell out of it!

in light of the fact that queen is coming out with an album called cosmos rocks on the 28th of this month I was curious what you guys thought about home made guitars or if any of you have tried them??

also see if you like the new queen stuff (w bad company singer paul rodgers) when you get a chance

im curious if you guys are gonna like that as well?

http://www.imeem.com/queen/music/FHCE0R0v/queen_paul_rodgers_clebrity/

Marty out =D>

umGD

1. Eddie Van Halen is freakin' awesome for those of you who didn't already know.

2. never built a guitar but I've been wrestling with the idea of building either an EVH guitar or a Les Paul with a tele neck, don't know why but I'm thinkin' that would be the coolest thing ever.

3. Queen without Mr. Mercury is not Queen so I don't care about the new stuff

Well here's the big thing with building your own guitar, it's not all that hard if you start out with a pre-routed body, which you can get by buying an old junker from a pawn shop. After that it helps to know a few things 1. compatability 2. who you can turn to 3. your own limitations

1. Compatability is a key in building a guitar, you cant put a fender neck in a les paul body without serious body modification, because a les paul isn't even bolt on neck construction. Compatability is also a key with electronics, the wrong potentiometer pickup combo and the guitar will just make pings. 2. This is possibly the most important thing, you have to have friends who can help you. If you aren't any good at woodworking, have someone who can help you, don't know dip about electrical work? go to you chemistry teacher, worked for me. 3. This is the last thing, dont rush into these things. If you don't have any experience dont go in over your head, my example, I tried to bind a lp-100 body which didnt even have routed edges, needless to say I ended up with a really sloppy looking job. I don't mean to discourage anyone from building their own guitar, it's very enjoyable, not that difficult and extremely rewarding so have fun

I have a guitar that I built.

By building I'm talking about I bought a body that was already shaped, routed and only needed final sanding and a finish. Mine is a strat body and a strat neck both from the same company to make sure they would fit. So yes it is building my own, but a real pure view would be to shape and route the body yourself and maybe buy a finished neck. I don't have the skills or tools to do that.

I had 2 pick-ups from previous strats and put them in the neck and middle position. One was from a 72 strat and the other was from a 25th silver anniversary model back in the 80s. For the bridge I bought a Seymour Duncan humbucker. I wired the switch to make that pickup split into true single coil in the 2nd position on the pickup selector switch along with the middle pickup.

I made a few mistakes along the way, but that's part of the learning process. I bought all my parts from stewmac, but Warmouth has a much larger selection of body styles and neck styles. The next one I build I will probably buy the body and neck from Warmouth. For me the key to building is getting the neck and body from the same company to ensure they will fit together with little problems.

As for new queen - I have not heard them with Rodgers. I am curious how they will sound doing classic queen songs.

Im on my way to bed so ill be brief...

Brian May and his dad built the red special from scratch. The body is old wood from Mays fireplace mantle.

Eddie Van-sell out, did nothing more then change a bolt on neck and install a pup. Something any one of us could do here in about half an hour.

Brian May is an amazing guy. He supposedley built that red guitar you always see him playing, with his dad. He also has a degree in asto physics or something like that. I think he's actually done stuff for NASA. He's written books on astronomy too, I guess that has something to do with the new album title.

I actually like what I've heard of the Paul Rogers stuff. I like the fact that they, don't try to duplicate Freddie. Paul sings the songs in his style. I wouldn't have thought it would sound good, but it actually does. To me, that is much more classy than having some Freddie imitator step in.

Depends on how far you want to go to "build" your own guitar. I attended a Luthier school and hand built 2 guitars. One electric and 1 acoustic and let me say, there is SO much more involved then one may think! I built my electric from "blocks" of wood for the body and neck. I have always like the look of a Telecaster but my Les Pauls tone is impossible to beat, so I decided to make a "carved top" tele with a set neck and all Gibson electronics. The school I went to taught "old school" with minimal use of power tools, so hand carving the flame maple top and neck shape was a long but very enjoyable expereince! I am now in the process of building a few more for prototypesdemo's. Buying a kit from Warmoth, Stewmac or Allparts can be very rewarding as well and much easier to start out with. The best thing about it is when someone comes up to me during a show and trys to figure out what make and model my "Tele" is and to be able to say that I built it feels GREAT!! I think any type of homemade guitar is the way to go!! Except for a good old genuine Les Paul!! sure, I could build a replica, but..........it just isn't a TRUE Gibson Les Paul!!

As far as Queen?......I think Paul is one of the best vocalist ever in rock. I LOVE Queen. The 2 together?,,,,,it's hard for me to really enjoy it as I like the 2 for different reasons. I am interested in hearing the new stuff.

I saw Queen in 1982 for the "Hot Space" tour.

Floor seats, Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto....Billy Squier opened for them.

Great concert. Freddie was fantastic, as were the rest of the band. To this day, it was the loudest concert

I have ever attended. I was almost deaf for 2 days.

Archived