Gibson Brands Forums

Why and What -

E-minor7

"Might be a good time to take a couple weeks off the forum and think about what and why you are posting here",

Danner wrote in the Is it my imagination, , , thread. Not a bad statement and it made me put this idea together. I kind of know why I'm reading and writing here. Haven't thought too much about it, I just feel I know : To learn about and be in contact with acoustic Gibsons (obviously) – to help others who might need a hint on topics I happen to cover – to experience interesting exchanges with other Forumites – to sometimes drive down peculiar, clever, scientific, slightly weird, unexplored paths on that account – and to have fun.

How about you. Does anyone feel like sharing. It could be a way for the different members of the Board (us all) to stick a jigsaw-puzzle together and turn a light on things.

Well, admit I'm not sure – maybe I'm too square (shouldered) here.

"Might be a good time to take a couple weeks off the forum and think about what and why you are posting here",

Danner wrote in the Is it my imagination, , , thread. Not a bad statement and it made me put this idea together. I kind of know why I'm reading and writing here. Haven't thought too much about it, I just feel I know : To learn about and be in contact with acoustic Gibsons (obviously) – to help others who might need a hint on topics I happen to cover – to experience interesting exchanges with other Forumites – to sometimes drive down peculiar, clever, scientific, slightly weird, unexplored paths on that account – and to have fun.

How about you. Does anyone feel like sharing. It could be a way for the different members of the Board (us all) to stick a jigsaw-puzzle together and turn a light on things.

Well, admit I'm not sure – maybe I'm too square (shouldered) here.

Well said Em7, My mind is racing. But I dare not speak. I tremble to post....But want to share....

2278011680066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

The sexy curvature of the '57 CF100E 'cutaway'.

I come here for Gibson acoustic yakking. Every site I've ever been a part of goes through PIA phases and gets overly sensitive mods AND posters. Just the way it is. I've been banned from more than one site myself! (I was innocent, I tell ya. I was framed!!! No, I purposely provoked a few times. I can do that. Except for here. I wouldn't do that here. Really. Cross my heart, pinky swear.)

Best to always remember: this is the internet, thin skins CAN get penetrated. Get a helmet.

ps...I ALWAYS do my best to be respectful and treat folks in places like this as if it were real life, rather than hiding behind the anonymity of the interweb. But I DO respond to flat-out disrespectful jerks the same way I would in real life. My nature.

"I'm a rebel, Dottie, a loner!"

Pee-wee Herman.

It depends on what a forum is trying to be, it depends if there is a common vision between the moderators and admin. More often than not this is missing thus some mods are more sensitive than others, some admins are more inclined to forcefully direct a forum while others are laissez-faire about it.

In my opinion there is only so much technical data one can want or need about a/your guitar, the geek-speak and data-charts are one thing, but they do little to influence what's more often than not a snap-decision on any guitar model, it's either right or wrong for you and this normally requires a touch'n'feel session. As we live in an age where online purchases are more and more common people are inclined to get the geek-speak low-down on a model they're interested in and decide to take the plunge or cool off, it's all fairly simple really...

This gives birth to the other aspect, the community, like any gathering there is the forming, storming, norming and performing stages of any group, the down-side is this is online, not in person which gives some people the latitude to be a bit braver, more outspoken and more challenging than they might be in person. Anyone can choose to be who they want on the internet, few are willing to go to the bother of trying to disprove peoples 'back-story' and most are accepted/rejected based on their conduct.

Without the community aspect this would be a fairly boring place that could easily be put out to pasture if Gibson would get serious about their website and provide detailed specs, a quick glance through this forum would give them all the market research they need on the type of data people are looking for. What's left is a community of enthusiasts sharing tales and fails and having the opportunity to post some pics of their wares to a fairly similarly minded audience. Nothing more nothing less.

Like any relationship, there's a full range of emotions to run-through for many participants and not always the pretty ones either, unfortunately they're often aired for the world to read.It's all natural in the pursuit of building a community of enthusiasts on any given subject, not just guitars. For all the forums I have been in and out of down the years I would say this place is pretty genial for most of the time, there's knowledgeable people, there's the 'characters' and there's also a few detractors too to stop it being too much of a fan-boy site, criticisms are levelled, debated and we have the benefit of some actual Gibson people taking part too... realistically what more could you want? it's natural to have a bit of steam blown off here and there

Haven't spent much time here recently since my last rant about the direction the forum seemed to be going, mostly because of health issues, just out of the hospital last night.

I have to agree with you, there isn't an infinite knowledge base of the technical aspects of the guitars, related equipment, and music. Most of the questions I see posted have been asked AND answered time and again. I relize that one of the forum rules asks you to search for similar posts before your questions are asked or opinions are expressed...but I have never had any success with searches ! perhaps the webmaster should look at refining the search capabilities.

I have always enjoyed the so called off topic posts such as youtube clips, pictures and questions regarding other manufacturers equipment, and ugly guitars of the week, the things that a small percentage of the members find offensive, and my opinion of that percentage has not, and will not change.

At this point I'm still a member mostly because of the friends that I have made here, but I also enjoy looking at beautiful and vintage guitars as well as the ugly ones, and I still learn something new on a fairly regular basis.

(very important to me).

BUT, I have to agree with Rod, often I find myself biting my tongue rather than posting. BTW Rod, ya never answered my last message. Whatup wit dat?

Fred

Haven't spent much time here recently since my last rant about the direction the forum seemed to be going, mostly because of health issues, just out of the hospital last night.

I have to agree with you, there isn't an infinite knowledge base of the technical aspects of the guitars, related equipment, and music. Most of the questions I see posted have been asked AND answered time and again. I relize that one of the forum rules asks you to search for similar posts before your questions are asked or opinions are expressed...but I have never had any success with searches ! perhaps the webmaster should look at refining the search capabilities.

I have always enjoyed the so called off topic posts such as youtube clips, pictures and questions regarding other manufacturers equipment, and ugly guitars of the week, the things that a small percentage of the members find offensive, and my opinion of that percentage has not, and will not change.

At this point I'm still a member mostly because of the friends that I have made here, but I also enjoy looking at beautiful and vintage guitars as well as the ugly ones, and I still learn something new on a fairly regular basis.

(very important to me).

BUT, I have to agree with Rod, often I find myself biting my tongue rather than posting. BTW Rod, ya never answered my last message. Whatup wit dat?

Fred

Fred, I'm glad you're home....I didn't know you got sick..... let me know if there is anything I can do...(ask Nurse Nancy to visit?)

Like you, I came for comradery and information on Gibsons, but stayed 'cause of the friends I've made.

I have only been playing the guitar for about three years (three years this summer) and only really been playing (with a teacher) for under a year. Every time I read this forum it reminds me that I am just a novice at this hobby. I come here to learn and to reflect on the experience of people who have spent a large chunk of their lives practicing a hobby that I love. I have always found an incredible amount of information and talent here. I come here to bask in that talent and history. I like to learn about guitars, most anything about guitars really since I comparatively know so little.

Fred

Sorry to hear you are having health problems.

I am afraid I was guilty of posting a question the other day that had only been posted a few days previously by some others. I did do a few searches first and the forum database gave me a result that included every post for the last week. I tried again with " in front of the search object and " at the end of the line - this use to work on database searches I did for work, but it didn't seem to make any difference here.

You just have to be very specific in a search, which is difficult if you don't really know what you want.

BluesKing777.

(very important to me).

Fred

Hey Fred, Glad your out of the hospital. Home is definitely a better place to be [thumbup]

Sorry If I didn,t reply. You may have to send again as I thought I responded to all PM's or emails :-k

Hope you are out of pain, Rod

This forum has been very informative and enjoyable for me, sometimes amusing. I first browsed the forum for information before I bought my guitar. I still gleam a lot of information to which I give you all thanks. There is a lot of quality knowledge here. The forum also has a community aspect to it. Personally, I spend far too much time on it, but it is fun. I too got a kick out of the ugly guitar of the month. There have been too unnecessary many political flair ups. If I have wrongfully, or inappropriately, offended somebody I apologize. I have a question about the use of walrus ivory for a saddle but have been reluctant to ask because I don’t want a lecture on not eating meat and cause another flair up. Some political rankling can be fun and no I don’t drive a Volvo or a pickup truck (I drive a minivan and still only have room for one guitar – but that is all I have, so I’m OK with that!). If this post lacks continuity it is because I composed it around grilling salmon, eating supper, and going to Boy Scouts. I’m not a professional or semi-professional musician, but thanks for putting up with me anyway.

chasAK

That is the best summary of Gibsons I've EVER heard!!!! LOL....Bluesking...right on!!!

Ya know, I've never put this together before...but Bluesking's statement made me think... Gibsons...the Jaguars of Guitars!

Jags are one of the sexiest cars ever built....but unless you have mechanical aptitude, (or a bucket of money), they are impossible to keep running.

Taylors... Lexus

Martins...BMW

Yamahas....well.... Yamahas!

Ya know, I've never put this together before...but Bluesking's statement made me think... Gibsons...the Jaguars of Guitars!

Jags are one of the sexiest cars ever built....but unless you have mechanical aptitude, (or a bucket of money), they are impossible to keep running.

Taylors... Lexus

Martins...BMW

Yamahas....well.... Yamahas!

Question: Why didn't the English invent television?

Answer: They couldn't figure out a way to make it leak oil.

Question: Why didn't the English invent television?

Answer: They couldn't figure out a way to make it leak oil.

Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

'Cause John Lucas built the refrigerators.

(can you tell I was a Jag owner for 15 years?)

Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

'Cause John Lucas built the refrigerators.

(can you tell I was a Jag owner for 15 years?)

Yes, I can: Lucas, Prince of Darkness strikes again.

Don't feel all alone on that. My wife went through an MG-TC, a Healey 3000, and a 3.8 S Jag. I brought a 911 to the marriage. It leaked oil like a sieve, too. Now, we just drive a Volvo V-70 (like all the rest of us liberal commie tree-huggers, apparently). Getting rid of "our" car infatuation has allowed me to focus on American guitars.

American guitars don't leak oil. And they start every time.

Now, we just drive a Volvo V-70 (like all the rest of us liberal commie tree-huggers, apparently). Getting rid of "our" car infatuation has allowed me to focus on American guitars.

Do you have a "Save The Wales" bumper sticker too?

I still drive the Rolls Royce, (and yes...it leaks too), but our main vehicle is the Honda CR-V.

It can be towed behind the Motor Home, one of the few automatics that can be 'flat-towed'.

Appreciate everyone's concern. A number of you were aware of my back problems and the fact that I was scheduled for surgery the week after SANSJAM, unfortunately my insurance company decided not to approve the procedure the day before it was scheduled. I have been taking massive amounts of prescription opioid painkillers for over ten years. Long story short... the surgery was finally approved two weeks ago after a very short heart to heart between my attorney and the insurance co. Immediate relief from back issues, but the withdrawal symptoms from the pain meds among other things mimicked the symptoms of a heart attack, which would have been my second in two years.

Hopefully withdrawal will be done within 30 days. The private message was concerning a deleted thread, believe it was one of Wiley's regarding an off brand git. Anyway, all betta brudda ! Almost.

Bob, don't think nurse Nancy would set well with Dot, but I sure do appreciate the offer. And the next time you do a show in Roseville and don't come by the ranch you're gonna be in deep doodoo [tongue]

Biggest concern right now is where is our GG [confused]

Thanks again to all for your concern, let's find Karen and start plannin the next SANSJAM [thumbup]

Hey Fred, Glad your out of the hospital. Home is definitely a better place to be [thumbup]

Sorry If I didn,t reply. You may have to send again as I thought I responded to all PM's or emails :-k

Hope you are out of pain, Rod

Appreciate everyone's concern. A number of you were aware of my back problems and the fact that I was scheduled for surgery the week after SANSJAM, unfortunately my insurance company decided not to approve the procedure the day before it was scheduled. I have been taking massive amounts of prescription opioid painkillers for over ten years. Long story short... the surgery was finally approved two weeks ago after a very short heart to heart between my attorney and the insurance co. Immediate relief from back issues, but the withdrawal symptoms from the pain meds among other things mimicked the symptoms of a heart attack, which would have been my second in two years.

Hopefully withdrawal will be done within 30 days. The private message was concerning a deleted thread, believe it was one of Wiley's regarding an off brand git. Anyway, all betta brudda ! Almost.

Bob, don't think nurse Nancy would set well with Dot, but I sure do appreciate the offer. And the next time you do a show in Roseville and don't come by the ranch you're gonna be in deep doodoo [tongue]

Biggest concern right now is where is our GG [confused]

Thanks again to all for your concern, let's find Karen and start plannin the next SANSJAM [thumbup]

Fred, I recall the pain killers and your back...but man, I thought that happened months ago!

So glad to hear you're back among the mobile..... and Nurse Nancy is just a figure of my imagination!! (Keven wouldn't be tended to by her either)

Everyone knows you "married up" with Dot!

Keep safe, my friend.

Haven't spent much time here recently since my last rant about the direction the forum seemed to be going, mostly because of health issues,

Fred

Sorry to hear about your back problems olf. Makes me admire the newly built room even more.

Don't forget the man in your avatar had serious back problems as a younger man.

It made him pick lighter guitars, but never stopped him from playing.

I come here because I'm a Gibson player and, other than playing 'em, there's nothing I like better than to talk about guitars...where better to talk about my favourite guitars than on a forum stuffed with good souls whose favourite guitars are made by the same folks as mine!

I also come here because I rely on my instruments for my living, and we live in a world where every other guitar shop is full of bull. There are two places I know I can get a straight answer on an issue regarding my instruments-from my luthier or from here. So much cumulative experience and willingness to contribute and offer help and opinion makes this board thoroughly worth frequenting. I'm really happy to be able to return regularly and post from a smartphone that works with the forum again.

Yes, all true, but this forum is dangerous. I believe I have gained six guitars since reading this forum. All great guitars but hard to explain the 'why' to just anybody, except an old friend that got in contact with me recently, revealing that he was also a bit of a 'Collector"......

BluesKing777.

Archived