Gibson Brands Forums

What kInd of Capo do you Use?

folkster

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered a Dunlop Victor on the recommendation of Jinder, Dave in SLC and others back in 2009 and have used it exclusively since then. The Shubb is very good but the Victor does seem to produce a better sound. It is also a better capo than the Shubb when someone else is to use your guitar and capo - hard to screw up with the DV. Its use is supremely self-evident. You see a thing with movable jaws and there is a dingus you turn to tighten or loosen them. It takes some hard work to misunderstand that.

I ordered a Dunlop Victor on the recommendation of Jinder, Dave in SLC and others back in 2009 and have used it exclusively since then. The Shubb is very good but the Victor does seem to produce a better sound. It is also a better capo than the Shubb when someone else is to use your guitar and capo - hard to screw up with the DV. Its use is supremely self-evident. You see a thing with movable jaws and there is a dingus you turn to tighten or loosen them. It takes some hard work to misunderstand that.

Jerry nailed it here. I've been using the Dunlop Victor for six years now (as I remember, I was given a Johnny Cash signature Victor for Xmas in '05) and have never found a capo I like more. It's the only capo I've ever used that makes my guitars sound better when it's in use...light, durable, easy to use, discreet, attractive, relatively inexpensive, and unlike the Shubb, it can be clamped to the headstock when not in use, so I never lose it-on the other hand, I lost six or so Shubbs over a 9mth touring schedule in '04, because I used to hang them over the mic stand boom angle crank handle, then leave venues without them...no such probs with the Victor-HIGHLY recommended!

Not a fan. Got one a few months ago but keyser is still the standard for me. With the g7 I feel like it's no as fast to get on correctly and it doesn't easily clamp onto the headstock

I've got a G7th as a backup, but I was put off a bit by a pal who was given a prototype G7th years ago which refused to detach itself during a gig-he was stuck doing on-the-spot transpositions onstage around the 5th fret for the rest of his show!

I gather they've been refined since then, and I've certainly had no probs with mine (it feels delicious, all that soft matte finish and lovely action, and works well) but the Victor is always my No.1 choice.

I also own a couple of Planet Waves NS capos which I've bought in the past when stuck without my Victor. It's a similar principle to the Victor but doesn't do the job quite as well. The fretting arm is quite high-profile and is prone to getting knocked askew when changing first-position chords on the fly, and the grub screw has no end-stop and will fall out if unscrewed too far. It also won't close up enough to affix to the headstock of a Gibson. I keep one NS in the car (just in case) and have given the other to my good lady wife for her Baritone Ukulele.

I have a Kyser too that I bought when in a pinch-the thing is WAY too oversprung and pulls everything wildly sharp when in use. I find Kysers are at their best when they're so well-used they're about to fall apart...the spring is nicely softened by then.

What's a CAPO?

Like Wiley, I've stayed away from Capos over the years.... was a kind of point of pride for me. I bought a tuner on ebay several months ago and the guy included a Capo.....not a great one, but a capo none the less....then I heard Krassi play "Ghost"...and watched Paul Simon play "Sounds of Silence" at the 9/11 memorial....both used Capos ....A guy gave me a $100 gift certificate for ZZounds last Christmas.......well, $100 ain't gonna get you much, but I had to use it or lose it....so I bought a pair of Bongos and two Dunlop trigger Capos, (came to $99.85), and they seem very good. After almost 50 years of playing, I'm doing something new!

Like Wiley, I've stayed away from Capos over the years.... was a kind of point of pride for me. I bought a tuner on ebay several months ago and the guy included a Capo.....not a great one, but a capo none the less....then I heard Krassi play "Ghost"...and watched Paul Simon play "Sounds of Silence" at the 9/11 memorial....both used Capos ....A guy gave me a $100 gift certificate for ZZounds last Christmas.......well, $100 ain't gonna get you much, but I had to use it or lose it....so I bought a pair of Bongos and two Dunlop trigger Capos, (came to $99.85), and they seem very good. After almost 50 years of playing, I'm doing something new!

Rob, like you, I haven't used a capo since the late 60's. I have a nasty old metal one that looks like some sort of torture device. However, since I have lost almost all of my vocal range, I'm either going to have to start using a capo, or transpose everything I've ever played into different keys. I've found that with my flatpicking style, I definitely prefer playing songs in one key rather than the other, and you get used to picking them that way. They don't always sound exactly right when transposed if you're used to hearing them one way.

Based on the discussions above, I'm going to give the Shubb Deluxe a try. Time to get modern.

Bongos? Not sure they go with your image. Are you re-living something deep and dark in your past that you don't want to share?

Since 1993:

Kyser

Since 2008:

Dunlop 83CB - for my classical guitar.

Since 2009:

Kiser Drop D

Since 2009:

Kyser Short Cut

Since 2009:

G7 Nashville Silver

Lately I plan to get this one:

G7th Newport

Somewhere in 1978 - 1979 I used a this one:

Hamilton (but when I was a recrute in the army someone stole it from me...)

I like most the Kyser.

I was joking of course......I once went to a "trunk show" locally with Kenny Sultan playing some Martin guitars and doing his thing. He always capo'd his guitar at the 2nd fret, and he doesn't even sing. He plays a lot of ragtime stuff and he played the same song with and without a capo to show us the difference, and it DID sound better with the capo. So I tried capo'ing all my guitars, and some sound good with the capo, and some not so. Some sound REALLY good with the capo, especially way up the neck (think David Rawlings) Some songs just sound better without capo, so transposing chords is the best way to go. just an observation.....I use Shubb and Planet Waves, and Kyser

I've used Kyser, Dunlop Trigger, PlanetWaves Dual Action, Shubb and G7th.

The G7th is the best capo I've ever used for fast, easy, stay in tune performance. It is a little heavy but I'm hoping to get my hands on the new G7th Nashville.

I find myself using my Shubb quite a bit even though I have the G7th. In situations where I'm not performing but recording, the Shubb is preferred because I can place it very accurately, set the tension precisely, and it had low mass and the smallest profile of any capo I've used. So when I have the time to set it and tune to it, the Shubb is the better capo.

Archived