Gibson Brands Forums

What kInd of Capo do you Use?

folkster

I have tried out the G7th for the last couple of days. Feels like it dampens the sound of my guitars considerably, way more than the cheap Dunlop capo I was using before. Moreover, the unpadded metal part at the back of the G7th sometimes comes into contact with the neck of my Aaron Lewis Southen Jumbo. So I think I'll try the Shubb next.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was joking of course......I once went to a "trunk show" locally with Kenny Sultan playing some Martin guitars and doing his thing. He always capo'd his guitar at the 2nd fret, and he doesn't even sing. He plays a lot of ragtime stuff and he played the same song with and without a capo to show us the difference, and it DID sound better with the capo. So I tried capo'ing all my guitars, and some sound good with the capo, and some not so. Some sound REALLY good with the capo, especially way up the neck (think David Rawlings) Some songs just sound better without capo, so transposing chords is the best way to go. just an observation.....I use Shubb and Planet Waves, and Kyser

Kenny Sultan is the real deal!

Did you notice which capo he used?

BluesKing777.

P.S. What is a 'trunk show'?

I went to get the new G7th capo yesterday but asked for the "Nashville" instead of the "Newport". I got out of the store before I realized my mistake and turned around and went back. Of course they didn't have on in stock at that store. So today, I drove a few miles north of Calgary to the Cross Iron Mills GuitarWorks store and exchanged the Nashville for the Newport.

Which capo do you use with your 12 string, Drathbun?

BluesKing777.

RE: playing sounding better with capo...

Some of that may be resonance of a give instrument. Some... perhaps the shorter scale... some perhaps that where one picks is at a different percentage of the string length.

The flamenco pickers in the old days did a lot of capo stuff, almost inevitably. Even some blues pickers have used a capo all or part of the time.

Jazz pickers, it seems to me, are the least likely followed by rockers and electric country folks. That's why I tend to think too that some acoustic guitars may actually sound better with... and perhaps less effect other than shorter scale on a solidbody electric.

Mother Maybelle played a lot with a capo.

Fingerboard radius seems to me to have a lot to do with whether/how some strings may buzz. I think there are brands with somewhat different curves.

For what it's worth, on my nylon, I'm still using the same "classical guitar" capo I bought in 1963. Rosewood block with a string to a rosewood tuner type thing that's a friction fit to tighten it. No protective leather on the string, just the string. Various designs otherwise have come and gone. Now as I said, mostly the Kysers and some emergency rubber band versions.

m

Archived