Gibson Brands Forums

It's about f-k-ing time!

jaxson50

The more I look at it the more I like it. It looks like a guitar that would be great with a set of P-90s into it.

Well, considering that the all maple body and neck, along with the very comfy body, one could upgrade it as a P-90 monster........

For me, I could have a boutique pick-up maker re-create the Bill Lawerence ceramics...........

That's a heavy new list price though.....Used ones DO pop up though....Although I am under strict instructions to avoid

guitar purchases at this time......Doesn't mean I can't buy HER any guitars though....hmmmmm......

Well, considering that the all maple body and neck, along with the very comfy body, one could upgrade it as a P-90 monster........

For me, I could have a boutique pick-up maker re-create the Bill Lawerence ceramics...........

That's a heavy new list price though.....Used ones DO pop up though....Although I am under strict instructions to avoid

guitar purchases at this time......Doesn't mean I can't buy HER any guitars though....hmmmmm......

Damian, When Old Boise Guitar closed I bought a Bill Lawrence sound hole acoustic pick up with a volume dial, they were blowing them out, what a killer pickup! I wish I would have bought several.

My concerns with this re-issue is that the Vari-tone has been replaced with a nonsence switch, and,

the pickups are NOT the original Bill Lawrence pickups, which were magical ceramic gems..............

These were my concerns too. 490s? Yuck. And that dial should be a true varitone.

The biggest thing I see is that they only made it 22 frets not 24 like the originals. I see that "The glued-in Grade-A maple neck neck is carved to a fast, slim profile". Not on mine they aren't. I have a 73 natural and a 74 burst and I would consider them both to not be slim.

say what you will about the 70's... it was full of obscure models from Gibson that much like the original V and Explorer, didn't get the recognition they were due until after they were discontinued.

Now whoever suggested a Gibson USA release of the '59 V... I'd find a way to get my hands on one. Provided they actually used '57 Classic and Classic + pickups in it as opposed to burstbuckers or anything else.

say what you will about the 70's... it was full of obscure models from Gibson that much like the original V and Explorer, didn't get the recognition they were due until after they were discontinued.

Now whoever suggested a Gibson USA release of the '59 V... I'd find a way to get my hands on one. Provided they actually used '57 Classic and Classic + pickups in it as opposed to burstbuckers or anything else.

Well, they did do the 76 Explorer

http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-usa/76-explorer/

and if thats not a limited run then I will find a way to get my hands on one asap....same goes for the 59 V

damian, on 30 October 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

My concerns with this re-issue is that the Vari-tone has been replaced with a nonsence switch, and,

the pickups are NOT the original Bill Lawrence pickups, which were magical ceramic gems..............

These were my concerns too. 490s? Yuck. And that dial should be a true varitone.

FYI guys, the 6-position switch on the original wasn't a Varitone. You're right that the new one is different, but neither of them are a Varitone.

What was it then ???? Hmmm.......[confused] ..

It was a pickup selector, much like the switch on the new one in a way, but instead of the coil tap options offered by the new one there were series/parallel and in phase/out of phase options. Both are pretty versatile really, but personally I like the option of single coils.

It was a pickup selector, much like the switch on the new one in a way, but instead of the coil tap options offered by the new one there were series/parallel and in phase/out of phase options. Both are pretty versatile really, but personally I like the option of single coils.

Thank you Cecil.......Yes, that makes perfect sense.........So, in theory, one could re-wire the new model the old way.........

Now I'm on a quest to learn the exact original pick-up specs........Those were quite special (IMHO)......

Archived