Gibson Brands Forums

Purchase advice on Doves in Flight-please help

JPizzzle

Life is a chance.... you live once.....and then you're dead for a really long time!

This is true, the caveats being:

1) The afterlife as promised by many popular religions is supposed to be better than your current setup, according to all advertised media and the say-so of populists from each collective...

2) If #1 turns out to be untrue in its entirety and there's just a lot of nothing, time will be a forgotten concept therefore you will just be dead, time is irrelevant to a final and absolute state.

However, back to the DIF ;) If you're going to be truly gutted by a few marks that might not buff-out, or some marks that will still show some evidence even with a drop-filler, reseal & shine then you're probably best waiting for the next one to roll up, you won't see many of these at a time as too many cheapens the product, there will no doubt be a few owners out there waiting their time to sell just as there's none on the market.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is true, the caveats being:

1) The afterlife as promised by many popular religions is supposed to be better than your current setup, according to all advertised media and the say-so of populists from each collective...

I'm a firm believer that there is an afterlife in which I'll "live" eternally....but not sure there will be a DIF for me there!

Hopefully the hart guitar will have some MOP inlays!!

Maybe all guitarists are presented with harp guitars, rather than regular harps. That may be where all the old Gibson ones have gone. MOP inlays would seem to be appropriate for a harp guitar.

Hey all,

here's an update. The seller sent me more pics of the scratches. Good news, he said that he used some guitar polish and found that most of the scratches were actually smudges. He took some pics of the scratches that were left. Let me know what you guys think in terms of removal. Buffing possible? sanding -spraying and repolishing? Impact your decision in any way? Thanks guys appreciative again. Also if you can reply sometime tonight that would be great since i'll likely be placing the order if at all tonight. Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8545932@N08/sets/72157627914577919/

JP, these guitars don't come up very often (I've never seen one-ever-in the UK!), at the end of the day a new set of Grover machineheads will cost you £40/$70, and the scratches can be sorted out.

It's a beautiful guitar at a very competitive price. I have a strong feeling that you'll kick yourself if you let it go.

My advice would be to buy it, and within the 30 day return period have the scratches investigated by a luthier. (And disregard your luthier's brand prejudice-my luthier reckons Gibson are the only big-name guitar maker out there at the moment making instruments good enough for a professional performer to use, so it's DEFINITELY a case of different strokes when it comes to luthiers' opinions on brands!)

If the scratches are unfixable and you can't live with them, return the guitar and carry on life as normal.

Personally, I have a thing for aesthetically pleasing guitars, having owned a pair of J200s, a Dove and a pair of Hummingbirds over the years, but I'd always rather buy a used guitar with a scratch or two on it-that way I save myself the hassle of breaking my own heart with the first ding I put in it!

Chances are, you'll tune up, hit an open E chord (the best sounding chord in the universe when played on a Dove!) And immediately be thinking "scratches?!? What scratches...?"

Hey all,

here's an update. The seller sent me more pics of the scratches. Good news, he said that he used some guitar polish and found that most of the scratches were actually smudges. He took some pics of the scratches that were left. Let me know what you guys think in terms of removal. Buffing possible? sanding -spraying and repolishing? Impact your decision in any way? Thanks guys appreciative again. Also if you can reply sometime tonight that would be great since i'll likely be placing the order if at all tonight. Thanks

I'm guessing that at least 75% of what I see will buff out. I can't believe you are equivocating on this. Since there is a return policy, just buy the damn thing. As a buyer, I would rather see a few light scratches than a re-spray.

It's a guitar, for crying out loud, not the bloody Holy Grail! If you play it, it will get scratches. If you don't play it, why bother owning it? We own and play guitars here: we don't own them to stare at them. Well, not usually, in any case.

I'm guessing that at least 75% of what I see will buff out. I can't believe you are equivocating on this. Since there is a return policy, just buy the damn thing. As a buyer, I would rather see a few light scratches than a re-spray.

It's a guitar, for crying out loud, not the bloody Holy Grail! If you play it, it will get scratches. If you don't play it, why bother owning it? We own and play guitars here: we don't own them to stare at them. Well, not usually, in any case.

Hah I think i'm gonna buy it! lol, will it matter that I suck at playing? lol, not like I play for audience - I just feel like if you have this thing then you should be an amazing player, but oh well :) I have an lp standard and suck on that too

Hah I think i'm gonna buy it! lol, will it matter that I suck at playing? lol, not like I play for audience - I just feel like if you have this thing then you should be an amazing player, but oh well :) I have an lp standard and suck on that too

You should not feel guilty about purchasing the best instrument you can afford. There's nothing wrong with that, no matter what your skill level. . B)

Thanks Kahune,

Sometimes I wonder-Also, that auction on ebay has been changed to a 24hr with a starting bid of $4200 for a brand new DIF. No return policy, but still a good deal for a DIF new-tempted to grab it but it might be out of my price range

JP... pull the damn trigger!

If this guitar is anything like the DIF's I've played, you'll find it's much more than just a pretty face......

I couldn't even play a whole song before I got mine! (okay...maybe that's stretching the truth...but they ARE a pleasure to play!)

Hello folks!

Well i'm still torturing this poor salesman. Have not bought yet hah. I ended up trying to get that new one that was on ebay, but couldn't settle on a price with the seller. Anyway, I can't seem to figure out this flame on the back. Compared to the other ones that i've seen-it doesn't look matched up or very heavy. That salesman said it looks a little quilted-can't see how, and that he would give it a medium on the flame. What do you guys think-these pics suck. Hopefully i'll have it ordered soon and can see in person.

Not all necks have Even Figure... remember those Necks are pre Cut.. they book match as best as possible.. alot of L5s and Super 400s are no different.. Most of the wood does not show its true figure till color has been added.. the mainconcern should be the rest of the Guitar.. Wear, Cracks, Sinking, and so on.. every guitar has its own character...

Not all necks have Even Figure... remember those Necks are pre Cut.. they book match as best as possible.. alot of L5s and Super 400s are no different.. Most of the wood does not show its true figure till color has been added.. the mainconcern should be the rest of the Guitar.. Wear, Cracks, Sinking, and so on.. every guitar has its own character...

Do you mean the backs or the neck? I was referring to the back.

You're being obsessive, if not ridiculous, at this point. I don't blame you for wanting everything just right but by now you have to $hit or get off the pot.

Given your concerns and seeming inability to get beyond them, I don't think you will be happy if you buy this guitar.

Sound and playability don't appear very high on your priority list.

You're being obsessive, if not ridiculous, at this point. I don't blame you for wanting everything just right but by now you have to $hit or get off the pot.

Given your concerns and seeming inability to get beyond them, I don't think you will be happy if you buy this guitar.

Sound and playability don't appear very high on your priority list.

You are correct I am an obsessive person, and I am going to order this. I was just thinking out loud and asking feedback. Sound and playability are important, but there's no way to judge that at this moment-so i'm looking at the aesthetics.

• 2 months later...

Been there done that, spent all night sweating like a mule eating briars, and I don't mean ice cream either!!! I was told by the factory customer service rep. at Martin what to get and how to apply it to my $10.000 guitar and it like to caused me a heart attack scrubbing so hard and long just to get it off !!! it did remove the light scratches and medium ones that I wanted to remove but I want be doing it myself again. So a word to the wise have a expert do it because it not DIY project that for sure. Also the other post above are right on IMO about high end guitars that's all I buy now and when they are defaced as you described they are no longer a top end guitar they are fancy players only and if you pay the top end price you are sitting yourself up for a big loss money wise should you want to sell it later !!! Good look and choose wisely.

Archived