Gibson Brands Forums

Purchase advice on Doves in Flight-please help

JPizzzle

Dan,

I hope to one day be in your shoes.

I'd give a great deal more to be in YOUR shoes......

I've been working in the same industry since 1967.....(44 Years), and you're probably not even that old!

I have a few more years to work.....and (hopefully) a couple more decades to be alive.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd give a great deal more to be in YOUR shoes......

I've been working in the same industry since 1967.....(44 Years), and you're probably not even that old!

I have a few more years to work.....and (hopefully) a couple more decades to be alive.

Hah, thanks. Not that old, about 27.

Hah, thanks. Not that old, about 27.

ok, I was sent more pics for those interested. I should also be receiving more pics of the scratches. Thanks for all those who posted, i'm really torn at the moment, since I don't see too many of these up for sale. I have a luthier telling me that he can spray nitrous and has worked with gibson and should be able to get the scratches out. Superiorguitar in philadelphia, in case anyway has ever heard. Thanks

p.s. also noticing the gibson inner binding on the headstock is starting to fade on top of the left middle tuner. Is this common?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8545932@N08/sets/72157627895470553/

Ok,

So after some thought and talking with a luthier, I think i'm going to pass on this one. There are too many questions and concerns, and it would cost me about $250 to have it repaired and relaquered by him. I want to purchase this and have no doubts or worries, so i'm gonna hold out for one in better condition. Thanks for all the advice. Very appreciative!

JP

Ok,

So after some thought and talking with a luthier, I think i'm going to pass on this one. There are too many questions and concerns, and it would cost me about $250 to have it repaired and relaquered by him. I want to purchase this and have no doubts or worries, so i'm gonna hold out for one in better condition. Thanks for all the advice. Very appreciative!

JP

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like you shouldn't buy a guitar like this sight unseen. Remember, it's not a brand-new guitar. If it has been played in any significant fashion, it's likely to have some scratches. The gold plating on guitar hardware is microns thick, and has a habit of wearing off fairly quickly. I'm not even sure it plates that well over the base metal, as I don't know at what stage they gold-plate this stuff.

Gold is pretty soft, after all. So is nitro.

I hope you find the one you're looking for. . B)

Thanks, the guy said he'd hold it a couple of more days, but oh well. It's hard to spend that kind of cash on an item whose high value is mainly aesthetic and then have an aesthetic problem

the only last temptation is the 1 year interest free. hmmmm

If you can't pay cash, you shouldn't buy it. Actually, I take that back. I borrowed $50 from my sister to buy my J-45, and paid her back $10 a month. No interest. She came down to the store with me to look at this beat-up old thing, and she could see the gleam in my eye, despite her doubts. A 1948 Gibson 45. And only 18 years young. (The guitar, that is: I was 19).

If you can't pay cash, you shouldn't buy it. Actually, I take that back. I borrowed $50 from my sister to buy my J-45, and paid her back $10 a month. No interest. She came down to the store with me to look at this beat-up old thing, and she could see the gleam in my eye, despite her doubts. A 1948 Gibson 45. And only 18 years young. (The guitar, that is: I was 19).

Hah, not that I can't pay it :). Just that I would rather not.

The 1 year interest free deal is better than paying cash.... you use their money for the year at no cost!

However, as I said earlier, I knew I wouldn't be staisfied with "almost perfect" for this guitar, (DIF), it had to be "perfect" for me.

However, that's because I'm going to leave it to my grandkids, (+ the H'Bird).

For a "player", I could live with a few minor scratches. Lord knows my Dove ain't in showroom condition!

I'd be weary of buying a guitar without being able to play it...but I did buy my DIF without plaing it.... but I was assurred I could return it if it wasn't everything I was told.

The 1 year interest free deal is better than paying cash.... you use their money for the year at no cost!

However, as I said earlier, I knew I wouldn't be staisfied with "almost perfect" for this guitar, (DIF), it had to be "perfect" for me.

However, that's because I'm going to leave it to my grandkids, (+ the H'Bird).

For a "player", I could live with a few minor scratches. Lord knows my Dove ain't in showroom condition!

I'd be weary of buying a guitar without being able to play it...but I did buy my DIF without plaing it.... but I was assurred I could return it if it wasn't everything I was told.

What's frustrating is that I can't seem to find this used anywhere. Even a hummingbird custom koa. It' s making me want to jump on this one, but i know I might end up regretting it. If anyone is in the northridge LA area stop by GC and take a look at it for me. I have it on hold for a couple of more days. I'd appreciate it

BTW. I want to thank everyone for posting and helping me with this decision. I'm certainly a newbie and the support has been amazing. Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to write about my experiences with either a DIF or hummingbird custom. Rob, it looks like you and I have the same tastes in guitars :)

Also, I spoke to my luthier who completely destroyed gibson acoustics and tried to have me buy a custom breedlove. I explained to him that this guitar is an irrational desire and I want it regardless hah

What's frustrating is that I can't seem to find this used anywhere. Even a hummingbird custom koa. It' s making me want to jump on this one, but i know I might end up regretting it. If anyone is in the northridge LA area stop by GC and take a look at it for me. I have it on hold for a couple of more days. I'd appreciate it

BTW. I want to thank everyone for posting and helping me with this decision. I'm certainly a newbie and the support has been amazing. Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to write about my experiences with either a DIF or hummingbird custom. Rob, it looks like you and I have the same tastes in guitars :)

Also, I spoke to my luthier who completely destroyed gibson acoustics and tried to have me buy a custom breedlove. I explained to him that this guitar is an irrational desire and I want it regardless hah

Maybe time for a new luthier!

My guy plays a Martin but wouldn't THINK of trashing my guitars!

JP, when I was dealing with GC in SF, I asked them if they'd send the guitar to Walnut Creek. They said they would, but I decided to have it sent directly to me, with the proviso that if I didn't like it, I could take it to Walnut Creek for a refund.

SF is maybe 30 miles away, but the traffic is horrible.... Walnut Creek is about 10 miles....and an easy drive.

Maybe time for a new luthier!

My guy plays a Martin but wouldn't THINK of trashing my guitars!

JP, when I was dealing with GC in SF, I asked them if they'd send the guitar to Walnut Creek. They said they would, but I decided to have it sent directly to me, with the proviso that if I didn't like it, I could take it to Walnut Creek for a refund.

SF is maybe 30 miles away, but the traffic is horrible.... Walnut Creek is about 10 miles....and an easy drive.

Yea, he's top notch but deff bias. He loves the les paul's though (my other guitar) even though the necks breaks all the time (mine has not). I would have the guitar shipped to Delaware which is about 50 miles from me (tax free). I would have 30 days to return it, but would obviously have to pay before seeing it.

Yea, he's top notch but deff bias. He loves the les paul's though (my other guitar) even though the necks breaks all the time (mine has not). I would have the guitar shipped to Delaware which is about 50 miles from me (tax free). I would have 30 days to return it, but would obviously have to pay before seeing it.

If you're 70/30 (or more) in favor of buying it, it might be worth it......

If you're 70/30 (or more) in favor of buying it, it might be worth it......

That sounds reasonable to me, too. I usually have some reservations about guitars I buy, generally guilt for spending so much money on another "toy" that I don't necessarily need. It's not like I usethem to make a living, unlike some folks here. I just happen to enjoy them.

That sounds reasonable to me, too. I usually have some reservations about guitars I buy, generally guilt for spending so much money on another "toy" that I don't necessarily need. It's not like I usethem to make a living, unlike some folks here. I just happen to enjoy them.

Hah, well i'd prob say that i'm 60/40 in favor and the more I call places and see that it's not in stock the more in favor my choice is becoming. Couple of questions. I'm fine with the tuners, as even gibson admitted at this point that they tarnish over time. I have sent the pics to a couple of luthiers to get an idea of pricing to have it buffed out or refinished. My only other concern now is the inner lining on the headstock appears to be breaking a little on the left side. Strange, I emailed a couple of people about it. I'm thinking that this might just be another thing to put me against this. It seems that when these come on the market that they are in good condition, but who knows when another will pop up. Again, i'd be putting in more money to this to have the scratches taken care of, and it still may look used from the tuners and all. I dunno, this is becoming a headache and not a pleasurable experience, which is making me feel that I will back out of this.

Is it rare for a DIF or hummingbird custom koa to hit the used market? I've seen some old auctions on ebay over the past 6 months, but everywhere I call, I'm getting no luck and being told that they don't show up often....

Hah, well i'd prob say that i'm 60/40 in favor and the more I call places and see that it's not in stock the more in favor my choice is becoming. Couple of questions. I'm fine with the tuners, as even gibson admitted at this point that they tarnish over time. I have sent the pics to a couple of luthiers to get an idea of pricing to have it buffed out or refinished. My only other concern now is the inner lining on the headstock appears to be breaking a little on the left side. Strange, I emailed a couple of people about it. I'm thinking that this might just be another thing to put me against this. It seems that when these come on the market that they are in good condition, but who knows when another will pop up. Again, i'd be putting in more money to this to have the scratches taken care of, and it still may look used from the tuners and all. I dunno, this is becoming a headache and not a pleasurable experience, which is making me feel that I will back out of this.

Is it rare for a DIF or hummingbird custom koa to hit the used market? I've seen some old auctions on ebay over the past 6 months, but everywhere I call, I'm getting no luck and being told that they don't show up often....

When I was searching for a used DIF, they popped up every now and then..... sometimes there would be a couple at once. If you pass on this one, you'll find another....(maybe better....maybe not).

When I searched for a H'Bird Koa.... VERY RARE...few and far between.

When I was searching for a used DIF, they popped up every now and then..... sometimes there would be a couple at once. If you pass on this one, you'll find another....(maybe better....maybe not).

When I searched for a H'Bird Koa.... VERY RARE...few and far between.

Is your H'bird used as well?

Hah, So i had the repair guy at chicago music exchange took a look at the pics. He said that they would buff out no problem and that I should have no reservations about picking up the guitar. I'm getting so much mixed info at this point. One guy tells me that it would have to be refinished, gibson stated that some may come out and some not depending on how deep, and this guy tells me it can be buffed out. Maybe I should just pick it up since there's the 30 day return, take it to a luthier and see what they say. Hopefully the salesman will take some pics tomorrow to give me an idea of how deep the scratches are. Do you guys think if the scratches come out by buffing that then it would be a good deal for 3250-the only issue then would be the fading tuners and the inside lining of the headstock that i'm perhaps nit picking on.

Quite the waffling. B)

Light surface scratches should be no problem - wet sand, buff. Anything deeper can be drop filled and buffed.

It's obvious you're really torn. As I commented before, with a guitar that rarely shows up on the used market, I'd be inclined to go for it, especially if there was a decent return policy.

Quite the waffling. B)

Light surface scratches should be no problem - wet sand, buff. Anything deeper can be drop filled and buffed.

It's obvious you're really torn. As I commented before, with a guitar that rarely shows up on the used market, I'd be inclined to go for it, especially if there was a decent return policy.

Hah, i know. I know. check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-2011-Gibson-Acoustic-Doves-Flight-Custom-Natural-Includes-Case-/120804018478?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c207b092e#ht_2804wt_1304

unfortunately it's new and priced accordingly. Beautiful...

I don't see the problem here - buy it (either on finance or not), get it in hand so you can inspect it more closely, take it to your luthier if you want, and play it for 30 days. I bet when you hear it you won't care about those little scratches anymore...

So you might have to pay to get it shipped back to GC, or do you have one near you you can take it back to? Even if you do have to ship it back, you've lost out on $50 or whatever, and you have the chance to fall in love. Worth the risk I'd say!

JP, no...the H'Bird was new..... SN 10951015. Saw it online Memorial Day weekend....picked it up a week later.

I know you're torn..... and the only thing worse than pulling the trigger and finding a scratch that can't be polished out is not pulling the trigger and wondering if you "missed it".

Life is a chance.... you live once.....and then you're dead for a really long time!

Archived