Gibson Brands Forums

What is my Epiphone Sheraton 1988 model worth?

Haulzitall

Sheraton 1's (like yours)aren't worth as much as Sheraton 2's. From what I've seen, the quality wasn't as consistent back then. Plus people are leary of fret wear and scratchy pots with an older mid-price guitar. Maybe you could get $300 to $350 for it. I doubt any more than that. It's not like they're a vintage guitar and increase with age.

I don't think Epiphone made any Sheratons from '82 to '92, so you may be incorrectly reading the serial number. Post some pics of the guitar and the serial number for a more intelligent answer. Anyway, older Japan/Korea Sheratons typically sell for between $350 and $450 depending on condition, whether it has a case, and local availability/demand. Also whether it's a cash deal or eBay/Paypal. A completed sale search on eBay is the best gauge of actual current value, but here's what the 2011 Blue Book says:

SheratonBBV.jpg

I don't think Epiphone made any Sheratons from '82 to '92, so you may be incorrectly reading the serial number. Post some pics of the guitar and the serial number for a more intelligent answer. Anyway, older Japan/Korea Sheratons typically sell for between $350 and $450 depending on condition, whether it has a case, and local availability/demand. Also whether it's a cash deal or eBay/Paypal. A completed sale search on eBay is the best gauge of actual current value, but here's what the 2011 Blue Book says:

Of course, the prices in the chart you posted aren't for the basic Korean/Chinese models that we're talking about. Those aren't going to go up in value. The guitar-value book I have from several years ago states that Sheratons 1's are worth less than the current Sheraton 2's. Used mid-price imports from those countries usually sell for around half of the new retail price (NOT list price); I know personally, I've bought a bunch of them. And since they aren't 'vintage' instruments by any stretch of the word, the older they get, the more the value declines as it's assumed that the cheaper materials on them won't hold up decade after decade (as compared to a Gibson or other high-end guitars). I don't think anyone's going to pay as much for a 20 year old Sheraton as they would for a 2 year old one. From what I've seen, the quality of Epi's in the last 10 years, Korean and Chinese both, is much better and more consistent than older ones. They have to be...the market's much more competitive.

Of course, the prices in the chart you posted aren't for the basic Korean/Chinese models that we're talking about. Those aren't going to go up in value. The guitar-value book I have from several years ago states that Sheratons 1's are worth less than the current Sheraton 2's. Used mid-price imports from those countries usually sell for around half of the new retail price (NOT list price); I know personally, I've bought a bunch of them. And since they aren't 'vintage' instruments by any stretch of the word, the older they get, the more the value declines as it's assumed that the cheaper materials on them won't hold up decade after decade (as compared to a Gibson or other high-end guitars). I don't think anyone's going to pay as much for a 20 year old Sheraton as they would for a 2 year old one. From what I've seen, the quality of Epi's in the last 10 years, Korean and Chinese both, is much better and more consistent than older ones. They have to be...the market's much more competitive.

I'd agree with that, except the new Sheratons have a 2 x scarfed solid neck and the older ones have a 5-piece laminated neck, no scarfs. IMO, the laminated neck is going to be stiffer (and therefore need less adjustment), last longer, and take more abuse on the long run. For this reason alone, I'd take a used Korean Sherry over a new Chinese version any day and have done.

I paid $400 for my 1987 Samick Sheraton...very happy with the guitar at that proper and fit price.......agree with Brian over the 5 piece necks which is why I bought an older Sheraton.

Nice guitar BUT play it back to back with a Gibson 335 (or a Kalamazoo Epi) and it is all about feel and harmonics the mundane vs the superb

Korean Epi........"tree wood" plastic and OK nice guitar

Gibson 335......."tone wood" bone etc etc........mighty fine

your guitar is worth $350-$400 if in nice condition.

I'd agree with that, except the new Sheratons have a 2 x scarfed solid neck and the older ones have a 5-piece laminated neck, no scarfs. IMO, the laminated neck is going to be stiffer (and therefore need less adjustment), last longer, and take more abuse on the long run. For this reason alone, I'd take a used Korean Sherry over a new Chinese version any day and have done.

True, a multiply neck will be more rigid, but a one-piece will transfer vibrations (and wood tone) better, so I prefer those whenever I can get them.

HI, I have been trying to find out what my 1988 Epiphone Sheraton is worth. It was made in Korea and its production number is 11438. It is in excellent condition with original hardshell case. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Are you selling one? Or at least looking to sell? I'm in the market for a 1988 Sheraton specifically. Just send me a message privately if you are.

does sound right.

True, a multiply neck will be more rigid, but a one-piece will transfer vibrations (and wood tone) better, so I prefer those whenever I can get them.

It's worth pointing out that the highest-end Gibsons (like the L-5CES, Super 400, Citation, etc.) use a 5-piece laminated maple neck with walnut or rosewood strips just like the Sheraton. By comparison, one-piece necks are used on the ES-175, ES-335 and Les Paul.

• 7 years later...

I realise this thread is ancient... but, in case anyone visits via a search (as I did),  I MUST correct a couple of comments above:
Of course Epiphone made Sheraton's in the 1980's! For example, I have owned mine since 1989, which is a mid 80's model made in the famed  Japanese Matsumoku factory... which brings me to another point... the Sheraton I have is of course worth more money than one you would buy now and I promise you that it plays and sounds better than any Gibson 335 I have laid my hands on. . 

Edited by MicVic6

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...