Gibson Brands Forums

What's up with the new hardshell cases?

leovan83

Hey guys!

I used to own a 1999 Gibson Flying V Gothic. It came with a brown hardshell case, that had a "shroud", the interior was pink and it had a combination lock. I believe the brand was TKL. I remember seeing Les Pauls and SG's with the same type of case.

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom (Silverburst) in 2009, brand new, and it came with a different type of harshell case. It looks "cheaper", the "gold" hardware is already starting to corrode, it has a regular "cheap" key lock, and no shroud. Also, it has no "brand", it says Gibson. After owning the guitar for about a month, the handle came off!! I barely touched the thing! Private Reserve Guitars sent me a new hardshell case for free beacuse of this.

Does anyone knows what happened? Did they went that way to cut costs? Do you prefer the older or the newer hardshell cases? What's up?

Yep..Gibson is using cheaper cases....and new fingerboard woods for some models (like the baked maple boards and obeche wood boards). Things will continue in this fashion, reducing quality here and there to remain competative and to keep costs low enough to stay in business. This will happen until (if ever) the economy improves.

Yep..Gibson is using cheaper cases....and new fingerboard woods for some models (like the baked maple boards and obeche wood boards). Things will continue in this fashion, reducing quality here and there to remain competative and to keep costs low enough to stay in business. This will happen until (if ever) the economy improves.

Well, the baked maple models are cheaper right? And you can still get the regular LP Standard with regular rosewood that costs $2,400, I think.

Now, regarding cases, do we all agree then that the newer ones are "cheaper" and worse compared to the ones they used before (the brown ones with the combo lock)?

Also, weird question... would you guys say that the new hardshell cases that Fender is using for both the American Standard and American Deluxe Strats and Teles is a "better" case compared to the ones Gibson uses these days?

My LP case is an '06, and not like the one described above, which I haven't seen. Mine is high quality. The new case that my American Strat came in is also excellent and a vast improvement over the previous cases. It's the best I've seen for an electric guitar.

"Only A Gibson Is Good Enough," so, Now they send a "Good enough" (rather than great) case, apparently. [biggrin]

As to "baked Maple" fingerboards? Rosewood and Ebony are (of course) more traditional, and "nicer"...but,

functionally, or "feel," I have no problem with the one on my most recent purchase, the "Classic Custom"

Gold-Top. I have to say, I'm glad it was one of the "darker" versions. The lighter colored ones, might

be ok, with certain finishes. But, I've Always preferred darker fingerboards, anyway...regardless of the

wood used. Exceptions, would be the blonde maple boards, on certain Fender's.

CB

Gibson Hard shell cases suck and are garbage. Fender has always had a nicer case. My original case my LP shipped in had to be replaced due to damage from shipping. This likely would not have happened with a comparable SKB case. TKL just hasn't kept up. Gibson should contract out to someone else.

SKB and Gator sell very nice aftermarket Gibson Cases. Though for an average Gibson to cost as much as a US Fender (most of the time more), you would think Gibson would at least try and be competitive.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/search.php?fuzzy=0&query=1SKB-56

Nothing wrong with my 2007 case. Good hardware and combination lock, good sturdy handle. Nice plush inside. My guitar still squeaks when I put it to bed in the case. [thumbup]

I was talking about the newer (maybe 2008 or later cases) like mine, which have no combo lock. And my guitar is a Gibson Custom LP Custom.

Talk about unnecessary - a combination lock on a case with "Gibson" written all over it, or worse, "Gibson Custom". If you going to keep it in your house/apartment, what do you need a combination lock for? As far as gigging, most players want a plain case without the Gibson logos all over it that are calling for the nearest lowlife to grab it and run.

Gibson Hard shell cases suck and are garbage. Fender has always had a nicer case. ....

This is simply not true. Most Fender cases average duty. Fender is using the same strategy as Gibson and every other big manufacturer - cheaper cases and gig bags to hold down prices.

No matter who manufactured your guitar with it's "included" case, if you want a really good protective travel worthy case, you'll have to make an aftermarket purchase.

Talk about unnecessary - a combination lock on a case with "Gibson" written all over it, or worse, "Gibson Custom". If you going to keep it in your house/apartment, what do you need a combination lock for? As far as gigging, most players want a plain case without the Gibson logos all over it that are calling for the nearest lowlife to grab it and run.

This is simply not true. Most Fender cases average duty. Fender is using the same strategy as Gibson and every other big manufacturer - cheaper cases and gig bags to hold down prices.

No matter who manufactured your guitar with it's "included" case, if you want a really good protective travel worthy case, you'll have to make an aftermarket purchase.

+1 for the BigKahune! I have 2 recent cases from 2009 and 2010, respectively, that were included with my LP Studios. There is absolutely nothing wrong with either case. In fact, they are better-built than the cases on my '96 Howard Roberts, my '98 ES 165, and my 2000 Tal Farlow. My Custom Shop guitar has a great case, as one would expect, but it's mostly just prettier than the other "Plain Janes".

I can't run as fast after the low-lifes as I used to. But I beat on 'em a lot longer and harder these days, 'cause I don't want to have to fight them once they get to their feet!

J/W

[sneaky]

I was talking about the newer (maybe 2008 or later cases) like mine, which have no combo lock. And my guitar is a Gibson Custom LP Custom.

Mine is an early 08, with a combo lock.. I don't have any complaints with it though.

SKB and Gator sell very nice aftermarket Gibson Cases. Though for an average Gibson to cost as much as a US Fender (most of the time more), you would think Gibson would at least try and be competitive.

SKB makes good cases, I know mine has saved my old Ibanez on a few occasions.

SKB makes good cases, I know mine has saved my old Ibanez on a few occasions.

+1 which is exactly my point. US Standard Teles and Strats come with this SKB case stock (Cost 999.00 at any Fender Dealer, Less than a new Studio). How anyone can compare the Stock Fender SKB case with the stock Gibson TKL case as being equal, just leaves me scratching my head.

I didn't say that a stock Gibson case won't protect my LP just fine. What I am saying, is in comparison, Fender provides a better HSC stock.

.... How anyone can compare the Stock Fender SKB case with the stock Gibson TKL case as being equal, just leaves me scratching my head.

I didn't say that a stock Gibson case won't protect my LP just fine. What I am saying, is in comparison, Fender provides a better HSC stock.

All of these cheap wood or molded plastic $100 to $200 cases being mentioned here are light duty and offer similar levels of protection and crush strength. There goes that scratching again. . B)

The plastic SKB case supplied Fenders is made from thin light duty plastic and foam. I've got one that came with my American Deluxe Strat. It's very similar to the light duty plastic and foam cases that were supplied with my Rickenbacker and Jackson guitars. These light duty plastic cases aren't any better at protecting a guitar than the TKL cases supplied with my Gibson. And while the Fender SKB and Gibson TKL are adequate light duty cases, they are in no way comparable to a well made heavy duty travel case like a Caltron or Anvil - upwards of $500.

the Gibson cases vary my 2001 SG was a black hardshell with the cloth overlay the handle was the plastic piping and that snapped and I had to piece it together. 2008 LP trad had a black hardshell case with a more durable hard plastic handle. MUCH better.

i think the cases seem to vary year after year but if its a decent case your after of course you need to buy aftermarket. I got an SKB for my les paul. fits like a glove with big strong latches. worth it if your gigging touring on a regular basis

All of these cheap wood or molded plastic $100 to $200 cases being mentioned here are light duty and offer similar levels of protection and crush strength. There goes that scratching again. . B)

The plastic SKB case supplied Fenders is made from thin light duty plastic and foam. I've got one that came with my American Deluxe Strat. It's very similar to the light duty plastic and foam cases that were supplied with my Rickenbacker and Jackson guitars. These light duty plastic cases aren't any better at protecting a guitar than the TKL cases supplied with my Gibson. And while the Fender SKB and Gibson TKL are adequate light duty cases, they are in no way comparable to a well made heavy duty travel case like a Caltron or Anvil - upwards of $500.

I will just offer this photo. If a Gibson case had an aluminum tongue/groove, and a bunch of extra foam,(like the SKB) the likely hood of this happening would be much less. You think the thickly foam padded plastic on the Fender case is less durable than the pleather wrapped cardboard on the Gibson case? That's a pretty big shell for a guitar with a non-pitched headstock.

I am not saying the SKB case is top of the line by any stretch of the imagination. But, really, it just seems like you are arguing for arguments sake.

I know what an expensive travel case is. I own an Anvil case. TIA.

P9292329.jpg

P9292331.jpg

The hinges were also completely warped as well. Took quite a bit of jimmying to close the lid.

I will just offer this photo.... The hinges were also completely warped as well. Took quite a bit of jimmying to close the lid.

Sorry to read you've had a problem with a Gibson case. That can happen with cases, plastic or otherwise, from any manufacturer. Did you ask for a replacement?

Unfortunately, I guess your member title sums up your Gibson case situation - "Disgruntled . -.-.-.-.-" . - definitely disgruntled.

I’m also disappointed in the quality of the newer cases. My 339 came in one.

It’s not a good sign when they don’t even take the time to properly vacuum out handfuls of saw dust. They’re not even in the same ball park as the older cases.

I understand that Gibson is struggling and cost cutting like crazy, but I wish customers could at least have the option of upgrading from this Epiphone-quality case to one of the good ones they used to sell.

Epiphone case?? Take a look at the Epiphone cases and you wont believe the quality of them.I bought my son a black Epiphone Les paul 2 years ago and I couldnt believe the quality of his case over my standard Gibson Lp. I just went and grabbed his case to compare to my new Traditional Gold top case and it is night and day.His case has thicker vinyl, more cushion, better hinges and weighs considerbly more.What is going on in Nashville Gibson?? Does any body care about quality there any more.I understand you need to cut costs to stay in business but give us a choice of what we want and need.A custom Les Paul in a crap case I couldnt believe it when I saw this post.

Archived