Gibson Brands Forums

What's up with the new hardshell cases?

leovan83

Remember too, that all these case manufacturers have different levels

of quality/price. Just like the guitar makers, do. So, let's not trash

the case manufacturers, for decisions that Gibson, or any other maker

has made. Don't like the case...refuse it, and pay the difference, for

a better replacement. Besides, having "Gibson" written on the outside

of the case, can be, in some situations, like an invitation, for theft!

CB

All my Gibson cases seeme to be fine. But they don't compare to my PRS and Taylor cases, especially the Taylor.

Hey Rocketman,

Just checked out the photobucket links to your guitars and now I wish I hadn't [scared] ... cause now I have serious GAS!! [drool]

Nice axes really nice!!

having "Gibson" written on the outside

of the case, can be, in some situations, like an invitation, for theft!

CB

yeah i changed to SKB for that very reason.

My 2001 SG case had a made in canada sticker on it cant remember if my les paul case did

I agree the newer cases in comparison to my LP Studio Lites case are lacking in the luster they used to have.

The combination lock on mine is pretty useless though.

It's been more of a hindrance as I have had problems with idiots changing the combination just to be funny.

Sorry to read you've had a problem with a Gibson case. That can happen with cases, plastic or otherwise, from any manufacturer. Did you ask for a replacement?

Unfortunately, I guess your member title sums up your Gibson case situation - "Disgruntled . -.-.-.-.-" . - definitely disgruntled.

Nevermind, wish I hadn't even gotten involved in the conversation.

In the last 3 years I've bought 3 brand new USA Gibsons (2 Les Pauls and an SG Standard)

and they all came with the really nice black white lined cases.

I love 'em!

DSC03638.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

2011-08-01_134958.jpg

Yeah, but I think you'll notice, that the 2 your SG and Studio came in, are not the same, as the one your other Les Paul came with. Same color, and interior color, but without the combination lock, and a bit different "texture" too...right? At least it looks like that, from the photos. My latest "Classic Custom" came in the same kind of case, that your LP Studio came in. The previous Black/White lined cases,

were much nicer. Still, it's adequate, to protect the guitar. Just not as nice, as my older "brown/pink lining and shroud" cases were/are.

CB

In the last 3 years I've bought 3 brand new USA Gibsons (2 Les Pauls and an SG Standard)

I love 'em!

DSC03638.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

2011-08-01_134958.jpg

your first case is the one where my handle snapped in half. though mine had dark grey lining and the shroud 2001 SG

the second 2 cases are like my 2008 LP that seemed alot tougher

The Gibson case for my Trad + LP is every bit as good as the Epi case for my Sheraton.

Both are very plush and fit each guitar like a glove. I particularly like the cushion

on the bottom where the body rests. Each one elevates and angles the guitar just right

so the neck sits comfortably in it place; and keeps the headstock elevated off the bottom.

So only the body and neck are touching the case.

I haven't found the aftermarket cases keep the headstock from touching the bottom of the case.

And it seems with these, the guitar is actually being supported by the headstock.

• 3 months later...

Hey all!

I'm not sure if this is relevant since I bought my Les Paul Frampton signature about 10 years ago. It came with a Gibson hardshell case with the Custom, Art and Historic logo print. Does anyone know if these cases were made by TKL or Cedar Creek? The interior cushioning has really firmed up and it is no longer plush but stiff. When pressure is applied to the fabric it feels like there are crackers underneath and it sounds crackly. I have to use some force to insert the guitar now. I didn't have this problem up until last year but I have since moved to Sweden and have just recently opened the case to discover the issue. Does anyone know if it is possible for the cushioning to be softened? I left a 2 oz. desiccant bag in the inner compartment so maybe this caused the problem? Is the cushioning in this case just foam? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JK

post-41295-056781000 1330900576_thumb.jpg

post-41295-006371600 1330900591_thumb.jpg

post-41295-013965100 1330900604_thumb.jpg

Hey all!

I'm not sure if this is relevant since I bought my Les Paul Frampton signature about 10 years ago. It came with a Gibson hardshell case with the Custom, Art and Historic logo print. Does anyone know if these cases were made by TKL or Cedar Creek? The interior cushioning has really firmed up and it is no longer plush but stiff. When pressure is applied to the fabric it feels like there are crackers underneath and it sounds crackly. I have to use some force to insert the guitar now. I didn't have this problem up until last year but I have since moved to Sweden and have just recently opened the case to discover the issue. Does anyone know if it is possible for the cushioning to be softened? I left a 2 oz. desiccant bag in the inner compartment so maybe this caused the problem? Is the cushioning in this case just foam? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JK

Hmmmm, almost sounds as if the padding has dried out. I'm assuming you're in a fairly "dry" environment, with central heating?

You might want to humidify the air, to 40-50%, just to be safer, for your guitars. Not sure what Gibson's case maker, was using for

the foam padding, back then. But, it sure sounds like it has dried, and is breaking, or crumbling, when forced. ??? Not sure. :unsure:

CB

Hey Rocketman,

Just checked out the photobucket links to your guitars and now I wish I hadn't [scared] ... cause now I have serious GAS!! [drool]

Nice axes really nice!!

Thanks! Love to see some pics of yours as well.

SKB and Gator sell very nice aftermarket Gibson Cases. Though for an average Gibson to cost as much as a US Fender (most of the time more), you would think Gibson would at least try and be competitive.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/search.php?fuzzy=0&query=1SKB-56

I have a Gator case for my SG (which I bought used with the case) and I hate it. Perhaps mine is a cheaper model but the Gator "SG style" case I have has a good 1-1.5 inches for the body of the guitar to bang around inside it. [thumbdn]

The case I got with my LP Studio a couple weeks ago seems well made, says "Gibson USA" on the outside and has white interior. Looks like the same case Angellus posted that houses the wine Studio.

I love 'em!

DSC03638.jpg

Great stuff there! I like those cases too, and have two. My Classic Antique came in one, my Robot Les Paul Jr Special came in one without the lock (was supposed to have a gig bag, the GC Salesman smiled when he pulled it from the box in front of me).

I also bought two used Gibson Cases for my '50's Tribute Les Pauls that are very nice, one with the lock and grained covering, but a black interior, and one a bit older still with smoother vinyl and gray interior. Both are adequate, but I really like the white interior best.

If you want a tough roadable case, the SKB linked elsewhere in this thread is I hear one of the best. Get the version with the TSA locks on it. I see them on eBay once in awhile as low as $110 or so shipped. A guy on another Forum claims to have flown with his like that many times with no trouble.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

I've had a bunch of the different cases over the years, and I think how they

hold up depends a lot on how much use/abuse they get. The brown/pink ones

would often lose the shroud when used a lot. And the hinges, which were often

poorly placed, would break, esp after usage on the road. But I have 70's cases

in bad condition too, and the plastic handle on my (then) brand new '80 Explorer

2 came off after only a couple months! The dealer gave me a new case at the time.

AND I had a plastic case handle come off in my hand recently on a 80's Moderne

re-issue, much to my chagrin and disappointment [cursing], but that was apparently

a common problem with them over the years. So, as much as things change, they seem

to stay the same. If you're taking a guitar on the road, buy a new, better case

(Calton, ATA, SKB, etc) and keep the original home. It'll be in great shape when

you get back, and you finally give your guitar a rest!!

Hmmmm, almost sounds as if the padding has dried out. I'm assuming you're in a fairly "dry" environment, with central heating?

You might want to humidify the air, to 40-50%, just to be safer, for your guitars. Not sure what Gibson's case maker, was using for

the foam padding, back then. But, it sure sounds like it has dried, and is breaking, or crumbling, when forced. ??? Not sure. :unsure:

CB

Thanks for the reply. It turns out TKL made this case - I must have ignored the leather puller on the compartment door for years or maybe I just forgot that it said TKL on it. Anyway, I contacted TKL and they said that the adhesives have dried out and that I should work the padding with my hands to soften it up, which I did. It's not as stiff any more but it's not perfect. I went out and bought an ultrasonic humidifier to try and bring the moisture level up to 40-45% - it was 23%. I also made some homemade guitar case humidifiers with photo film containers and sponges. I never had to worry about humidity levels before now as I lived in Ireland - very wet!

• 1 year later...

Older thread, brought back...Just bought a used Gibson LP Junior that came with a brown hard case with the gold Gibson logo, pink fuzz and a shroud and a combination lock...I think it's a 1990's case. Any ideas on the value? It shows wear, but is all there and working.

Just curious as to the value of this old case.

thanks

mark

Older thread, brought back...Just bought a used Gibson LP Junior that came with a brown hard case with the gold Gibson logo, pink fuzz and a shroud and a combination lock...I think it's a 1990's case. Any ideas on the value? It shows wear, but is all there and working.

Just curious as to the value of this old case.

thanks

mark

Mark

I've seen them ask for as high as $200 on Ebay, that would have to be in good condition and it might appeal to a collector wanting a more original styled case.

I know that a generic style case is about $75 new, and If I was going to pay that much for a case I would just get the SKB flight case.

Archived