Gibson Brands Forums

Set up

ZagsElite

when adjusting the tuneomatic bridge with the screw knobs is there a particular method to get it right? I just eyeballed down the neck to try to get the same gap between string and fret down the fretboard, does this need to be professionally done?

what else needs to be done for an official setup?

and one more, is it normal for the rosewood fretboard to have line intentions and dots in them? I want to say this looks like 'pitting' though I'm not sure what pitting actually is, I'll wipe with lemon oil anything else that needs to be done?

it can be done professionally or you can do it yourself.rosewood does come with cracks or lines in them or whatever you call them.

gibson sell a good conditioner for rosewood called luthiers choice.i use it on my rosewood strats and i,ll use it on my new custom.

check with stewmac online.i bought me a setup tool kit and a new book that just came out by dan earlwine.i forgot the name of

the book.in fact i got the info from a thread on this forum.they have many pros here that can help you.good luck

ZagsElite unless you know for a fact that it's pure lemon oil - no pertolium distilates - then don't use it. Can disolve the glue holding the fret marks in. Plenty of info on guitar setup. Gibson has a 'how to' somewhere as well. After you've made the adjustment and the action is how you like it and there's no fret buzz you should be good to go, no matter what the specs say.

when adjusting the tuneomatic bridge with the screw knobs is there a particular method to get it right? I just eyeballed down the neck to try to get the same gap between string and fret down the fretboard' date=' does this need to be professionally done?[/quote']

If you have a machinist scale, a good place to start is, from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the fat E string about 3/32. From the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the skinny E string about 1/16. Then adjsut slightly lower or higher as you like without getting too much fret buzz.

Fot those using metric, that's 2.38 and 1.58 mm. ](*,)/

hmm yea contains petroleum distillates, but its stuff made for strings instruments..

where do they sell pure lemon oil? would general stores, like grocery and wal mart have them or need to go to a music store?

theres a natural foods store around

what do I need to look for does it just have to say 100% pure lemon oil?

what about something like this http://www.evitaminstore.com/shop/index.php?target=products&product_id=4962

or this stuff from home depot?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100539863&navFlow=3&keyword=pure+lemon+oil&langId=-1&searchRedirect=pure+lemon+oil&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%40eb0acca&ddkey=Search

Archived