Gibson Brands Forums

Quality Control issues again..

rzman

I first would like to start off by saying that I know from other posts about quality control problems but I would like to share my situation with you guys and maybe, just maybe Gibson will start to take notice,I doubt it but we gotta try.

Last month I purchsed a brand new Les Paul Traditional in Light burst from GC. They had it in stock at their ware house and had it shipped to my house.Well guitar arrives at my house in Gibson shipping box.Im extremely excited to say the least.I unpack it open up the case and notice that there are pieces of wood missing on the rosewood fret board in about 3 spots.Sorry no pics,Im very bummed but I still remove it from the case upon furth inspection I notice that the tail piece has been installed crooked! almost on the sam angle as the bridge.I immediatley pack it up and take it back to GC.They cant belive it and say over the last couple of years it becoming an issue that they have discussed with their Gibson rep.

They return it with no problems but no more Light bursts in stock,so I said ship me a Honey Burst.Well, UPS arrives I hurry up and unpack it everything seems okay then I see it! The binding on the cut out is off now I know from previous les pauls I had that they are all off a little this one is off so much you can stick a quarter in it.It looks like the didnt wrap it well when they glued it.It would deff come apart eventually so back to GC for return.Went home with a traditional Gold top.

I have been a fan of ALL Gibson Guitars since I was a kid.I love the sound the feel the heart and soul of these guitars but come on!! These things cost over$2000 bucks.Gibson please !!! Please revamp your quality controll departments, maybe hire some people who actually care about the Guitars they build. I examined about 6 Lespauls at GC and 3 of them had issues that I showed the sales people they couldnt belive it when I pointed it out.Am I being too annal?? You betcha I am!! for the money these cost I DONT WANT FLAWS GIBSON!!! Sorry this is a long post I just felt like venting about it.

PS

My sons Epiphone Les Paul is flawless and so were all of the ones at GC. Maybe they are trying to tell us somthing

The Gold top was perfect.I looked it over and played it for about an hour.I really wanted a Burst but Gold Tops are nice as well.I want to get an SG next when I get my income tax return but im concerned about potential quality issues.They have one in stock at GC that I can see they cut the nut too far down into the neck.When you buy Gibson you should be pumped and excited like a kid on Christmas eve but if I have to order my SG im going to be worried sick about quality issues! This just aint right!

Sadly when mail-ordering Gibsons, you're basically getting a guitar right from their plant. I suggest when you decide to buy an SG (great guitar), you buy it locally. The guitar shop usually fixes any issues before they put it on the floor for testing.

I own 4 Gibson's. 2 of them came from the factory with minor (but annoying) quality control issues. Les Paul Studio came with a hump at the neck / body joint, an unplayable setup, and the toggle switch was INSIDE the guitar, with the washer and nut sliding around free inside the guitar case. My SG came with the strap button on the lower bout screwed in with so much force, the top of the strap button was actually flush with the guitar body! My cheap 'ol Melody Maker and Les Paul Traditional Plus came from the factory perfect! It's a real hit or miss these days, so PLEASE go play a Gibson in the store before you buy one sight-unseen! That's the only surefire way to prevent the heartbreak of receiving a bum guitar !!!!!!! I know many here don't like stores like Guitar Center, but at least you (and everybody else) can get your hands on the guitar to see/hear/play them :)

I've been lucky, with my Gibson's. All, have been as close to "perfect," as

they can be. But, I have seen some, in GC and other Big Box retailers, that

are much less than optimal. Sad! What's worse...those same retailers must not

bother to inspect them, prior to putting them out. My dealer does! They send

back anything that doesn't muster. It's why I've been dealing with them, for

20 years. You're right, guitars put our for sale, shouldn't have "flaws, obvious

or not! It's just unfortunate, that's not the case, all too often. You did the

right thing, by returning both flawed guitars, and not accepting them! Too many

people seem to over look flaws, and buy the BS that "it's within acceptable standards!"

As long as consumers buy into that non-sense, nothing with change, except for the worse.

Glad, though, that you did get a good "Gold Top!" They're always a great looking guitar...

IMHO. After all, Gold Tops, were the original Les Pauls, along with the Black LP Customs!

Cheers,

CB

yes i agree with the above. I never mail order guitars anymore. I go find a dealer and buy it there an then when I can play it and fall in love with it. If your paying that much for a gibson you should take a drive and find one you like rather than ordering online as no 2 guitars are alike.

Got a Strat coming today. Got it from Sweetwater, where you can see pix of your guitar before you buy it. Your salesperson inspects the axe and phones you before he ships it.

You can do a lot better than Guitar Center. I think the consensus is that that they're the worst vendor out there.

Gibson isn't helping themselves by imploding either. Maybe the QC will improve when Henry goes to the big house. [biggrin]

PS

My sons Epiphone Les Paul is flawless

Sounds like Gibson is letting a lot of stuff out the door that never would have been sold before ... I always thought that there was greater pride in workmanship at Gibson than at Epiphone, but maybe not so much anymore.

Sadly when mail-ordering Gibsons, you're basically getting a guitar right from their plant. I suggest when you decide to buy an SG (great guitar), you buy it locally. The guitar shop usually fixes any issues before they put it on the floor for testing.

I ordered my LP Trad Pro last year from a German mailorder dealer called Thomann. It wasn't available in my home country.

It came well padded in the case and packaging material, so I'm guessing nothing could've happened to the guitar during transport. When I opened the case, three of the gold bell knobs were cracked as if someone had hammered them on with excessive force. There were some minor flaws in the binding on the sides of the neck close to the body. The action was OK.

I know the Trad Pro isn't the most expensive of LP models, but I still paid good money for it. Luckily I could replace the knobs at virtually no cost. But what if something else had been badly busted up? Does Gibson even give a s**t about the less expensive guitars they make?

This particular guitar probably came straight from the plant as it had double packaging - one from Thomann encasing the one from Gibson.

If I decide to buy myself an SG Std this year, I'm gonna go down to the local shop and inspect it thoroughly. I'd rather pay a little extra and know what kind of a guitar I'm buying. I suggest you guys do the same with any purchase.

I ordered my LP Trad Pro last year from a German mailorder dealer called Thomann. It wasn't available in my home country.

It came well padded in the case and packaging material, so I'm guessing nothing could've happened to the guitar during transport. When I opened the case, three of the gold bell knobs were cracked as if someone had hammered them on with excessive force. There were some minor flaws in the binding on the sides of the neck close to the body. The action was OK.

I know the Trad Pro isn't the most expensive of LP models, but I still paid good money for it. Luckily I could replace the knobs at virtually no cost. But what if something else had been badly busted up? Does Gibson even give a s**t about the less expensive guitars they make?

This particular guitar probably came straight from the plant as it had double packaging - one from Thomann encasing the one from Gibson.

If I decide to buy myself an SG Std this year, I'm gonna go down to the local shop and inspect it thoroughly. I'd rather pay a little extra and know what kind of a guitar I'm buying. I suggest you guys do the same with any purchase.

the knobs cracking in half seems to be a common issue of late

I've got some cash coming in within a month or so and since bills are finally caught up I am looking at a new guitar.I miss not having a Gibson LP (even though my Epi LP std plus top looks and sounds great)Their seems to be a lot of concern in quite a few threads about Gibson quality especially the LP's.I really like this LP studio in white with the black hardware and the ceramic 496,500t and the ebony fretboard it should scream.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar/h25218

I havent seen one around at the local shops and ordering without playing it and checking it out first scares the hell out of me.Is the quality of Gibson LP's really getting as bad as I read lately.I looked up all the Gibson LP studios on Musicians friend and boy there's quite a few more variations of LP studios and some really nice ones.

Dont let this sway you from buying your lespaul.I personally will never buy another guitar without playing it and doing a complete look over.My Gold top that I played and checked out after returning the other two is perfect.I feel that in the past couple of years they have let a lot of Guitars pass inspection that would of been put in the dumpster as seconds because of the economy.This is no excuse!Instead of letting some of these guitars pass they should just raise the price and let people decide if they want to spend the extra money for a PERFECT Les paul or spend the money else where.Just make sure that wherever you order your new guitar from that they have a good return policy on special order guitars.Guitar Center was great and provided me with excellant service.My sales person told me whatever I wanted to do would be fine.They even gave me an extra 15% of on the Gold top because they new I really wanted a Burst and I settled for what was in stock.So in total they gave me 30% off on it. Just be sure to look the guitar of your dreams over from top to bottom.Good luck and enjoy the new fiddle!

I don't know....to me, "quality is critical," regardless of price point!

Epiphone seems to be doing great, quality, and QC wise, these days. They

had their own "issues," at one time, but seem to be doing well, now. And,

they are a lot less expensive, than the comparable "Gibson." I just think

Gibson, get's a bit sloppy, these days. I don't know "why," really...but

there does seem to be more, than usual, for some reason?

When the "Tribute" guitars came out, at their really decent price point, by

examples posted on this forum, there were a LOT of little (mostly finish, but

some structural, as well) issues, that from a QC standpoint, should NEVER have

been let out of the factory. They should have been stopped, right there, and

refinished/repaired, or dumped! The next batch, was MUCH better, overall.

You don't have to "raise the price," to guarantee quality...just do what's needed

(and, advertised) in the first place! I really don't think their slogan: "Only A

Gibson Is Good Enough," was meant to imply "only good enough!" Yet, even their

old time dealers, are having issues, with the quality, much too often. I hear it,

a lot, anymore...and that's Very Sad, to me! Yet, when they get it right, they're

still awesome guitars! My most recent "Custom Classic" is one they got "right!"

It's flawless! ;>)

CB

Got a Strat coming today. Got it from Sweetwater, where you can see pix of your guitar before you buy it. Your salesperson inspects the axe and phones you before he ships it.

You can do a lot better than Guitar Center. I think the consensus is that that they're the worst vendor out there.

Gibson isn't helping themselves by imploding either. Maybe the QC will improve when Henry goes to the big house. [biggrin]

Im withya on the buying from Sweetwater. I've bought 2 highend gtars, (Gretsch 6128T-TVP, Jackson SL1T Soloist), and they were flawless. Sweetwater inspects every ax that goes out. I only buy from SW Sound.

Im withya on the buying from Sweetwater. I've bought 2 highend gtars, (Gretsch 6128T-TVP, Jackson SL1T Soloist), and they were flawless. Sweetwater inspects every ax that goes out. I only buy from SW Sound.

Hey Tedmac,

Probably a really dumb question, sorry!! But is your avatar a picture of Lips from Anvil? I am not particularly a metal fan or anything but I just finished watching a documentary on that band, is the reason I ask.

Hey Tedmac,

Probably a really dumb question, sorry!! But is your avatar a picture of Lips from Anvil? I am not particularly a metal fan or anything but I just finished watching a documentary on that band, is the reason I ask.

The avatar pic is of the super awesome RONNIE JAMES DIO

R.I.P.

The avatar pic is of the super awesome RONNIE JAMES DIO

R.I.P.

Hi Laferfanny,

Thanks! That is the second new thing I learnt today! [biggrin]

That avatar just looked like Lips to me. The shot is at a bit of an angle and I wasn't sure. Just read up about Ronnie James Dio on wiki, definitely want to hear his voice as it focused heavily on that in the write up. Thanks again!

typo Lagerfanny :)

I'm just sharing what i have been told from a store owner here in metro Detroit,Guitar Center will buy flawed guitars from Gibson and sell them at no mark down,and of course not pass the savings on,hoping that people like you won't see the flaws,GC makes more money at the expense of the consumer,i can't say i'd blame Gibson as i would blame Guitar Center for whoring.

I bought 4 Les Pauls in the last 5 years,1 custom,3 Standards and have had no problems with them.

However i don't know where you live and Guitar Center might be your only choice for buying gear,i buy from Mom and Pop stores.

I won't even buy cables from Guitar Center.

Just sayin

I'm just sharing what i have been told from a store owner here in metro Detroit,Guitar Center will buy flawed guitars from Gibson and sell them at no mark down,and of course not pass the savings on,hoping that people like you won't see the flaws,GC makes more money at the expense of the consumer,i can't say i'd blame Gibson as i would blame Guitar Center for whoring.

I bought 4 Les Pauls in the last 5 years,1 custom,3 Standards and have had no problems with them.

However i don't know where you live and Guitar Center might be your only choice for buying gear,i buy from Mom and Pop stores.

I won't even buy cables from Guitar Center.

Just sayin

Exactly, hes saying that so you wont go to GC and so he wont lose customers. Classic BS.

GC isnt that bad, this whole thing about being evil and stealing all musicans money is just dumb and immature. They sell gear like any other guitar store, if you buy a model from the floor then it will be ****. If you buy a model without looking at it then theres a chance it will be ****. You always check **** out before you buy it, at any store.

I will always support Mom and Pop stores first, but sometimes they can be a lot more expensive then a GC and my money doenst go on tree.

Well, you just have to find the "Right" Family owned dealer.

Mine is consistently below (quite often, remarkably so) the

Big Box stores, in price, and has excellent CS and product

inspection. If there's a major problem, they return the

defective guitar, to the manufacturer. IF it's a small

"mechanical" problem, that they can fix, they do that, before

they put it out, on display. Any "shop worn" items, will be

discounted, even further...as they should be!

I don't "hate" Guitar Center, or any of the Big Box stores.

They have their place, and I've purchased a lot of accessory

stuff, there. But, I will always buy my guitars, from my

"family owned," dealership. A lot of the "Chain/Big Box

Stores, are actually run very well, with knowledgable sales

staff. But, like any chain store business...it all boils

down to the management. Good management, who hire good CS

and sales staff=good store! Those that don't...well, we've

all had That experience! ;>)

The other thing, I like about a Family owned dealership, is

you build more of a relationship, with them, being a repeat

customer. They get to know you, what your expectations, are

how you like things "set up," etc. You can do that, too, with

a Good "Big Box" store, IF they have stable management, and staff,

that doesn't change personnel, all the time. But, it's quite

rare, to find that, in a Chain/Big Box store.

CB

QC is bad everywhere. Not just guitars. We needed a

new stove. Bought 1 from Lowes. The glass top was chipped

from when it was installed (no a shipping issue). Lowes

ordered a second one. The door fell off when they unpacked it.

We went to another store and ordered a differenct brand. It' top

wasn't installed correctly and was loose.

Back to Lowes we went and ordered a different brand - more expensive

this time, hoping for better quality. Fourth time was a charm. Although

it did have a very small scratch the delivery person noticed. It was on the

side and would be hidden. He called the store (we didn't even ask him to) and

they offered another 10% discount if we would keep it vs. returning it. It wasn't

a big deal, but since they offered, we took it.

The Lowes sales person told us, they have to eat the cost on these and

will fix and sell the bad ones as "blems" on their floor. The manufacturers

will not take responsibility for them. So, perhaps Guitar Center has a deal

with Gibson that they take all items shipped and just deal with whatever they

receive. Make more money on some, less on others, break even, but never a loss.

Archived