Gibson Brands Forums

Valve jr. tubes

allbee420

what tubes have you tried and what sounds have you got? Looking for a cleaner sound and a dirty marshal sound from different amps.

Please clarify .... do you mean you have 2 VJs and want one "cleaner," one "dirtier"? For dirt, the standard 12AX7 and EL84 is plenty dirty for me (although not necessarily "Marshall-ish" ) ... to "clean" it up a bit, try a 12AT7 pre-amp tube .... or mod/have it modded - there are a LOT of possibilities available for the little beasts, if you're open to mods. With only 2 tubes, few options that route.

• 3 months later...

You can change the preamp tube to a 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AY7.. or 5751..

they all have slightly less or quite a bit less gain and will give you more clean

'on the dial'

but not really more power or more clean power..that is the EL84 produces only a certain amount of cleans before it overdrives.

JJ tubes are very good in the stock valve junior.

One of the easiest things you can do your amp to increase clean headroom, as well as improve the overdrive, and all the tone in a vj

is to replace the output transformer.

especially if you have one that reads 7K instead of 5K! (its' on the top label, small box inside amp behind tubes)

There is a 15 Watt OT, USA made, too.. for 30.00 that will just make it almost a whole new amp.

That job requires only .. let me think.. ah.. six wires removed and resoldered. And one hole for a screw in the chassis.

You don't have to go near anything dangerous because two of the wires, to the board, are plug types. just unplug 'em.

but don't fool around in there! they can hold 400Volts!

Marshall mods are what I am most requested to do.. people want tighter lows because the stock amps are too muddy.. they want the overdrive

right but the tubes are getting the wrong volts, they have the wrong values in certain parts, and more.

But boy do they sing when you get 'em right.

I've swapped the power tubes to 6V6 for the plexi vibe.. I've put in EL34s, for 10 watts.

I'm starting an Ampeg toned build pretty soon, I think.

I just sent one out Supro style and he loves it.

That's just my way of saying.. though I've been so busy I can't get in here much.. I can help you figure out what you need to do with any vj.

I've probably done about 40 of 'em.

But it's dangerous and some things are difficult.

Very sad they are discontinued.. best platform for modification out there in the five watt amps!

Archived