Gibson Brands Forums

Callous Care

Rich W

I’ve got reasonably good, thick callouses on my fretting fingers.

But I bend and slide a lot, and they’re constantly getting “grooved” and messed up with little edges that catch on strings. Also, sometimes when I play for a couple of hours, they soften up and make playing “sticky.”

I try to keep my callouses flat and smooth with an emery board, and this helps a bit. Do you have any suggestions for maintaining them and keeping them hard and flat and dry?

Guest Farnsburger

I’ve got reasonably good, thick callouses on my fretting fingers.

But I bend and slide a lot, and they’re constantly getting “grooved” and messed up with little edges that catch on strings. Also, sometimes when I play for a couple of hours, they soften up and make playing “sticky.”

I try to keep my callouses flat and smooth with an emery board, and this helps a bit. Do you have any suggestions for maintaining them and keeping them hard and flat and dry?

Apply surgical spirit and allow to evaporate twice a day.

I guess the only thing to keep them would be to keep your fingertips out of water or anything else that may moisturize them. I don't have callouses myself and I'm playing all the time. My fingertips aren't soft but they're sure not hard either.

Guest Farnsburger

I guess everyones fingers callouse differently. With me it was just time, I didn't really do anything but play.

Agreed, the problem I do have is my fingertips are leathery, not hard, and they tear and crack with prolonged playing. Also, strait out of the shower/bath they're soft and the issue is worse. The reason I suggest surgical spirit is it hardens the callouses. All that said, it's no big problem and I don't do anything myself. If I avoid playing when my skin is softened after a shower/bath I have no problem but if it might help the op I'll share it.

Have not had a problem with callouses on the tips for decades.

I just make sure when I lotion my hands I don't do the tips on my fretting hand.

I do notice the side of my pointer finger, which I barre with, can get tender.

Guest Farnsburger

I haven't played since the 16th of September and all mine are gone....When I go home for the holidays its gonna huuuurt!

It will, but I had a break from playing of about 3 years a while back and after I started playing again it took hardly any time, like my body had remembered (strange but true). Hopefully you'll experience the same!

It will, but I had a break from playing of about 3 years a while back and after I started playing again it took hardly any time, like my body had remembered (strange but true). Hopefully you'll experience the same!

I really hope so...I am planning to pickup with slide at first anyway.

All I ever had to do was play a lot. And I mean A Lot! Keep in mind, calluses aren't put on the tips of our fingers so we can play guitar. Our body's respond to friction and force by depositing calcium in the irritated spot, the more you irritate the spot, the more calcium will build up. The longer the calcium is there, the harder it is to remove. Hence, the more you play, the better your calluses will be.

That's why Hand Models try to avoid Framing Hammers.

Archived