Gibson Brands Forums

Swapping out tuner keys... is it possible?

Whale

I've got a Les Paul Special Double Cut reissue that came with the lima bean style tuners. I've seen a LPSDCs with the keystone or greenish tulip style buttons and they look much better than the white beans.

Rather than going through all of the trouble and cost to swap out my tuners, is it possible to swap the buttons/keys alone?

The site below sells the keys.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/TK7711.htm

My LP stays in tune perfectly. This is just one of those vanity things.

So has anyone done this or is it even possible?

If you're talking about original Kidney Bean style Grover tuners...

It's just a guess, but adding "VINTAGE REPLICA LATE 50'S SINGLE RING KEYSTONE BUTTONS" to them probably won't work.

http://www.grotro.com/Mainoriginalrotos.html

RotomaticOriginal102series.jpg

Grover does however have replacement pegs for their tuners.

http://www.grotro.com/Mainrepbuttns.html

1c.jpg

I've got the Gibson Deluxe tuners on there now. Although I've always had better luck with the Grovers keeping tune, I don't want to swap out for the Grover style. To do so would mean I'd have to ream the tuner hole out and I'm really not interested in doing that.

I want to stay with the Gibson Deluxes. I just want to go with the tulip style buttons.

I've got a Les Paul Special Double Cut reissue that came with the lima bean style tuners. I've seen a LPSDCs with the keystone or greenish tulip style buttons and they look much better than the white beans.

Rather than going through all of the trouble and cost to swap out my tuners, is it possible to swap the buttons/keys alone?

The site below sells the keys.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/TK7711.htm

My LP stays in tune perfectly. This is just one of those vanity things.

So has anyone done this or is it even possible?

it is not possible to swap out the buttons on those tuners. They are NOT the same machine referred to by Whale [i believe they are actually made by Gotoh]. If you want the tulip-style buttons, you'll have to purchase a new set of tuning machines, since the plastic buttons or knob ends are moulded onto the shafts.

[someone may correct me on this, since most of my experience with loose plactic tuner buttons was pre-cyanoacrylate, BUT... it is a botch to try to glue knobs onto tuning machine shafts and have the job hold up over time.]

Regards,

J/W

[-X

I figured that I owed future readers an answer to my question.

I spoke with a couple of luthiers about swapping tulips for the lima bean buttons on Gibson Deluxe tuners. All three said it is possible, but is a bit of a pain in the butt.

To swap the buttons you first have to remove the tuners. Next you need to heat the shaft until the button comes loose. Most times, this melts the plastic so at this point you've basically ruined the button. It won't work if you try to refit it. Once you have the button off you use super glue or an epoxy to fit the new (tulip) buttons. All three luthiers suggested epoxy as you run the risk of not having enough time to fit the button on correctly before the super glue dries.

So there you have it.

I think that I'll just go ahead and pick up a set of used tulip tuners. That way I can always return the guitar to it's original state. If I screw it up now someone 30 years down the line will be asking, "What the hell was the guy thinking?"

I figured that I owed future readers an answer to my question.

I spoke with a couple of luthiers about swapping tulips for the lima bean buttons on Gibson Deluxe tuners. All three said it is possible, but is a bit of a pain in the butt.

To swap the buttons you first have to remove the tuners. Next you need to heat the shaft until the button comes loose. Most times, this melts the plastic so at this point you've basically ruined the button. It won't work if you try to refit it. Once you have the button off you use super glue or an epoxy to fit the new (tulip) buttons. All three luthiers suggested epoxy as you run the risk of not having enough time to fit the button on correctly before the super glue dries.

So there you have it.

I think that I'll just go ahead and pick up a set of used tulip tuners. That way I can always return the guitar to it's original state. If I screw it up now someone 30 years down the line will be asking, "What the hell was the guy thinking?"

yeah it is possible I saw a video posted on this forum, heat the new buttons in some water then heat the tuner, by heating the tuners in water you make the plastic a little soft, easy to push onto the tuner then allow them to cool.

the gibson deluxe tuners are made by either Tone Pro's or Gotoh although I do know that Grover also makes Klusons replicas (Gibson Deluxe)

check this out

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/75540-double-ring-kluson-tuners/

Thanks for that information. It would not be something I would try, but then again , I'm not handy with plastic and metal... This guy is SOOO calm and relaxed, he almost convinces me I MIGHT be able to do it.

[This job would have been dead easy in my drinking days. I could tackle ANYTHING back then. LOL! [laugh] ]

Regards

J/W

:blink:

I've got the Gibson Deluxe tuners on there now. Although I've always had better luck with the Grovers keeping tune, I don't want to swap out for the Grover style. To do so would mean I'd have to ream the tuner hole out and I'm really not interested in doing that.

I want to stay with the Gibson Deluxes. I just want to go with the tulip style buttons.

Your original post said:

"I've got a Les Paul Special Double Cut reissue that came with the lima bean style tuners."

Do you mean you now have these "Button" tuners?:

kluson-plastic-button-tuners-3-per-side-gibson-style-nickelwhite-type-sd9005mnp_23148_300.jpg

And not these Kidney Bean tuners:

Grover-102C-2.jpg

Replacements for Klusons here.

I'm not sure if you can mix and match between Tulips and Buttons

http://www.wdmusic.com/replacement_tuner_buttons.html

Thanks to the members who have posted information to this thread. I appreciate your patience ! I have learned a lot from participating in it.... some of which I wish I had known back in 1967 when I acquired my first Gibson: a '62 ES 330.

I never did fix the loose button correctly, but she was still a beauty! [wub] Wish I hadn't a traded her! ](*,)

J/W

B)

Archived