Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j-45 strings

wheelband

Hi, was just wondering if anyone could answer my question. Recently purchased a brand new 2011 Gibson J-45 Standard. It is awesome!!! Just wondered what strings come as standard on these when they are sent out from the Gibson factory. I like them and would like to buy spares for when I replace them.

Look forward to your replies.

Many thanks

Tom

I agree that original equipment stings may go flat quickly .... every Gibson I pull off the store wall seems to have dull strings. I made them change strings before I even would consider buying my new J45.

Speaking of which, I am having a little issue that may relate to strings. So I started with D'Addario lights .012 and they went muddy on the low e in a hurry. So I tried Elixir 12s and they held up on the bass but were overall too bright. The tech suggested D'Addario EXP med (13s) which seem to have a good balance and be a little warmer. They are new so we'll see if the low end gets muddy. I do like the lights though so will try the EXP 12s next.

I hope that muddy issue can be resolved with strings or set up. I hope it's not a charastic of this particular J45. Does the esteemed panel have any experence with low end J45 "muddy" issues? Any input or suggestions?

Muddiness on the low E is certainly an issue with rosewood guitars, but I dont find this to be the case with mahogany. In particular mahogany Gibsonss, as I find when the strings fade on my CW and SJ the Gibson low 'E' thump gets a little duller but its still very much there, wouldnt call it muddy though.

I agree that original equipment stings may go flat quickly .... every Gibson I pull off the store wall seems to have dull strings. I made them change strings before I even would consider buying my new J45.

Speaking of which, I am having a little issue that may relate to strings. So I started with D'Addario lights .012 and they went muddy on the low e in a hurry. So I tried Elixir 12s and they held up on the bass but were overall too bright. The tech suggested D'Addario EXP med (13s) which seem to have a good balance and be a little warmer. They are new so we'll see if the low end gets muddy. I do like the lights though so will try the EXP 12s next.

I hope that muddy issue can be resolved with strings or set up. I hope it's not a charastic of this particular J45. Does the esteemed panel have any experence with low end J45 "muddy" issues? Any input or suggestions?

Muddiness on the low E is certainly an issue with rosewood guitars, but I dont find this to be the case with mahogany. In particular mahogany Gibsonss, as I find when the strings fade on my CW and SJ the Gibson low 'E' thump gets a little duller but its still very much there, wouldnt call it muddy though.

Agree with EA on this.

I wouldn't say the bass on my J-45 gets muddy as the strings age, but the low E gets a bit more thumpy, which I actually like. MB 12 trebles stay pretty bright over time. I'm experimenting with how long I find a set of MB 12s to be acceptable. Going on more than six weeks of daily use right now. Was fairly dissatisfied at about three weeks, but they actually seem to have gotten better since, or at least they are more balanced.

I'm away from that guitar now for the next 2 1/2 three weeks, and will certianly change strings when I return, but not before seeing what they sound like at that point. Not being cheap: just experimenting with tone. I pull out my 000-28 EC for comparison periodically. The Clapton's Choice strings on that go dead in about two weeks, or at least get fairly muddy. Rosewood guitar, after all.

By the way, my addiction to this forum is showing. I'm sending this at 37,0000 feet over Arizona, headed for CA. Internet on airplanes: who woulda thunk it?

All kidding aside... I find that how I play tends to make more difference than the string brand, string size the same, at least. I think there's a diff too between the Elixir nano and polyweb "sound." in terms of ringing out.

So many variables, so little time to mess with 'em.

m

All kidding aside... I find that how I play tends to make more difference than the string brand, string size the same, at least. I think there's a diff too between the Elixir nano and polyweb "sound." in terms of ringing out.

So many variables, so little time to mess with 'em.

m

what's the difference "nano" and "poli" about you ?

the nanoweb is a lighter gore-tex coating on the strings, the polyweb is a thicker coating.

Gore-tex is a very light waterproof but "breathable" membrane.

From the company - and by the way, Gore-Tex developed Elixir strings as I recall:

"The GORE-TEX® membrane is the heart of all GORE-TEX® products. It contains over 9 billion microscopic pores per square inch. These pores are 20,000 times smaller than a water droplet, but 700 times larger than a water vapor molecule, which makes the GORE-TEX® membrane durably waterproof, while allowing perspiration to escape from the inside. An oleophobic, or oil-hating, substance is integrated into the membrane, preventing the penetration of body oils and insect repellent that could otherwise affect the membrane."

Other companies have copied Elixirs, but I think not very well.

m

Glad you are enjoying the Sunbeams. On my last chage I tried Martin Eric Clapton choice and while they were great at the beginning the tone faded rather fast and they started to sound somewhat generic. Has same experience with John Pearse PB's.

The Sunbeams are backon and I like their mellow, chimey tone, guess thats why the are called Sunbeams.

Thanks to EA, I’ve been using sunbeams on my j45. They sound warm from the get-go.

chasAK

The right strings can make a good guitar sound great, and a mediocre guitar sound better. But they ain't gonna make a silk puse out of a sow's ear.

The great thing about playing with different types of strings is that it's a cheap experiment that may unlock some unknown character in a guitar. It also is completely reversible, and a cheap way to chase tone.

There is no "right" string for a J-45. I use MB Premium 12's as the baseline, and move out from there.

Hi, was just wondering if anyone could answer my question. Recently purchased a brand new 2011 Gibson J-45 Standard. It is awesome!!! Just wondered what strings come as standard on these when they are sent out from the Gibson factory. I like them and would like to buy spares for when I replace them.

Tom, got my J-45 in Feb and like you I think it's wonderful... mine came with Masterbuilt .012's, I tried D'Addario's first (hopeless), then Martins (not great), then went back to Gibson Masterbuilt. Got fed up with them going off after about 3 weeks (I was playing most days, for fun not peforming) so tried Elixir, which I use on my electric and I find them great and last for months. I took them off within a week, hated them! So I am resigned to changing the Masterbuilt's every three weeks or so... [crying] This said, it will all be down to your playing style and the tone you want, of course.

Also have recently been trying.013's but decided they don't work for me on my J-45. I'm sticking with the configuration as I bought it.

Enjoy!

Simon

Simon, try DR Sunbeams. They have a very similar, warm tone as the Masterbuilts but they last much, much longer. I also have the same issue with Masterbuilts, love the early tone but they die quicker than any other strings Ive tried.

Tom, got my J-45 in Feb and like you I think it's wonderful... mine came with Masterbuilt .012's, I tried D'Addario's first (hopeless), then Martins (not great), then went back to Gibson Masterbuilt. Got fed up with them going off after about 3 weeks (I was playing most days, for fun not peforming) so tried Elixir, which I use on my electric and I find them great and last for months. I took them off within a week, hated them! So I am resigned to changing the Masterbuilt's every three weeks or so... [crying] This said, it will all be down to your playing style and the tone you want, of course.

Also have recently been trying.013's but decided they don't work for me on my J-45. I'm sticking with the configuration as I bought it.

Enjoy!

Simon

Simon, try DR Sunbeams. They have a very similar, warm tone as the Masterbuilts but they last much, much longer. I also have the same issue with Masterbuilts, love the early tone but they die quicker than any other strings Ive tried.

OK, will give them a try (even though I have a stock of Masterbuilts bought cheap online - not that they'll last long...), had tried to get DR's after another recommendation but my local shop doesn't stock them. Thanks for the tip.

Just dont cut them until tuned to pitch and dont stretch them. They are made round core and opposed to hex core like most strings (dont ask me what this means, but they are made differently) and stretching them or cutting them early can make them sort of fall apart.

OK, will give them a try (even though I have a stock of Masterbuilts bought cheap online - not that they'll last long...), had tried to get DR's after another recommendation but my local shop doesn't stock them. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for all your useful replies! I will get some Gibson masterbuilt 12's as this appears to be the most common that people have said it is likely to have shipped with and may try some of the other suggestions people have kindly listed in the future.

Many thanks,

Tom

Look forward to your replies.

Many thanks

Tom

Tom,

We use a proprietary string at the factory, which for some strange reason, isn't offered for after-market. I've asked our guys in Gear division to add these to the masterbuilt line. They will be available next year. In the mean time, the D'Addario 80/20 lights (12's) is the closest commercially available string. The Gibson phosphor bronze masterbuilt are a bit warmer than the 80/20, which is what I use on my J-45 Custom. I like the bigger warmer tone the rosewood with the PB produces. But go with the 80/20's if you want more balance.

This string is not coated, as as you see in other comments, depending on the player they can degrade quickly. Mine last well but my daughter destroys hers in no time.

Best, Dennis at Gibson

Dennis...

I see you made your first "notes" here.

Welcome to one of the more interesting batch of miscreants you'll come across on line. <grin>

I'm older than dirt and still learn something on these Gibbie forums every day.

m

Archived