Gibson Brands Forums

How much for an ES-135?

irishdazzler

Hi Guys,

firstly sorry for all the posts lately (I have a lot of time on my hands) but here is another question for you (that may need to be moved?)

I have a neighbour that has just offered to sell me his Es-135 but neither her nor I have any idea how much its worth.

we also don't know that much about it other than:

It was made in 1992

Its in pretty good condition (I couldn't see any dings or scratches)

so how much is it worth?

thanks for the help

This is a great looking guitar which I lusted after around '92

It may have P100's which were not universally enjoyed...being a hotch potch P90/HB hybrid

It probably has a tailpiece....

Some quality issues around that time and model...

Therefore IMO not worth a huge amount even in exceptional condition...

It might be fair to explain the realities to the vendor and if totally smitten make a lowish offer....say £500....

The current evolution ES 137 Classic and Custom are well regarded and IMO vastly superior instruments....

V

:-({|=

Thats brilliant Versatile.

I was thinking about £600, which isn't too far off.

you are right about the tail piece and the pickups (from what I can tell)

I would think about putting a bigsby on there, so If i get it for £500 then the rest can go on one of those.

thanks for the reply

does anyone else agree or have a different valuation?

thanks

Dazz

I bought one of those new. It was antique sunburst with P-100's and a trapeze tailpiece, which I had replaced with a stopbar, which improved the sustain and tone. The guy who installed the stopbar told me that when he drilled the first hole, the drill went through the maple top and almost went too far into the center block because the wood was real soft--he was a little more careful with the second hole! No damage done, and I had no trouble with the installation, but if you're considering a similar mod, be careful with that drill! I think the block was Chromyte, which was Gibson's trade name for balsa wood. I don't know what one would be worth in the UK--I seem to recall that I paid around $600 US for mine new in '92.

Archived