Gibson Brands Forums

a Les Paul or an SG for a Bigsby

irishdazzler

Hi guys,

as a little side project I fancy fitting a bigsby to a little Epi and I'm thinking either pick up a 2nd hand Les Paul or an SG for the project

what do you guys think?

I know a few people think that a Bigsby looks over sized on either of these two but I quite like the look.

so which one is cooler - the LP or the SG?

Hi guys,

as a little side project I fancy fitting a bigsby to a little Epi and I'm thinking either pick up a 2nd hand Les Paul or an SG for the project

what do you guys think?

I know a few people think that a Bigsby looks over sized on either of these two but I quite like the look.

so which one is cooler - the LP or the SG?

They're both cool. B) Different guitars though so different model Bigsby's are required. B7 for LP and B5 for SG. Actually you can put a B5 on an LP too. Bigsby's rock.

That depends on what your definition of "cooler" is.

What the heck do you mean by "which one is cooler"?.

Well I like both guitars, but I actually like playing the LP better than the SG - but I far prefer the looks of the SG

but either way, this is going to be a little project and I'll admit its more for looks than playability

so what I was actually asking was, in your opinion, which Guitar looks cooler with a Bigsby attached?

does that answer your question Brad1?

They're both cool. B) Different guitars though so different model Bigsby's are required. B7 for LP and B5 for SG. Actually you can put a B5 on an LP too. Bigsby's rock.

thanks supersonic - I'm actually going to give the vibramate system a go, so I'll probably use the B5 for either of them

That is pretty sweet - both the one from Twang and from you JCWillow

it really seems that the LP is the favoured vehicle for the ole Bigsby.

I think it suits the guitar....but something is drawing me to the SG also...... damn it

Tough call both my Ebony 56 reissue LP and my Korina SG are facing this decision also, not sure what to do! Can't wait to see what you decide!

my 2 cents ... the vibramate, BTW, sucks ...

my surf-SG

yours

wolfi

I agree......Vibramates kill some of the tone............Anyways, my next Bigsby goes on a Gibby SG, the Bigsby after that goes on an

Epi White Les Paul Studio with all gold hardware and gold Gibby pickups, this will be followed by Bigsbys on some Teles, followed

by a Bigsby on a Gibby Les Paul, followed by........etc etc......I've even seen them on Flying Vs......

I've never had a problem keeping a Bigsby equiped guitar in tune, and with the right gear they'll resonate and sustain better than a TOM/Stoptail arraingement.

A Wilkinson roller bridge, good tuners and a Tusq XL nut and you're golden.

I've never had a problem keeping a Bigsby equiped guitar in tune, and with the right gear they'll resonate and sustain better than a TOM/Stoptail arraingement.

A Wilkinson roller bridge, good tuners and a Tusq XL nut and you're golden.

hi!

same thing here (i have a gotoh roller bridge). but not with the vibramate ...

yours

wolfi

PS: that flying v really looks ... special ...

Well it looks like an SG is the prime candidate - and I agree, Cherry Red all the way.

bit of a shame about the vibramate, as Im naturally cautious and I hate the thought of drilling a guitar!

in the mean time, Ive picked up a little bargain in one of these bad boys

(was trying to post an image here - but the board says you cant post jpegs - really???? anyway, its an epiphone branded B5)

not sure if its much worse than a Bigsby original, but I like the thought of keeping it as original as possible

any experience of these??

If anyone lusts after a Bigsby, I always ask if they have already tried using it and they are sure that's what they want. I was hugely disappointed with the feel/response after being used to Strat trems. Stability and tone were fine, but a Bigsby is so "spongey" and requires more travel for the same effect. And a pig to re-string quickly in low light on stage.

I've owned Bigsbys, Strats, Stetsbar and short Maestro, and for technique, stability and ease of restringing, the Maestro is definitely my favourite.

100_0308.jpg

Archived